Old 25-02-2010, 04:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default a new tomato record?

i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year - i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie

Old 25-02-2010, 08:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:31:55 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year - i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie

I have about 30 Roma's all still green. The bloody birds are watching them closely.

Old 25-02-2010, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:31:55 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year -
i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie

I have about 30 Roma's all still green. The bloody birds are watching
them closely.

I have lots of romas. The bloody fruit flies are watching them closely from
the inside.

Old 25-02-2010, 01:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year - i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie

It is indeed. Our tomatoes were fairly late coming on too this year. They
also aren't a brilliant crop either. I've managed to make one lot of Rich
Tomato Pickle but nothing beyond that other than salads and grilled toms and
done with basil, garlic and olive oil on a certain baker's crusty bread - no
usual glut and there is something boring into the Black Rusian stems. The
apples will be brilliant though.

Old 27-02-2010, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:31:55 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year -
i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had
ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie

I have about 30 Roma's all still green. The bloody birds are watching
them closely.

I have lots of romas. The bloody fruit flies are watching them closely
from the inside.

birds & possums (?) have been watching mine from within and without.
actually, now i'm starting to wonder if i'll get any at all!!
kylie
(damn these people trying to mess with my world record!)

Old 27-02-2010, 08:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:18:45 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

birds & possums (?) have been watching mine from within and without.
actually, now i'm starting to wonder if i'll get any at all!!

Sliding deftly from tomatoes to eggplants (NB: still within the genus!),
my Thai eggplant, that have been throwing me a few now and then to toss
into a green curry or laksa, have had fruit disappearing suddenly
overnight. Last night, I actually heard rustling as I passed the door
near them, and this morning there are no fruit to be seen. I suspect
either a rat or a possum, as there are both about at the moment. Grrr.

I reckon the same creature was having a go at my jalapeños too, but
didn't get beyond the skin. Ha! I only hope it enjoyed it as much going
as coming.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"And it burns, burns, burns, burns
Old 27-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tterbot View Post
i'm putting up my hand as winning the record for tomatoes this year - i.e.
the record for the slowest-ripening tomatoes!!

i have romas & (self-sown) tigerellas growing, & to date have not had ANY
ripe ones!! there are one or two that are thinking about turning orange.

without wanting to brag, this is surely impressive by anyone's standards
g.
kylie
Hi there
If you don't mind me asking whereabouts in the globe are you? I haven't even started my tomatoes for this year yet! Last year I had a bumper crop...I tried out a thing called an Earthbox I got from Harrod Horticulture...only planted three plants in it and got well over 200 super tasty tomatoes from it...can't praised the thing enough. You have to try it to believe the difference it makes.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Ross McKay" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:18:45 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

birds & possums (?) have been watching mine from within and without.
actually, now i'm starting to wonder if i'll get any at all!!

Sliding deftly from tomatoes to eggplants (NB: still within the genus!),
my Thai eggplant, that have been throwing me a few now and then to toss
into a green curry or laksa, have had fruit disappearing suddenly
overnight. Last night, I actually heard rustling as I passed the door
near them, and this morning there are no fruit to be seen. I suspect
either a rat or a possum, as there are both about at the moment. Grrr.

I reckon the same creature was having a go at my jalapeños too, but
didn't get beyond the skin. Ha! I only hope it enjoyed it as much going
as coming.

.... which reminds us you can make chili spray to keep pests off!
(apparently).

yesterday i picked some orange tomatoes, which i know will ripen, but it's a
bit silly.
(out of the record running now,)
kylie

Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:25:09 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

... which reminds us you can make chili spray to keep pests off!
(apparently).

Perhaps, but capsaicin is active in mammals only, AFAIK. It's an
evolutionary thing developed to keep mammals from eating chilis because
our digestive tracts destroy the seeds, whereas birds pass them through
intact (and fertilised!)

However, there's the remnants of two lovely red cayenne chilis hanging
off their stems next to a trellis now, demonstrating that something with
teeth is quite happy to nom them! :/
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"The man wi the ladder is as bad as the thief"