GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First frost for the year... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/189845-first-frost-year.html)

Jeßus 03-03-2010 08:44 AM

First frost for the year...

....last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Anne Chambers[_2_] 03-03-2010 09:03 AM

First frost for the year...

Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

Bummer! Hope our first frost is not on its way for a while (in SE SA) - I have *lots* of green tomatoes!

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 03-03-2010 10:52 PM

First frost for the year...

Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot
of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year? How does that limit
what you can grow?

David

Jeßus 05-03-2010 03:41 AM

First frost for the year...

Anne Chambers wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

Bummer! Hope our first frost is not on its way for a while (in SE SA) -
I have *lots* of green tomatoes!

Good luck!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Jeßus 05-03-2010 03:56 AM

First frost for the year...

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot
of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking :)
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and October.

How does that limit what you can grow?

Well, I'm still learning a lot, having only lived here for about 18 months.
Most of my gardening experience is in the tropics, so basically I'm
learning all over again.

The only real problem is frost - we get quite severe frosts here, which
is fine for many Brassicas and Parsnips.

I have a couple of temporary hot houses for the time being, until I can
build the one I really want. The hot house does help, although by no
means protects against frost. I do know a few locals growing veggies
('local' being within the same shire - my property is fairly isolated)
and I do need to write down the times they plant their veg.
I've been going by the instructions on the seed packets, or what info I
can find online - which so far doesn't really suit the conditions here,
so it seems.
Been looking for satisfactory methods for supplementary heating for the
hothouse - "satisfactory" meaning not fueled from non-local sources like
gas or electricity. I know of one local who adapted a wood heater, but
of course very tricky regulating the heat... and he did have one
disaster where he melted the plastic using this method :)

I've also learned many times over that in general, claims by nurseries
of a given plant or tree being 'frost hardy' is a load of you-know-what!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 05-03-2010 07:09 AM

First frost for the year...

Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a
lot of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the
climate here in N.E Tas :)

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking :)
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and
October.

That sort of variation must be a real killer. I bet you don't have a big
problem with cabbage moth though.

How does that limit what you can grow?

Well, I'm still learning a lot, having only lived here for about 18
months. Most of my gardening experience is in the tropics, so
basically I'm learning all over again.

Tell me about it......

I went from 1/6 acre to 50 acres, from sand to clay and from coastal
moderated climate (8C to 34C) to no maritime effect (-6C to 44C).

[...]

Oh yes. We planted 75 "frost hardy" acacias which grew from 30cm to 140cm
in 7 months through the warmer months. The first hard frost hit and 65
turned black and dropped dead.

David

SG1[_3_] 05-03-2010 07:23 AM

First frost for the year...

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
[...]

On the positive side 10 survived.

Jeßus 08-03-2010 03:08 AM

First frost for the year...

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
...last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a
lot of tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the
climate here in N.E Tas :)

So what is your probable frost-free period of the year?

Not a lot... safe to say frost-free between Jan and mid Feb. I'm not
joking :)
It's been known to have frost here on Xmas day, and we had out first
frost here this year on 28th Feb.
Aside from the above - most frosts seem to occur between April and
October.

That sort of variation must be a real killer. I bet you don't have a big
problem with cabbage moth though.

You'd lose that bet, unfortunately for me :)
I think the cabbage months first made their presence felt here about
two months ago, I try to spray the brassicas with dipel once a week... I
often forget though.

The other insect problem I have here is sawfly larvae, which have made a
mess of my young cherries, pears - and now they're starting on my plum
and prune trees. Again, using dipel on these, as it seems to be the only
organic spray I know of that seems to help.

snip
I went from 1/6 acre to 50 acres, from sand to clay and from coastal
moderated climate (8C to 34C) to no maritime effect (-6C to 44C).

I'm also a fair way inland, previously right on the coastline.

snip
I've also learned many times over that in general, claims by nurseries
of a given plant or tree being 'frost hardy' is a load of
you-know-what!

Oh yes. We planted 75 "frost hardy" acacias which grew from 30cm to
140cm in 7 months through the warmer months. The first hard frost hit
and 65 turned black and dropped dead.

Frustrating, isn't it?

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

ezylala 08-03-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeßus (Post 878959)
....last Sunday. If only it was another 2 weeks away - still had a lot of
tomatoes close to being ready.
And so much for the pumpkins and pickled cucumbers.
Oh well, thats how it goes - still learning the quirks of the climate
here in N.E Tas :)

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

good luck for that matter JeAyus..just be patient, they will all grow as you wish..;)