Old 26-08-2010, 08:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

g'day john,

in the past the female trap solutions have worked but not here in this
area, hwy i got no idea. we have some recipes on our remedies page,
ans as yet i have not heard back from anyone who has had success with
trapping females. many gardeners up her share our issues. didn't trap
a single female out of 3 or 4 different recipe traps last season.

there is a natural lure substance than needs to be sprayed around it
does warn not to get it on the fuit and it is a bee killer. so many
won'tuse it, it doesn't work as a female trap so far as others have
told me. and it is too expensive o buy and try also, but the bee bit
is enough for me.

trappng males has ben effective in the past, i don't know whether
males or even females are one hit wonders, would be interestig to
know, but may not help with management, i feel they all just merrily
keep mating on all season by the looks of our current issue here.

we run 6 male traps all year here about every 2 to 3 months through
summer we replace one on a rotatinal basis, they continue to work for
nearly a year. teh male bottles don't need to be trap botles and keep
the fly in once he is inside as it is the aroma of the wick that
attracts him and once he lands on the wick he gets a dose of
insecticide or he maybe even gets a wiff of the insecticide, so though
a male may exit teh bottle there is nothing to say he still will not
succumb. our trap vey similar to what i have seen on fruit farms. you
could just hand a wick out in the open it would still work only then
you can't monitor fly levels.

with the male traps they are away from the garden so there is no
conflict of arom's and if there was an effective female trap then i
can see it would be not so good to hang it near the fruiting plant as
the aroma of ripening fruit may over ride the aroma of he bottle and
then he effectiveness is diminited.

if you research their mating habits let us know, if anyone finds an
effective female trap ingredient there are many gardeners out there
who would like to hear about nothing more tedious than netting tom's
and capsicums whatever.

the best wick is the one tha looks like a cotton wool roll tight
wadded the one in the plastic holder not so good.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:37:53 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 29-08-2010, 09:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen writes:
more thinking of teh ingrediants which i will try this season, but
will still use my trap bottles so once in they can't get out and
usually drown anyway, just that the femal tropical fruit fly is very
hard to lure we run male fruit fly wicks in trap bottles not made to
hold the fly in in but to protect the wick from weather once in the
bottle they succumb to the pheramone small and land on the wick or
breathe the fumes and die.

Ah! I misunderstood you. I associate you with homemade lures and traps, so
when you said you were trapping mostly males, I pictured your vegemite +
sugar, etc., lure to be attracting a few females but lots of males. I see now
that you are using separate traps. (Though I wonder whether you couldn't
combine them, with the wick placed in the neck of the jar well above the
liquid lure? Especially if you could arrange for the females to not drown
or die, this would allow their natural pheromones to continue beckoning
in hordes of males.)

Anyway, by coincidence, on Don Burke's radio gardening program today
an expert was discussing fruit-fly traps. He said that as soon as females
emerge they head for a source of protein as this is required to get their
eggs developing. Once they have fed, their mission then becomes to find
a male and after that a suitable fruit to deposit their eggs. He said that
you have to catch them as soon as they hatch and before they get that
first protein feed otherwise they are not interested in your lure. From
this I would conclude that you'd need to have your female lures set right
from the word go, so they stand a good chance of intercepting those early
hungry virgin females.

The expert on the radio didn't explain exactly what sources of protein the
females would typically seek out, but I know yeast is a source of protein,
whereas sugar is not. The trap he was talking about was Eeco Natura Lure.

I recall reporting here some years ago on an article I'd read, where the
finding was that fruit-flies are strongly attracted to certain colours.
This varied with the species, but I recall bright purple being a strong
attraction for one species. (I'd guess they were talking about female
flies, with the idea being to have hanging around your garden lots of
sticky objects of the fly's preferred colour. That sticky fly paper that
you can hang from the ceiling could be a source of sticky stuff to put
near a bright purple plastic bottle. Or you could put your vegemite lure
inside a purple plastic bottle to give it an even stronger allure.

If, despite high levels of fly infestation, you are managing to trap few
females, perhaps they are hatching earlier than you allow for, or perhaps
the protein source or the Winter refuge for the flies is in a new location
where they are now hatching nearer to a source of protein than to your
traps? Thus they never pass by your lure, at least, not until they have
mated and are scoping out your back garden for some fruit in which to
deposit their eggs. It does seem counter-intuitive, but instead of
hanging female traps all around your own garden, maybe you need to
search for that person in the neighbourhood who is allowing fallen fruit
to rot on the ground and ask may you hang a few hundred female traps
throughout their backyard instead of yours during Spring and Summer?!

Good luck with your Spring trapping! Maybe there's a market for the pelts?

BTW, do you still have your eco-friendly "enviro throne" there Len?
Old 29-08-2010, 08:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day john,

hope you are well?

a lot in your psot but that is how it is with those of us attempting
to find ways of managing female fruit flies. i ave the understanding
the female hatches when conditions are humid enough and warm enough,
our star fruit indicaes that we are trapping male flies in low numbers
of course it is not season yet but have had no female damaged fruit.

naturelure is the one that contains spinosid or whatever it is called
no good for bees, and as i understand it those who use it, it needs to
be sprayed around the plant but not on the fruit, some fix yellow
buckets to the fence and spray it in there as well, have not heard of
huge success with it and it is expensive, and again as far as i know
doesn't work as in a trap scenerio.

i have had many chats with those using the product and they concur
that it won't work in a trap dack pot situation. asfor attracting
females into teh male trap and holding them mmm dunno? the attractant
in the male trap is a female pheromone mock so unless the animal
kingdom has become liberted then it doesn't attract females,and the
male trap as i see it needs to be somewhat open to allow the aroma to
float in the breeze which it does extremely well.

yes colours are often used i tried some sticky boards which caught a
small number of female fruit fly but trapped lots of other flying bugs
which are harmless in the garden and could be beneficial, also the
ones we bought online were made of cardboard so the action of the wind
caused them to tear and then the rain did as well, but all in all they
where of no success as we still lost nearly all our fruit. we tried
with blue and yellow tape around the bottles near the entrances with
no result obviously the coloured boards worked but not that well with
f/f.

so right! db's expert says about the protein he should know hey? that
is probably the crux of my issue the flies are not hatchng in my
garden, they are hatching in some other garden where the gardener has
very poor husbandry. so by the time the fly gets here she has fed and
is primed to mate or already mated, that make sense. what he calls
protein i dunno but guess it is derived from flowers of plants, always
flowers somewhere always in our garden. wdon't see hordes of females
just one or 2 hear and there.

maybe i'm looking in the wrong area but how often can a female mate
and lay eggs is this a one up affair or does she persist all season?
seems that way as the male fly population would have to be low to say
teh least.

in the past those recipes we have featured have worked so much so we
at least got 50% or thereabouts of our crop without the effort of
netting. that may be because then our next door friendly neighbour had
guava's that he allowed us to pick all immature fruit from and destroy
it, but unfriendly one had mango trees where all fruit eventually
ended upon the ground if the fruit bats didn't eat it, so guess then
on what d.b's expert said the female came right to our garden for
protein and fell fould of the traps.

so no aswers or help there for us and others like us as we have no
idea which gardener is infesting the area with the fly? we have been
here 5 years and up until 3 years ago our trap the male program was
delivering acceptable resuls then it all went haywire like someone had
planted a guava that came into fruit and became the population point
for the fly, my understanding that could be up to 4k away as the crow
flies.

so the nets will be out soon now as the tom plants are growing great
guns already needing tying. we got good fruit of the star fruit
because miraculously it fruited over autumn/winter and is still going
hope that keeps going as we then don't need to find a net for that
tree. or pick and dump all fruit when green.

sadly no we don't have our earth friendly throne, will set up a
humanure bucket if and when i can even if only for my persoannal use
modern mcmansions don't lend themselves to the versatility to allow
those who live in them much leeway for being responsible for ones own
waste. westill recycle much other rottable stuff into or growing
areas, keeps the land fill bin low in content. still promote that
responsibility though. we use nearly all water at least twice.

anyhow good chat if you learn something about these dreaded females
let us know i will pass i around where i hang out.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 07:45:25 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:

snipped

Old 30-08-2010, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

so right! db's expert says about the protein he should know hey? that
is probably the crux of my issue the flies are not hatchng in my
garden, they are hatching in some other garden where the gardener has
very poor husbandry. so by the time the fly gets here she has fed and
is primed to mate or already mated, that make sense. what he calls
protein i dunno but guess it is derived from flowers of plants, always
flowers somewhere always in our garden. wdon't see hordes of females
just one or 2 hear and there.

My understanding of protien is anything that is high in nitrogen. Is why i
suggested using some fresh manure. Put it in a clear plastic bottle drill
plenty of holes about half way up add some water and hang it in the trees or
around your perimeter. The ponk will have mainly females attracted to it.
You can make the holes small enough to keep most blowies out. But it doesn't
really matter as flies will drown in the liquid and cause there own ponk
attracting more victims. You do have to top up the water as it will
evaporate. You may have to empty the bottles or renew as they can fill up
quick. I notice in summer that dog poo not only attracts blowflys but also
fruitflies in large numbers. So if you have horses, cattle, sheep, goats,
chickens etc etc close by guaranteed the female fruitfly is having a good
feed.

I was catching mediterranian fruitfly as it is our pest here in WA. But the
numbers were so high that the traps didn't stop damage to the fruit on my
mandarine which i pulled out. Perhaps you would have better luck as you are
tackling the male fruitfly as well.

