Old 30-04-2010, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default any whipper-snipper experts here?

"David Hare-Scott" writes:
No and I am by no means an expert on these things but I will have a guess.
The heavier line pulls harder due to centrifugal force and this is slowly
unreeling it, luckily at a useable rate. In any case bless the day that you

A centrifugal force can undoubtedly be identified here, but I discounted
it as being the principal factor accounting for the line playing out at
the perfect rate because, were it the principal factor, then it would seem
to lead to a run-away condition: the more line that unreels the faster it
would unreel until it hit the metal cutter and then it would keep on
unreeling and chopping off pieces until none remained! This does not
happen. Despite using it on vastly different areas of grass, varying
from sparse dry summer grass to thick wet buffallo, it continues to feed
out automatically, apparently, as needed and not to excess.

The spool rotates because a dozen teeth (*) on its underside mesh with a
dozen teeth on a plate on the shaft of the electric motor. The only way
it can play out more line is for the two sets of intermeshing teeth to
slide over each other by at least one-twelfth turn. Normally this is
brought about by tapping the head on the ground, causing the two sets
of teeth to separate. As I never tap it on the ground, the teeth must
be sliding under load. I've been anticipating they may all get ripped
off, but it hasn't happened yet. Touch wood!

The limited pressure of the flimsy spring that presses the teeth on the
spool onto the toothed drive plate must be allowing slippage, but not
to excess, otherwise I would hear the change of sound as the metal cutter
came into play to trim off the excess line.

(*) there's probably a better term than "teeth" but none springs to
mind ATM
Old 30-04-2010, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Electric motors can get overloaded, as Len says. You cannot change physics.
They just react differently They can burn out suddenly.
Not to say it will though. It depends on how tough a build the motor is.
With continues running it most certainly will.
But with short burts, and cooling time between, it will probably go a long
time.

"John Savage" wrote in message
gardenlen writes:
i'm wading in a bit late here but all i can add is that you shouldn't
run line in these machines that is thicker than that recommended by
the manufacturer, if you have the work for heavier line then you need
to look at upsizing the machine to suit the purpose, by the sounds of
it something around a 20++cc straight shaft model?

also running the heavier line could cause clutch slippage and clutch
burn out, plus as i found the engine needs to work harder.

Hi Len. Appreciate the caution about overloading petrol trimmers.
But that's not what I'm using.

I wrote:
I use an electric line-trimmer to mow a grassy area of stony ground

^^^^^^^^

whipper snipper Sandgroper Australia 19 13-05-2006 01:19 PM
whipper snipper problem mickfarrell United Kingdom 0 05-05-2004 10:30 PM
Which Line trimmer/whipper Snipper? PandA Australia 3 25-08-2003 05:42 AM
Any Walnut Tree Experts here? jhultman Gardening 0 07-08-2003 07:02 PM
Line Trimmer/Whipper Snipper Advice Digger Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM