Old 28-01-2010, 01:14 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Default Propagating crepe myrtle

I want to propagate crepe myrtles from cuttings. I have done the obligatory
googling and it seems that it can be done using either hardwood cuttings in
winter or softwood cuttings in summer.

Is there any difference in either the technique or the results? Does
climate make a difference to which method is better? My climate is a hot
summer and cool winter.

David

Old 28-01-2010, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

I wouldn't worry, try both methods yourself. It will only cost you a
little effort.
Its fun to experiment and learn.
Whether there is or not, I would say, going into Autumn would tend to be
more successful.
As in cuttings in a hot summer, (unless youre able to beat the heat by
planting in a cool place,with good light, the best way) usually leads to
higher percentage of failures.

Old 28-01-2010, 10:10 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I want to propagate crepe myrtles from cuttings. I have done the
obligatory googling and it seems that it can be done using either hardwood
cuttings in winter or softwood cuttings in summer.

Is there any difference in either the technique or the results? Does
climate make a difference to which method is better? My climate is a hot
summer and cool winter.

David

Take some 15cm cuttings in March and put then in ordinary potting mix. Put
them in a shady spot that gets water. They will lose leaves over winter and
about half will shoot out with roots. I also have heard you can do root
cuttings as there are dormant buds but never tried it. I tried growing from
seed they sprouted but they damped off and died om me. I am just to mean to
use a fungicide.

Now does your crepe myrtle get mildew or not?

Old 29-01-2010, 01:56 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I want to propagate crepe myrtles from cuttings. I have done the
obligatory googling and it seems that it can be done using either
hardwood cuttings in winter or softwood cuttings in summer.

Is there any difference in either the technique or the results? Does
climate make a difference to which method is better? My climate is
a hot summer and cool winter.

David

Take some 15cm cuttings in March and put then in ordinary potting
mix. Put them in a shady spot that gets water. They will lose leaves
over winter and about half will shoot out with roots. I also have
heard you can do root cuttings as there are dormant buds but never
tried it. I tried growing from seed they sprouted but they damped off
and died om me. I am just to mean to use a fungicide.

Would that be hardwood or softwood cuttings in March?

Now does your crepe myrtle get mildew or not?

I don't have any yet. The project is to acquire some.

David

Old 29-01-2010, 07:42 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
[...]

The cuttings I took were of current years growth they would be classed as
semihardwood cuttings.

How many cuttings do you want? Mine is a mildew resistant variety so looks
good all year around in all its different phases. Must admit it is one of my
favourite trees.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
[...]

OK

How many cuttings do you want? Mine is a mildew resistant variety so
looks good all year around in all its different phases. Must admit it
is one of my favourite trees.

I want a few dozen as I have a big garden to fill up.. There are many CM
street trees in the district so I will ba able to choose the colours that I
like. They seem to thrive on neglect getting through heatwave, frost,
drought and flood with no problem.

David

Propagating crepe myrtle David Hare-Scott[_2_] Gardening 6 29-01-2010 11:45 AM
crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 2 27-08-2003 04:32 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
crepe myrtle kate Gardening 12 14-04-2003 01:44 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 02-01-2003 01:55 AM