Old 18-05-2010, 08:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What killed our grafted hawthorn shade tree?

We had a beautiful grafted hawthorn tree that had been in a plastic
tube thing, open to the ground, for a few years. The roots were well
established and the tree branches had grown to about 6 metres
diameter. Then we finally got around to the hard landscaping we had
planned, which included a 2 metre by 1.5 metre planter box around the
tree.

I think that the root system would have extended well beyond the
original plastic tube the tree was growing in.

This is a picture during the construction. The crazy paving was laid
on a 100mm slab where there had previously been grass.

http://tiny.cc/kexmg

This is what it looked like the next spring when it was in blossom.
Very healthy.

http://tiny.cc/u5xd2

Note that there are a couple of plants sharing the planter box with
the tree.

A year later it was dead. What changed?

The crazy paving over the grass and probably the root system.

The planter box gave the tree a much bigger volume of soil for the
roots to expand into. We thought that would help it.

We had a few days 40C and one day that hit 47C with a strong
northerly. That would have sucked all the moisture out.

We hadn't needed to water the tree much for years so we didn't start
watering it any more apart from the few days around the 40+ weather.

Ground cover was planted in the planter box. It grew vigourously and
soon covered the whole box and was flowing over the edges.

My view is that the ground cover sucked up all the available water and
was the major problem. What do you think?

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old 18-05-2010, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:54:20 GMT, Richard Sherratt
wrote:

My view is that the ground cover sucked up all the available water and
was the major problem. What do you think?

That is but one problem. There isn't enough soil for a plant that size. And the plant
would not have appreciated fresh concrete near it, few plants do. And the heat would have
really done some damage. What area are you in?

BTW, test the soil for alkalinity, you might have to replace it before you replant.

Old 18-05-2010, 01:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

My view is that the ground cover sucked up all the available water and
was the major problem. What do you think?

That is but one problem. There isn't enough soil for a plant that size.
And the plant
would not have appreciated fresh concrete near it, few plants do. And the
heat would have
really done some damage. What area are you in?

BTW, test the soil for alkalinity, you might have to replace it before you
replant.

The heat of the concrete pavers would have been enough.
It you aim to plant another, have at least 8 inches of soil over the roots,
and keep well watered.
Hawthorn though tough isn't invulnerable.
Try also using a soil wetting agent incorporated with the soil. It will help
a bit....
It was a beautiful tree...

Old 18-05-2010, 04:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:54:20 +0000, Richard Sherratt wrote:

My view is that the ground cover sucked up all the available water and
was the major problem. What do you think?

Basically, trees grow lateral roots out to the edges of the crow and this
is what takes in the water and nutrients. Yours just basically ran out of
nutrients and insufficient water.