Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Found a 'Stinkhorn' in the yard... / help I.D this fungi?

Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.

Ewwwww... I've no idea what it is, but it looks horrible - like the dead feet of a crazed killer chicken
Let's hope it hasn't crossed Bass Strait...

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:21:15 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.

OK, I think it could only be Aseroe rubra-

"This fungus is like a large, land, sea anemone with outstretched red
tentacles and an evil-smelling brown-green slime in the centre. The
fruiting body emerges from an 'egg. It has a very unpleasant odour,
like rotting meat, to attract flies (which then spread the spores).
# It grows on rich humic soils in sheltered spots. In Victoria, Aseroe
rubra occurs almost exclusively in alpine areas, but in Tasmania it
has been recorded from lowland sites close to the northern coast. It
is also in New Zealand, New Caledonia and New Caledonia, with related
forms further afield. "
From:
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/plant_i...EN T_ID=72342

And...

"These fungi produce spore slime, which has an intense smell of
rotting meat or sewage. They are very common on wood or bark-chip
mulch in gardens, and on deep litter on the rainforest floor. There
are a number of differently shaped species, but all are readily
recognisable by the smell of the spore slime.

Cases of human consumption are not known, but the smell is attractive
to dogs, and possibly cats. Deaths of small dogs have occurred. The
toxins are unknown, but are thought to develop during the enzymatic
liquefaction of the spore slime. They are generally gastro-irritants.
Toxicity category 2 Warning Seek urgent medical attention for any
ingestion."

from:
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/poisons...khornfungi.asp

Cheers
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 04 May 2010 17:59:03 +0930, Anne Chambers
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.

Ewwwww... I've no idea what it is, but it looks horrible - like the dead feet of a crazed killer chicken

Wait until you smell it

Let's hope it hasn't crossed Bass Strait...

Heh. Check my other reply Anne, it seems they're on the mainland as
well!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.

Ewwwww... I've no idea what it is, but it looks horrible - like the dead feet of a crazed killer chicken

Wait until you smell it

Let's hope it hasn't crossed Bass Strait...

Heh. Check my other reply Anne, it seems they're on the mainland as
well!

Oh Gawd - do you have a flamethrower ?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Found this near the front gate yesterday arvo:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1045gcp.jpg

And yes - it certainly does stink

I've done a bit of searching in a bid to identify it, turns out to be
a fungi.

Thing is, there seems to be similar looking fungi in a variety of
genus from what I've read. Is it Aseroe rubra, pseudocolus sp, or
something else? Most likely the former, I think.
I'm located in N.E Tas.
Cheers.

There is another one that I have had grow in the garden that puts up a
single fruiting body that is shades of lurid pink and looks extremely
phallic. I got the spores in a load of bark mulch.

David

Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day,

yes the stinkhorns found all over australia as i know it we get them
hee in qld as well, quiet a number of different looking ones come
under that tag, one looks more like a phallus an other looks like a
lobster pot. they are there helping break down organc material in your
garden.

On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:21:15 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV

len