Old 16-05-2010, 11:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Potash for citrus

Hi to all

What would you recommend as a high potash fertiliser for citrus trees?
Thanks
Sandra

Old 16-05-2010, 03:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Chicken manure, and not the factory pelletised stuff.
Its makes citrus sit up and take notice.

Chook poo is good for citrus but it is not high in potassium. If you are
sure that potassium is required then the quickest and cheapest source is
potassium sulphate. You can buy a 500g packet for $8 or 20kg sack for $40
(IIRC). The sack will last a very long time. It must be applied sparingly
and well watered in. I wouldn't be applying it until spring.

Despite being synthetic potassium sulphate is an acceptable input according
to organic standards. If you picture "organic" meaning synthetic fertiliser
is bad then there is no logic to this at all. The reason is most likely
that there are very few non-synthetic fertilisers that are high in potassium
and most of those are ash which tends to be very alkaline.

David

Old 16-05-2010, 03:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

Here we go again...
First of all expenerience tells me its chook poo the tree needs.
Solve the potassium stuff after the tree fails to respond. That hardly ever
the case. If the tree is not producing flowers, then is MAY be a problem.
But its usually not the case. Its in need of a tonic. Chook poo has enough.
While I cant analyse it from where I'm sitting it pays to start with the
essentials.
People are always being told that if you want something to flower you should
add Potash.
No one say how much. The result is the nutrients can get unbalanced.
Better to do it safely...Add the other stuf later perhaps, and as David
says, preferable spring time, though if the weather is still warm, a light
application can help as a tonic till spring...Its usually in the process of
shutting down for winter at this point so doesnt require much.

..

Old 16-05-2010, 08:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day sandra,

as with your other post you don't say where abouts you are locality
wise that is.

how was the determination made that your citrus need potash?

we grow citrus wherever we live and never add anything to our citrus,
get good fruit as well we mulch heavily with green type mulches and on
odd occassions they get some used water with wee added.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:10:40 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 17-05-2010, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

.

Jonno wrote:
Chicken manure, and not the factory pelletised stuff.
Its makes citrus sit up and take notice.

Chook poo is good for citrus but it is not high in potassium. If
you are sure that potassium is required then the quickest and
cheapest source is potassium sulphate. You can buy a 500g packet
for $8 or 20kg sack for $40 (IIRC). The sack will last a very long
time. It must be applied sparingly and well watered in. I wouldn't
be applying it until spring. Despite being synthetic potassium sulphate
is an acceptable input
according to organic standards. If you picture "organic" meaning
synthetic fertiliser is bad then there is no logic to this at all. The
reason is most likely that there are very few non-synthetic
fertilisers that are high in potassium and most of those are ash
which tends to be very alkaline.

David

Jonno wrote:
Here we go again...

Here we go where again? Do you mean jumping to conclusions with too little
real information and too little understanding of the matter? Now that you
mention it that does sound sort of familiar.

First of all expenerience tells me its chook poo the tree needs.

And your ESP. You know nothing about the specific situation other than a
request was made for potash for citrus. Sandra may or may not know what is
wrong but you assume that she doesn't and sight unseen you also assume that
it is something that chook poo will fix. Chook is not a panacea for citrus
trees.

Solve the potassium stuff after the tree fails to respond. That
hardly ever the case. If the tree is not producing flowers, then is
MAY be a problem. But its usually not the case. Its in need of a
tonic. Chook poo has enough. While I cant analyse it from where I'm
sitting it pays to start with the essentials.

But analysing sight unseen is what you are in fact doing. Why guess?

People are always being told that if you want something to flower you
should add Potash.

Except that we don't know that in this case. It MAY be so that the tree is
not flowering. It might be better to ask for clarification rather than jump
to conclusions.

No one say how much. The result is the nutrients can get unbalanced.
Better to do it safely...Add the other stuf later perhaps, and as
David says, preferable spring time, though if the weather is still
warm, a light application can help as a tonic till spring...

Except that this is quite the wrong time to be promoting growth or for
making citrus sit up and take notice. A "tonic" now is probably a waste of
time and may well do harm.

Its
usually in the process of shutting down for winter at this point so
doesnt require much.

You cannot quite make up your mind can you.

David

Old 17-05-2010, 06:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

I cant make up my mind? No I',m trying to allow for variables. Like you
should, but dont.
Neither can the weather.
I'm not a cynic. I'm surprised when someone asks regarding something, what
problem theyre trying to solve.
Being pandantic isnt my modus of operandi.
As a problem solver its my way to go.
I feel that youre slightly miffed and will do anything to out do me.
I try to use broad spectrum approaches.
Not narrow approaches.
Thats just being silly....

