Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Fungi on Elkhorn fern

I have found a brownish fungi on the underside of the leaves of my Elkhorn.
Last year I noted the same fungi when it killed off each infected leaf
commencing at the tips and working back into the plant.
The top of the leaf gets a series of brownish dots which show the complete
coverage of fungi on the underside. The fungi first appears as a shaded
area and develops into a raised growth four to five mms in height.
I have been cutting away the infected areas which seems to pull it up short.
However, is there a spray I could use and does this fungi have a name?

thanks,

Don

Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Donald R Smith wrote:
I have found a brownish fungi on the underside of the leaves of my
Elkhorn. Last year I noted the same fungi when it killed off each
infected leaf commencing at the tips and working back into the plant.
The top of the leaf gets a series of brownish dots which show the
complete coverage of fungi on the underside. The fungi first appears
as a shaded area and develops into a raised growth four to five mms
in height. I have been cutting away the infected areas which seems to pull
it up
short. However, is there a spray I could use and does this fungi have
a name?
thanks,

Don

This sounds to me like this is not a fungal growth but part of the fruiting
body of a fertile frond. See these pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platycerium

The one on the lower left (Platycerium superbum) shows a fertile frond
hanging down below the others with the thick brown lining.

Is there any chance of a picture of yours?

David

Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:25:10 GMT, "Donald R Smith" wrote:

I have found a brownish fungi on the underside of the leaves of my Elkhorn.
Last year I noted the same fungi when it killed off each infected leaf
commencing at the tips and working back into the plant.
The top of the leaf gets a series of brownish dots which show the complete
coverage of fungi on the underside. The fungi first appears as a shaded
area and develops into a raised growth four to five mms in height.
I have been cutting away the infected areas which seems to pull it up short.
However, is there a spray I could use and does this fungi have a name?

Sure they aren't the spores?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day don,

sounds like that would be the spore of the fern, in the wilds this is
how they prolificate, some gardeners revel in collecting it and
getting more plants a bit of art involved though.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:25:10 GMT, "Donald R Smith"
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

I'm sorry, but the bits I cut off, have gone with the rubbish.
This growth is more like a fur and I cannot conceive that it is spore-like.
The fact is that it consumes the frond completely if let go.

Don

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Donald R Smith wrote:
[...]

What colour fur?

David
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

It is the spore cases and will look like light brown felt. If you brush past
them you will get covered in a brown dust which is the spores. When they
have done their time the end of the leaves will wither and later the leaf
will die but in natures own way more leaves will appear.

elkhorn fern Jen Australia 7 20-03-2007 03:23 AM
Elkhorn ferns Jen Gardening 0 04-02-2007 04:46 AM
repost; URGENTt!!Fern People!!! can someone save my fern?? meee Australia 3 15-10-2005 09:36 AM
staghorn or elkhorn? Jen Australia 13 13-10-2005 05:47 AM
Semihydrophonics and fungi Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 8 09-02-2003 05:27 PM