[...]

wrote:

snipped

Old 30-08-2010, 06:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen writes:
g'day john,

hope you are well?

Very well, Len, thanks for asking.

a lot in your psot but that is how it is with those of us attempting
to find ways of managing female fruit flies. i ave the understanding
the female hatches when conditions are humid enough and warm enough,
our star fruit indicaes that we are trapping male flies in low numbers
of course it is not season yet but have had no female damaged fruit.

Females emerged early beginning mid-Aug in 2009, researcher reports it
was a bad year for fruitfly, so can't rely on the calendar.

There is a lively fruitfly forum, with posts going back to 2007, on the
Daley's Fruit site, http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/forum/fruit-fly-control/
You may already be following it, judging by some of the details you
wrote in an earlier post. Though you haven't mentioned the lure
based on women's urine. Not yet. :-)

I did a bit of reading. Yes, the female mates only once in her life.
She lays her first brood of eggs about 5 days after the protein meal.
The protein she feeds on comes from common plant sources. (I guess
pollen is a protein, isn't it?)

She usually meets her mate in the same host she will lay her eggs and
feeds on that plant's sap or secretions. It's not clear whether "same host"
means the same species, or some specific individual tree. Neither seems
quite logical to me, considering her lifetime extends over many weeks.

The flies don't like open spaces, so set traps in shade against foliage.
The females are reluctant to go into traps with small entrance holes,
so you can't provide your trap with small holes in the hope of excluding
bigger harmless insects; you won't get any female fruit flies either.

If you manage to trap most of the males in an area, the female when
she finds none around will fly off to another area in search of males.
(But it didn't say she won't then return to her original bithplace to lay
her eggs. I think she can lay 700 in her lifetime.)

Anyone who has used nets seems to have had spectacular success,
and it probably excludes many of the smaller birds, too. Maybe other
pests, also? Nets would give you more peace of mind, too.

Adults can sit around all winter, biding their time until the first sign of
Spring. Except in cold climates where they die off and the population
has to reestablish from eggs that have overwintered.

so the nets will be out soon now as the tom plants are growing great
guns already needing tying. we got good fruit of the star fruit
because miraculously it fruited over autumn/winter and is still going
hope that keeps going as we then don't need to find a net for that
tree. or pick and dump all fruit when green.

Are the star fruit a cash crop, or just for your own consumption?

The tough skin on the cherry tomates resists the efforts of the
female Qld fruit fly, that's why they are usually free of fly. But if there
are other species around, e.g., the Mediterranean fruit fly, the Qld
frut fly will lay its eggs into the same puncture hole that the Med
fruit fly made so you get a double dose of maggots in that fruit!

I never did hear whether your big investment one year in garlic paid
dividends? I think that was at your previous location if I'm not mistaken.

Old 30-08-2010, 08:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day john,

reat read thanks for tht.

so female urine may work better.

i usually cut 4 inverted 'V' cut a the base of the neck of the bottle
large enough for a house flie to get in and they do, as there is
nothing in the bottle to actually kill the insect they need to be
contained until they fall into the fluid and drown, is how i see it.
same as when a house fly trap is made.

hanging in the shade is interesting not always possible and hanging
within the plant to be protected not also suggested as the ripening
fruit aroma would compete with the bottle aroma, has been sugested in
the past. our male wicks bottles are away from plants actually hanging
around the house on all 4 sides to catch all 4 breezes. in the past
our female traps have worked.

anyhow the star fruit one bush only very prolific not for cash just
for food, that big garlic plant fizzled dunno why the previous crop
whee msot of eh planting material came from was a boon, all times
previous when i plant garlic i get good returns this time none
develope into the segmented bulb we see. and since then any garlic i
have planted even here has also failed lucky to get an onion shaped
bulb mostly a shallot shaped thing from them. got no idea. planted
around maybe 600 corms.

so as best as we can do it we collect all any unusable fruits and
destroy them so can safely say the fly is not hatching in our garden
as their is no opportunity for the maggot to get down into the soil
and cacoon over winter. with my observations on when they hatch that
is based on when fruit shows signs of infestation but then i suppose
eggs dn't need to hatch right away hey?

don't think we have the med' fly as our cherry tom's never get
infested.

will visit daley's i have a topic there about our lemon tree leeking
sap, but have never read any other topics.

anyhow take care for now, if you learn more pass it on please.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:14:59 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:
snipped

Old 05-09-2010, 08:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day john,

it's amazing the applications they heve devised to apply to out fresh
f&v alone, they even use a spray to cause he pineaple to fruit earlier
it is a man made concoction and probably the elast harmless of
applications, but the fruit isn't emerging quiet naturally is it, all
designed to increase harvests. yeh never ever knew that pineapples got
sunburn??? lived out moggill way when i was a kid that was pineapple
and dairy territory, knew lots of pineapple farmer kids knew that
crows do a lot of damage, but never ever heard anything about
sunburn?? and a few weeds in the plantation didn't seem to purturb the
grower or the pineapple.

