Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default The second coming is here!

Having survived the hot summer when they go dormant my globe artichokes are
re-growing now the weather is cooling. And guess what....

I am going to have autumn flowers as well as the usual spring ones. I could
get used to two crops a year.

Hallelujah brothers and sisters! Hallelujah!

David

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Having survived the hot summer when they go dormant my globe artichokes
are re-growing now the weather is cooling. And guess what....

I am going to have autumn flowers as well as the usual spring ones. I
could get used to two crops a year.

Hallelujah brothers and sisters! Hallelujah!

Gotta get around to growing some globe artichokes one of these days...

Even though totally unrelated:
Looks like my Jersualem Artichokes are close to flowering now, at long
last. Frost permitting...
Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried them,
no idea what they taste like.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jeßus wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Having survived the hot summer when they go dormant my globe
artichokes are re-growing now the weather is cooling. And guess
what.... I am going to have autumn flowers as well as the usual spring
ones. I
could get used to two crops a year.

Hallelujah brothers and sisters! Hallelujah!

Gotta get around to growing some globe artichokes one of these days...

Even though totally unrelated:
Looks like my Jersualem Artichokes are close to flowering now, at long
last. Frost permitting...

You live in a fridge, mine have been flowering for months.

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried
them, no idea what they taste like.

I don't know them.

David

Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jeßus wrote:

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried them,
no idea what they taste like.

Quite similar to JAs, though smaller and more fiddley to prepare.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
Having survived the hot summer when they go dormant my globe artichokes are
re-growing now the weather is cooling. And guess what....

I am going to have autumn flowers as well as the usual spring ones. I could
get used to two crops a year.

Hallelujah brothers and sisters! Hallelujah!

David
congrats Mr.David.. can you post some pictures of your globe artichokes? i would love to see it..
__________________
vegetable garden
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Jeßus wrote:

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried them,
no idea what they taste like.

Quite similar to JAs, though smaller and more fiddley to prepare.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Is that NY WOG or New York Western Oriental Gentleman?????

Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"SG1" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Jeßus wrote:

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried them,
no idea what they taste like.

Quite similar to JAs, though smaller and more fiddley to prepare.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Is that NY W_G or New York Western Oriental Gentleman?????

And that would make you white trash?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
Jeßus wrote:

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried
them, no idea what they taste like.

Quite similar to JAs, though smaller and more fiddley to prepare.

Well that leaves them out as far as I am concerned as I already find
Jerulsalem artichokes fiddly enough.

David

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"SG1" wrote:

Is that NY WOG or New York Western Oriental Gentleman?????

See also Seed Saver's Exchange sooper sekrit code.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered User

Hi All...
I am going to have autumn flowers as well as the usual spring ones. I could
get used to two crops a year.all the best....
Old 18-03-2010, 12:31 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
wrote:

Also have Chinese Artichokes established - but have not yet tried them,
no idea what they taste like.

Quite similar to JAs, though smaller and more fiddley to prepare.

The pics I've seen, they look like little white grubs
The plant itself is growing/spreading like crazy right now... I'm
starting to wonder if I chose a suitable spot or not to plant it - in
amongst what are mostly herbs. If it keeps growing at this rate, it's
going to take over.

My JAs are very close to flowering now. In typical unpredictable
fashion, February here was pretty cool and we even had frost. March has
been much warmer... quite a few days close to 30°, so a lot of things
are still powering on. Even my tomatoes, most of which lost all foliage
in the first frost are still alive, with the fruit ripening nicely.
Oh but it *will* get cold here, no doubt about that... typical
mid-winter temp minimum is around -6°.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Old 18-03-2010, 01:42 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Gary Woods wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Geez sounds like Alice Springs in winter.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw