Old 26-06-2010, 04:08 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

Default A smart new winter garden predator

On 26/06/2010 11:16 PM, Loosecanon wrote:

there goes the organic status!!!! hehe

Was that the orgasmic status???????

Not sure I'd like to see you in your garden anytime soon! :^)

Oh I don't know, orgasmic may be alright in the right age group.
Unfortunately I'm not in that group....
Old 27-06-2010, 12:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"PC" wrote in message
On 26/06/2010 11:16 PM, Loosecanon wrote:

there goes the organic status!!!! hehe

Was that the orgasmic status???????

Not sure I'd like to see you in your garden anytime soon! :^)

Oh I don't know, orgasmic may be alright in the right age group.
Unfortunately I'm not in that group....

Memories of things past. Ah Memories

Old 27-06-2010, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

PC wrote:
On 26/06/2010 11:16 PM, Loosecanon wrote:

there goes the organic status!!!! hehe

Was that the orgasmic status???????

Not sure I'd like to see you in your garden anytime soon! :^)

Oh I don't know, orgasmic may be alright in the right age group.
Unfortunately I'm not in that group....

The too old group is always 20 years older than I am.

David
Old 27-06-2010, 01:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

On 27/06/2010 8:37 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
PC wrote:
On 26/06/2010 11:16 PM, Loosecanon wrote:

there goes the organic status!!!! hehe

Was that the orgasmic status???????

Not sure I'd like to see you in your garden anytime soon! :^)

Oh I don't know, orgasmic may be alright in the right age group.
Unfortunately I'm not in that group....

The too old group is always 20 years older than I am.

David

When ever sex rears its head, there's always responses....
They say I do, but not with you!!!!
Old 27-06-2010, 04:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"atec7 7" ""atec77\"@ hotmail.com" wrote in message

there goes the organic status!!!! hehe

I doubt it does more harm to the environ than the 410 pellets and it is
nice and quite

Old 27-06-2010, 01:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

"atec7 7" ""atec77\"@ hotmail.com" wrote in message

bait the trap with liquorice and wire to the truck

Huh? Can you explain?

Old 27-06-2010, 01:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

"atec7 7" ""atec77\"@ hotmail.com" wrote in message

Rat
Bait the trap with liquorice and wire to the trunk

LOL. I think I now get it - last post had a typo?? I had wondered if you'd
figured out a new way of using a truck battery to kill rats :-)) Now that
sounded very promising.

Old 27-06-2010, 01:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"atec7 7" ""atec77\"@ hotmail.com" wrote in message

Rat
Bait the trap with liquorice and wire to the trunk

LOL. I think I now get it - last post had a typo?? I had wondered if you'd
figured out a new way of using a truck battery to kill rats :-)) Now that
sounded very promising.

You will find the bait is quite difficult to remove hence markedly
increasing the chance of triggering the trap , wired to the tree trunk
does as well when placed in the normal transit path of the prey
Old 27-06-2010, 04:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:43:15 +1000, atec7 7 wrote:

Rat
Bait the trap with liquorice and wire to the trunk

That is distressing. Wasting liquorice like that.

Reminds me of the pound's advice on how to tempt a difficult to catch tom
cat into the trap; mortadella. Well, it worked. We decided the cat
wasn't get all of it and we'd have a little for lunch and during lunch
the cat promptly walked into the trap which I'd moved to the backdeck
just before lunch to bait after lunch..

Old 28-06-2010, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:43:15 +1000, atec7 7 wrote:

Rat
Bait the trap with liquorice and wire to the trunk

That is distressing. Wasting liquorice like that.

Reminds me of the pound's advice on how to tempt a difficult to catch tom
cat into the trap; mortadella. Well, it worked. We decided the cat
wasn't get all of it and we'd have a little for lunch and during lunch
the cat promptly walked into the trap which I'd moved to the backdeck
just before lunch to bait after lunch..

Did you make a Daniel Boone type hat? Wait you didn't bait it?

As a matter of interest was your trap like this or did it have a trip
plate: -

http://www.bellsouth.com.au/images/16.1/ptrap.JPG

Mine has a hook at the back which supposedly the cat pushes and the door
falls down. I have lent the trap to people and they used cooked porterhouse
steak to catch the cats.

Old 28-06-2010, 02:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:09:34 +0800, Loosecanon wrote:

Did you make a Daniel Boone type hat? Wait you didn't bait it?

Nope, we just took it to the pound like the two catches before it and
they destroy them for free.
The load after was the four kittens, of which two were very friendly. The
pound keeps kittens for a while and if selected, they get the full
treatment(desexed, vaccinated and chipped) before being handed over.

As a matter of interest was your trap like this or did it have a trip
plate: -

http://www.bellsouth.com.au/images/16.1/ptrap.JPG

No.

Mine has a hook at the back which supposedly the cat pushes and the door
falls down. I have lent the trap to people and they used cooked
porterhouse steak to catch the cats.

Ours has a tray which, when the animal treads on it releases a catch
letting the door drop. Trick is to put the food in a little container
right up the other end.

Generally we just used cheap cat nibbles. if they don't work at first, we
will drop a thin trail (1/foot) leading away from the cage. Twigged to
that when we threw some old nibbles out onto our unmown lawn and our cat
thought it was great fun to go around sniffing the lawn and finding them
(after ignoring them for a week inside).

Old 13-07-2010, 07:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:18:29 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

I have ripe oranges on the tree. Something is stealing and eating them.
Four fruit have been taken off the tree and left a few metres away. Each
has a neat round hole cut in the side about 5cm across, the small bits of
skin were left scattered about. The predator has then neatly eaten all the
flesh of the orange leaving an empty skin with a hole in it. No bird or
animal has been sighted nearby. There are no identifiable bite marks
anywhere to give away the culprit.

The bats have left for warmer latitudes and in any case they cannot eat on
the ground.

A mouse couldn't move the whole fruit and wouldn't need a hole that big.

There are no stray gouges from teeth marks that rats so often leave when
they eat something sizeable so if it is a rat it is the neatest one ever
seen who was very focussed on getting to the flesh while chewing the least
amount of skin.

Rabbits would go for all manner of other things in the garden before oranges
and there are no droppings.

I am thinking it is a possum.

It's a possum alright
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:45:58 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Anne Chambers wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Any views?

David

Possum - they have got all my grapefruit, the b+++++s got most of the
plums and apples too

The beggars got another 6 last night so I pulled the oranges, tangelos and
mandarins. We will see if they eat cumquats or lemons.

David

The possums don't eat my lemons, but they do eat the leaves of the
lemon tree!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 08:11:17 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

wrote:

Anne Chambers wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Sometimes installing a red light into the try being assaulted , bats and
possums don't seem to like bright red lights

Just don't put it above the door......

hahaha