Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default LIme sulfur or copper or sulfur spray

Hi All

I have just read an article in the gardening section of Friday's paper in
regards to pruning roses, they state after pruning you should spray roses &
ground with either copper or sulfur spray but not lime sulfur spray.
Why is this when Yates put out a product Lime Sulfur spray that states to do
this, I am confused.
What is the difference in these sprays?
Yes I have been on google to find all this out & left confused.
Cheers
Sandra

Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi All

I have just read an article in the gardening section of Friday's paper in
regards to pruning roses, they state after pruning you should spray roses
& ground with either copper or sulfur spray but not lime sulfur spray.
Why is this when Yates put out a product Lime Sulfur spray that states to
do this, I am confused.
What is the difference in these sprays?
Yes I have been on google to find all this out & left confused.
Cheers
Sandra

Don't prune until the first week in August or you'll burn the crap out of
new growth. Just to cold in Perth at the moment to contemplate this.

Lime sulphate would be calcium sulphate never used it.

I personally when pruning roses don't leave a single leaf on the bush that
means the leaves with black spot are gone. I make up a batch of 1/2 cup oil,
1/2 cup water, dessert spoon metho and a squeeze of dishwashing liquid.
Shake or blend then paint on the stems and buds straight away. This smothers
any scale or other nasties and does not burn the new growth. I find black
spot can also be lessened dramatically if you do a half prune in March.

This year in Perth has been excellent for roses as we haven't had a lot of
rain. The big storm cell that did all the hail damage some months back
dumped a bundle of nitrogen so a lot of things looked better for it. Shame
no real follow up rains.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi
Oops I have pruned this afternoon whilst the heat was in the day. A person
of supposed gardening knowledge said he thought the reason for not using
Lime Sulphur would be that it would make the ground more acidic...........
Lets hope the roses survive.....they have looked so good this year.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi All

I have just read an article in the gardening section of Friday's paper in
regards to pruning roses, they state after pruning you should spray roses&
ground with either copper or sulfur spray but not lime sulfur spray.
Why is this when Yates put out a product Lime Sulfur spray that states to do
this, I am confused.
What is the difference in these sprays?
Yes I have been on google to find all this out& left confused.
Cheers
Sandra

Gardening Australia on ABC last night advocated lime sulphur for roses....

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi All

I have just read an article in the gardening section of Friday's paper in
regards to pruning roses, they state after pruning you should spray
roses&
ground with either copper or sulfur spray but not lime sulfur spray.
Why is this when Yates put out a product Lime Sulfur spray that states to
do
this, I am confused.
What is the difference in these sprays?
Yes I have been on google to find all this out& left confused.
Cheers
Sandra

Gardening Australia on ABC last night advocated lime sulphur for roses....

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com

I watched that segment (Sunday afternoon replay) and I thought she did a
lousy job. Just as she moves away at the end you see the roses she pruned.
To much spindly stuff for my liking but maybe that is me. My opinion is that
anything over knee height on bush roses or hybrid T's is to much. You don't
want roses that go to the heavens and you don't want to many buds on each
stem.

She would have been better showing a standard rose that was established not
the 2 year old specimen that I assume was in a pot. The stake she used for
the standard was laughable. Standards need a solid stake and sometimes more
than one.

I go pretty hard on my roses and on customers and make enough from repeat
work each year. I guess it gets down to a limited time slot in your segment.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

I have to say this pruning of roses isn't as simple as all make out as
everyone has a different idea so I just start prune, and hope its all ok.
Mind year this year my roses have been fantastic, impressed with myself.
So thanks to all for there help.
Sandra

Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
I have to say this pruning of roses isn't as simple as all make out as
everyone has a different idea so I just start prune, and hope its all ok.
Mind year this year my roses have been fantastic, impressed with myself.
So thanks to all for there help.
Sandra

It has been an awesome year for roses in Perth. The weather has been ideal
for them.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

On 4/07/2010 10:43 PM, Loosecanon wrote:
"Sandra wrote in message
. au...
I have to say this pruning of roses isn't as simple as all make out as
everyone has a different idea so I just start prune, and hope its all ok.
Mind year this year my roses have been fantastic, impressed with myself.
So thanks to all for there help.
Sandra

It has been an awesome year for roses in Perth. The weather has been ideal
for them.

Roses are pretty forgiving.
The poms have worse weather and they can stand up to that as well.
Dont worry.
Trim them as you see fit, taking in as much as you can from others
(which can be a tad confusing)make sure you slant the cuts so water wont
be able to stay, near a bud that points outwards preferably.
I used to take pictures after to see what the results are afterwards.
Digital cameras make it so easy these days, and you can look back to see
how you did or didnt do.
Youl'l develop your own techniques.
Some will shudder at this advise, but its all how YOU enjoy the roses.At
least you care enough to get varied opinions.
Then throw in your own common sense.
My wife hasnt killed hers yet, but I cant convince her to fertilise
using cow manure and other treats.
They do wonders for most plants if given at springtime.
Lime sulphur. No problem. You did well.
See this link for further help.... It seems I'm right. Everyone is an
expert!!!And I wrote this before I found this link for you..
Bon appitit ....
http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2...se_bushes.html