Old 15-04-2010, 01:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Best time to prune

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?
Old 15-04-2010, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:32:28 -0700, tathraman wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

After flowering. Water well first.

Old 15-04-2010, 10:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

On 15/04/2010 10:46 AM, terryc wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:32:28 -0700, tathraman wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

After flowering. Water well first.

When youre in a good mood and the missus isn't around to supervise.
Old 15-04-2010, 10:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:32:28 -0700 (PDT), tathraman wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

August.

Old 15-04-2010, 11:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

August.

Why August? Wouldn't that just encourage crap loads of new growth as the
weather warms up??????

Old 15-04-2010, 01:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

On 15/04/2010 6:34 PM, Loosecanon wrote:
wrote in message
On 15/04/2010 10:46 AM, terryc wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:32:28 -0700, tathraman wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

After flowering. Water well first.

When youre in a good mood and the missus isn't around to supervise.

Well put!

Thank you. I was getting a bit depressed, having struck the problem
previously.
Us sensitive new age guys need encouragement.
Although I'm starting to be devious too!
Sometimes the chainsaw seems a great alternative.
Pity the guys at the local Model aircraft club who chainsawed the plants
blocking the view of the members, and the chaps who planted them. There
was hell to pay.

Old 15-04-2010, 01:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:51:13 +0000, PC wrote:

Sometimes the chainsaw seems a great alternative.

Funnily, I'll do anything else but start up the chainsaw. 99% of the
living stuff I cut can be done with a 6' folding saw and that includes
one foot diameter trees.

Dead wood, I acculmulated a great pile and do it in one batch.

Old 15-04-2010, 01:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

wrote:

I have a row of natives in front of my house - mostly melaleucas,
callistimons and pittosporums which have to be cut back to preserve my
ocean view. When is the best time to do this?

August.

Why August? Wouldn't that just encourage crap loads of new growth as the
weather warms up??????

You just prune em low enough.....Hold the fertiliser,
Old 15-04-2010, 04:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:51:13 +0000, PC wrote:

Sometimes the chainsaw seems a great alternative.

Funnily, I'll do anything else but start up the chainsaw. 99% of the
living stuff I cut can be done with a 6' folding saw and that includes
one foot diameter trees.

I tend to do my pruning the same. Even reluctant to use electric and petrol
hedgetrimmers. They do it quick but on closer inspection hack the crap out
of things. With a measured saw, lopper, seceteur and anvil cutter the cuts
are cleaner and accurate above shoots. Downside is when you do it all the
time your hands pay for it.

Old 15-04-2010, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

On 16/04/2010 12:19 AM, Loosecanon wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:51:13 +0000, PC wrote:

Sometimes the chainsaw seems a great alternative.

Funnily, I'll do anything else but start up the chainsaw. 99% of the
living stuff I cut can be done with a 6' folding saw and that includes
one foot diameter trees.

I tend to do my pruning the same. Even reluctant to use electric and petrol
hedgetrimmers. They do it quick but on closer inspection hack the crap out
of things. With a measured saw, lopper, secateurs and anvil cutter the cuts
are cleaner and accurate above shoots. Downside is when you do it all the
time your hands pay for it.

The chainsaw was used to do the job without arguments and was done
furtively. Prune was the wrong word. Massacre is. Never use a chainsaw
to prune.
Old 15-04-2010, 11:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:47:38 +0800, "Loosecanon" wrote:

August.

Why August? Wouldn't that just encourage crap loads of new growth as the
weather warms up??????

That's the whole idea of it. Nice new compact growth. Give them a feed at the same time.

Old 16-04-2010, 12:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

I prune at groundlevel like Wal Footrot. The one remaining trunk of the
apple tree & suckers are soon to be pruned.

Old 16-04-2010, 02:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

All very interesting! I'll do it in September when I get back after a
long cruise.
Thanks everybody.