GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Uprooted lettuce seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/191719-uprooted-lettuce-seedlings.html)

lilipili 26-05-2010 12:19 AM

Uprooted lettuce seedlings

I have prepared a lovely vegie bed and planted some seedlings of
lettuce, kale, silverbeet and snow peas just a week ago. It's been
raining so I have sprinkled spent coffee grounds and eggshells around
the seedlings to deter the slimy slugs and snails. This seems to be
working well. Last night I found 2 lettuces uprooted and slightly
nibbled. What would be uprooting the lettuce but not touching the
other seedlings. I hope I don't get home tonight to find more
uprooting? I put the lettuce back in - they should be fine. Can anyone
assist with identifying this strange activity? I'm going to sit in
wait soon! I'm stumped. It's such a delicate lifting of the roots!
Thank you!

Anne Chambers[_2_] 26-05-2010 01:54 AM

lilipili wrote:
I have prepared a lovely vegie bed and planted some seedlings of
lettuce, kale, silverbeet and snow peas just a week ago. It's been
raining so I have sprinkled spent coffee grounds and eggshells around
the seedlings to deter the slimy slugs and snails. This seems to be
working well. Last night I found 2 lettuces uprooted and slightly
nibbled. What would be uprooting the lettuce but not touching the
other seedlings. I hope I don't get home tonight to find more
uprooting? I put the lettuce back in - they should be fine. Can anyone
assist with identifying this strange activity? I'm going to sit in
wait soon! I'm stumped. It's such a delicate lifting of the roots!
Thank you!

Rabbits ?

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

terryc 26-05-2010 02:40 AM

On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:19:37 -0700, lilipili wrote:

Last night I found 2 lettuces uprooted and slightly
nibbled. What would be uprooting the lettuce but not touching the other
seedlings.

Black birds or similar insectivorous birds.

terryc 26-05-2010 02:42 AM

Uprooted lettuce seedlings

On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:24:29 +0930, Anne Chambers wrote:

Rabbits ?

You must have sick rabbits down your way. IME, any rabbit, except
extremely well fed pets, can make a young lettuce plant disappear.

Jonno[_20_] 26-05-2010 04:11 AM

Uprooted lettuce seedlings

Elephants can do this.
Depends on where she lives....
Emu' Ostriches. Turkeys?
Bush or rural.
Nasty neighbour?

lilipili 31-05-2010 03:05 AM

On May 26, 9:34*am, "Jonno" wrote:
Where do you live?
City bush state?"lilipili" wrote in message

I have prepared a lovely vegie bed and planted some seedlings of
lettuce, kale, silverbeet and snow peas just a week ago. It's been
raining so I have sprinkled spent coffee grounds and eggshells around
the seedlings to deter the slimy slugs and snails. This seems to be
working well. Last night I found 2 lettuces uprooted and slightly
nibbled. What would be uprooting the lettuce but not touching the
other seedlings. I hope I don't get home tonight to find more
uprooting? I put the lettuce back in - they should be fine. Can anyone
assist with identifying this strange activity? I'm going to sit in
wait soon! I'm stumped. It's such a delicate lifting of the roots!
Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

I live on the outskirts of the city near the Hills. It happened again!
- just one lettuce, completely uprooted. But nothing touching the
silverbeet, kale or snowpeas, except slugs, that have all been hunted
down.