Old 17-05-2010, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

I cant make up my mind? Neither can the weather....Add the other stuf
later perhaps, and as
David says, preferable spring time, though if the weather is still
warm, a light application can help as a tonic till spring...

No I',m trying to allow for variables. Like you
should, but dont.
I'm not a cynic. I'm summise when someone asks regarding something, what
problem theyre trying to solve.
Being pandantic isnt my modus of operandi.
As a problem solver my way to go is to solve a problem.
I feel that youre slightly miffed and will do anything to out do me.
I try to use broad spectrum approaches.
Not narrow approaches.
Thats just being silly....
As I wrote, it doesnt pay to put a concentrated lot of stuff on when only a
small amount plus a generally great fertiliser will do it all.
I guess youre still using bulshit...

Now boys behave your self...

Old 17-05-2010, 08:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ok
I live in Perth, and I was reading the gardening section of the weekend
paper and in there to do list was add potash to citrus, thus my question.
My trees have flowers & plenty of fruit on them and I do fairly regularly
fertilise them with a citrus fertiliser (thrive) and add seasol.
Sorry for not giving more information before asking the question.
Sandra
"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day sandra,

as with your other post you don't say where abouts you are locality
wise that is.

how was the determination made that your citrus need potash?

we grow citrus wherever we live and never add anything to our citrus,
get good fruit as well we mulch heavily with green type mulches and on
odd occassions they get some used water with wee added.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:10:40 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:

snipped

Old 17-05-2010, 07:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day sandra,

for us we grow natural organic that is we do nothing unless the plants
show signs of something, any man made fertiliser does not fit into our
organic practises and we don't see it as being sustainable, and so far
we have never needed them we get fruit enough from our citrus and
always have done.

but gardeners make their own choices.

what is written in books and magazines all done to promote some
product or other, especially tv shows.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:06:29 +0800, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
snipped

Old 18-05-2010, 09:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

Youre doing all thats needed for your citrus.
What I said before (chicken manure) works wonderfully, and I've never had
any problems with citrus.
Seeing your local paper advised feeding it with potash, a light feed of
chicken manure would be advisable.
No point to overdo at the moment.

Old 19-05-2010, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

I, Jonno wrote:
Youre doing all thats needed for your citrus.
What I said before (chicken manure) works wonderfully, and I've never
had any problems with citrus.
Seeing your local paper advised feeding it with potash, a light feed
of chicken manure would be advisable.

You David wrote: Next spring

David
David,

I wrote :
Spring? Your solutions to save the world start then...or is it to take over
the
world....?
Didn't you read that? '"Seeing your local paper advised " It is
immediately apparent you don't know about Perth weather growing conditions.
See much further below.
Its not advised to add anything that may affect the growth of a tree by
adding something that may acidify
the soil by itself. Potash of sulphate does that.

That's why a balanced fertiliser is preferable.
It is because she's living where the climate is a little warmer at times.
even now perhaps?

This is further below

From a Perth site

Autumn in Perth: Autumn begins in March and finishes at the end of May,
although autumn in Perth is not typical of autumns most people would be
familiar with. Autumn in Perth is like an extension of summer, or perhaps a
second spring. With warm sunny days and cooler nights, there is still plenty
of sunshine left before the onset of winter. Although the weather is still
mostly fine, there may be an occasional shower or humidity.

Average Autumn Temperatures
March: Daytime 27-30C Overnight Minimum 15-18C
April: Daytime 24-27C Overnight Minimum 12-15C
May: Daytime 21-24C Overnight Minimum 9-12C

Winter in Perth: The mild Perth winter begins at the start of June and
finishes at the end of August. It is generally a rainy season, mingled with
cool sunny days. There are however occasional storms, characterised by
downpours of rain, lightning or thunder.

Average Winter Temperatures
June: Daytime 18-21C Overnight Minimum 9-12C
July: Daytime 15-18C Overnight Minimum 6-9C

Taking local conditions into consideration I would assume the Newspaper is
right about applying some fertiliser.

But potasium sulphate is only needed in small amounts.

Persistantly informed your friend Jonno

I have many sauces

And sources too!

Old 19-05-2010, 05:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message

Persistantly informed your friend Jonno

Persistently painful is more like it.

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 04:41 PM
Potash Hal Ponds 5 08-07-2003 05:32 AM
Muriate of Potash Joan Pomatto Ponds 29 06-06-2003 06:20 AM
THE OLD "POTASH" QUESTION MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 27-05-2003 04:08 PM
Muriate of Potash Brian Dugas Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:20 AM