GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gas drilling for your farm? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/192259-gas-drilling-your-farm.html)

PC 21-06-2010 12:35 PM

Gas drilling for your farm?

Download this and see if you are aware of this problem...

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podca...g_20100620.mp3

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 22-06-2010 03:03 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

PC wrote:
Download this and see if you are aware of this problem...

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podca...g_20100620.mp3

This issue will only get bigger. Australia wide we have a huge problem in
that the little fertile soil we have and coal seams are frequently
coincident in sedimentary basins. This means that mineral extraction from
those coal beds, coal and gas, is necessarily competing for land use with
food growing. We already have huge areas of productive land that has been
turned into a moonscape-wasteland, have a google earth look at
Singleton-Muswellbrook Look at the fabulous soil and water of the Liverpool
Plains, soon to be strip mined.

In addition to the conflict of immediate use we have the potential for long
term damage to the soil and water. There are many rivers that have already
been killed by mining, usually coal mining. For chapter and verse see the
movie "Rivers of Shame". Whenever an open cut mine closes down, the soil is
supposed to be remediated, that is the topsoil should be put back on top so
everything will go on as before. FAT CHANCE.

If Australia goes from a net exporter of food to a net importer (the trend
is heading that way) we are going to have to dig the coal and gas out and
ship it overseas quicker and quicker just to pay for our food.

I know that our present lifestyle is dependant on mining, you cannot simply
stop. On the other hand legislation is very biased in favour of the miners.
It is extermely rare for a mine not to be approved and this only happens
when powerful lobby groups get enough political leverage, it has little to
do with the actual risk to the environment. The miners have so much
influence with politicians, who love the royalties and export earnings, the
farmer and environment have no chance most of the time. Our pollies spend
their day ensuring they get elected in 3 years time not ensuring that our
grandchildren eat - that is SEP (someone else's problem). We need some
balance. We need somebody to take the long view.

This is an issue that will come back to bite us all in a generation or two
unless many more people wake up to what is happening and very soon. For as
long as this issue remains SEP we are at risk.

David

PC 22-06-2010 04:50 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

On 22/06/2010 11:03 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
PC wrote:
[...]

I'm glad we agree on something.
And you read it. Thanks.

PC 06-07-2010 02:34 PM

Gas drilling for your farm?

PC wrote:
[...]

It appears you're not quite so gratuitous

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 07-07-2010 12:28 PM

Gas drilling for your farm?

PC wrote:
[...]

Why should I be gratuitous? What about? Why am I not? How did it take 2
weeks to come to this conclusion?

David

terryc 09-07-2010 05:09 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:11 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Why should I be gratuitous?

You are being trolled.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 09-07-2010 06:21 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:11 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Why should I be gratuitous?

You are being trolled.

Yes, apparently life is dull in Mildendo right now.

David

PC 10-07-2010 03:07 PM

Gas drilling for your farm?

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:11 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Why should I be gratuitous?

You are being trolled.

Yes, apparently life is dull in Mildendo right now.

David

Dont know who wrote that. It wasnt me...

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 11-07-2010 02:33 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

PC wrote:
terryc wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:11 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Why should I be gratuitous?

You are being trolled.

Yes, apparently life is dull in Mildendo right now.

David

Dont know who wrote that. It wasnt me...

So you, a person who is known for using different names and for stirring the
pot on controversial subjects, are claiming that some unknown person used
the same software as you and the same server as you to mischievously imitate
your current most popular name.

Why would we believe that? Do you think that your past performance might
muddy the waters? Or is that your desire?

David

PC 11-07-2010 06:51 AM

Gas drilling for your farm?

On 7/11/2010 10:33 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
PC wrote:
terryc wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:11 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Why should I be gratuitous?

You are being trolled.

Yes, apparently life is dull in Mildendo right now.

David

Dont know who wrote that. It wasnt me...

So you, a person who is known for using different names and for stirring
the pot on controversial subjects, are claiming that some unknown person
used the same software as you and the same server as you to
mischievously imitate your current most popular name.

Why would we believe that? Do you think that your past performance might
muddy the waters? Or is that your desire?

David

I could care less what you believe. Its what I believe that's important
dont you think so too?