Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Kale... what to do with so much

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

lilipili wrote:
I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)

How about adapting preserved cabbage recipes, for example sauerkraut?

David
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

lilipili wrote:
I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? Any recipes
to share? Our winter garden in Melbourne is incredible at the moment.
It's more abundant than it's ever been... snowpeas amass, asian greens
over flowing from beds, carrots, spinach and garlic coming along
ferociously... thanks to the wonderful rain :-)

Some vegetarian ones here
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd.../kale/top.aspx

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:45:48 -0700 (PDT), lilipili wrote:

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away. Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes
for this prolific vegetable? Has anyone ever pickled it? [...]

It makes a nice sauerkraut or kimchi. Just adapt one of those. It's very
nice in a simple kimchi with just kale, garlic and salt, fermented a few
days. Make it your own way, but here's some basic recipes for starters:

http://www.wildfermentation.com/reso...age=sauerkraut
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Sauerkraut
http://www.jasonunbound.com/kimchi.html
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
The planet is in a pickle, but fermenting will help save us
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:45:48 -0700, lilipili wrote:

I've got a lot of kale growing and it's growing faster than i can eat
and give it away.

I hope you choke on it, skite! {:-).

Does anyone have any innovative vegetarian recipes for
this prolific vegetable?

The chief cook just uses it in everything, salads, steamed, rissoles, etc.

Has anyone ever pickled it?

Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:15:39 +0000 (UTC), terryc wrote:

[...]
Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)?

Acetic acid is the major acid component of vinegar. Perhaps you meant
lactic acid? (i.e. standard fermented pickle)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
Old 15-08-2010, 03:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Aug 12, 6:06*pm, Ross McKay
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:15:39 +0000 (UTC), terryc wrote:
[...]
Stalk? Try it. Which form of pickling(salt, vinegar, acetic acid, ?)? *

Acetic acid is the major acid component of vinegar. Perhaps you meant
lactic acid? (i.e. standard fermented pickle)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
- The Wee Book of Calvin

Thanks everyone... i'm stuck inside with the rain and wind so pickles
it might be :-) Everything is growing wild now that the possum
proofing is up and the little critters have stopped eating EVERYTHING
in sight!