my view is like their brom' cousins they realy don't take that much
from the soil so competition not such a worry. of course picking fruit
among some healthy scotch thistle plants not the best i suppose but
that is the making man comfortable part not the helping the pine grow.

i used to think that the old pineaple didn't need things done but ag'
science sees it differently hey? did see a doco' once where apples and
pears cop up to 600 spray applications before they are picked, might
not be 600 different chemiclas, most are systemic applications so
peeling and washing won't ge rid of the residues not like way back
when! all we ahd to do was wash a bit of pyrethrum residue off the
fruit.

and all this time us gardeners who grow pineapples always trying to
get fruit quicker than around 18 months, and the farmer is cheeting.
and also of course they have the public duped into eating immature not
ripe fruit, all for better storage and transporting. citrus all
treated with anti mould chem's heavy metals involved. takes a pine
around 6 months to matue and ripen nicely that is a lot of money
siting out there on the field hey? the quicker they pick the quicker
another planting takes place. don't they get all their planting
material free in the return of tops from the processor? no other
farmer does.

got no faith in organic all corrupt realy as the oranic farmer can use
the same chemiclas but with a longer with holding period. where there
is money to be made and man you get corruption. and also looking at
what the big s/markets call organic it all looks the same exactly as
the ordinary stuff but dearer.

yeh well don is another story hey? dunno about gum trees but this
citrus is suffering a tad, funny thing this tree was a seedling tree
and the only citrus affected, the others all grafts. we grew it for
shade which it is now providing so now we need to do all the save it,
everytime i see the bit of sap we spray, oops there goes my organic
illusion.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:14:59 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:

snipped

Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Registered User

wamly welcome

Sure all pro gamer are most welcome... if you can reach out to them it would be great!! Thanks a lot

Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum...
and share their exp. with gaming...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"dorramide7" wrote in message

wamly welcome

Sure all pro gamer are most welcome... if you can reach out to them it
would be great!! Thanks a lot

Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum...
and share their exp. with gaming...

Gardening you know digging holes putting seeds/plants in the holes. We do it
not play it.

--
dorramide7

Old 21-10-2010, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day john,

had this recipe out now for about 6 weeks, can't see that there are
any fruit fly in them as yet plenty of other sorts offlies and ants.
will empty them soon through a strainer to be sure.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:42:39 +0000 (UTC), in aus.gardens you wrote

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:42:39 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:

snipped

Old 21-10-2010, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

On 21/10/2010 10:46 AM, gardenlen wrote:
g'day john,

had this recipe out now for about 6 weeks, can't see that there are
any fruit fly in them as yet plenty of other sorts offlies and ants.
will empty them soon through a strainer to be sure.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:42:39 +0000 (UTC), in aus.gardens you wrote

does it have to be coke as I have used a cheaper cola and nothing seems
to have happened reducing the hordes of flies surrounding the dogs ears
yet after 3 days

Old 22-10-2010, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

ok, dunno how you go about trapping those ones as they need fresh
blood, but they can appear at anytime of the year, calling them march
flies might be a bit misleading, they call them horse flies also. but
as for trapping them if you figure something out let the gardeners
know, reckon you would have to stop them at their breeding site.

they seem to hang about in pairs in a territory, i find once i have
squished 2 then there is no more until the next pair move in. maybe do
some research on them?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:15:37 +1000, atec77 wrote:

snipped

Old 23-10-2010, 02:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

On 23/10/2010 4:10 AM, gardenlen wrote:
ok, dunno how you go about trapping those ones as they need fresh
blood, but they can appear at anytime of the year, calling them march
flies might be a bit misleading, they call them horse flies also. but
as for trapping them if you figure something out let the gardeners
know, reckon you would have to stop them at their breeding site.

they seem to hang about in pairs in a territory, i find once i have
squished 2 then there is no more until the next pair move in. maybe do
some research on them?

I found some of those long sticky hang strips and now they hang over the
dogs beds
should do the trick as I rather want to get the wounds healed
Old 27-10-2010, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen writes:
had this recipe out now for about 6 weeks, can't see that there are
any fruit fly in them as yet plenty of other sorts offlies and ants.
will empty them soon through a strainer to be sure.

I shall have a stern word with Vasili, in that case. Have you got
any lures baited with your own recipe, for comparison?

Week before last's ABC gardening program showed the use of cloth
bags around individual fruit, to protect from fruit flies (also
from birds, possums, and sunburn). It resembled that waterproof
material that you can get as an inner cover for pillows, and which
comes as a wrapping for some electronics goods. A finely woven
cloth, nothing like plastic, and too strong to tear. He used it
for his figs. (Once they reached a good size, I guess, so that
they had already been pollinated.)