GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   the lure of Coca Cola ..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/193333-lure-coca-cola.html)

John Savage 21-08-2010 09:42 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic
drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in pairs, and each
upright and without its cap and containing a few cm of Coca Cola plus a
tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit flies queuing up to dive in
and die, and they prefer this to his fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke
must function as both lure and insecticide. There was no mention of ants
finding the hanging honey pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

FarmI 21-08-2010 10:00 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

"John Savage" wrote in message
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic
drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in pairs, and each
upright and without its cap and containing a few cm of Coca Cola plus a
tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit flies queuing up to dive in
and die, and they prefer this to his fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke
must function as both lure and insecticide. There was no mention of ants
finding the hanging honey pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

Ah bugger! I really really like Vasili but can't see him. He seems to have
disappearred from the channels I can get. Must go some of his DVDs.

I wonder if we'll get the sodding Election tonight and have to miss out on
Gardening Australia. I'll be cross if they don't show it. I voted weeks
ago so it's done and dusted as far as I'm concerned and I don't give a hoot
who we get since we'll still get screwed.

SG1[_3_] 21-08-2010 10:24 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

u...
[...]

I just switched off the ABC they were doing a news bulletin 2 dead in
Afganistan & some fws voting. No GA tonight.

John Savage 21-08-2010 10:26 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
m...
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic

Ah bugger! I really really like Vasili but can't see him. He seems to have
disappearred from the channels I can get. Must go some of his DVDs.

Here in Syd, tvs has been pushed way out into the never never. On my set
it's Ch 82. I did go to a lot of trouble setting up favourites, but some-
thing happened and it all reverted to the settings that they were born
with, so that's how I've left them.

I wonder if we'll get the sodding Election tonight and have to miss out on
Gardening Australia. I'll be cross if they don't show it. I voted weeks
ago so it's done and dusted as far as I'm concerned and I don't give a hoot
who we get since we'll still get screwed.

You've had plenty of time to record lots of shows to fill up a predictably
boring weekend of television! If they don't show GA this weekend, then at
least you can be sure we'll see it next weekend. :-)

I think old recordings of Vasili's Garden are showing on SBS, and the new
series on TVS .... or the other way 'round.

John Savage 21-08-2010 10:44 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
m...
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic

Ah bugger! I really really like Vasili but can't see him. He seems to have
disappearred from the channels I can get. Must go some of his DVDs.

Go to http://www.vasilisgarden.com and click on "Episodes" and

it seems that you'll be taken to an up-to-date archive of 23 episodes,

http://vimeo.com/user1435121/videos/sort:date

I'm on dial-up so won't be watching too many 25mins vimeo clips!

There's another gardening program on TVS, too. "The Garden Tap" I think.
The weekend papers don't publish the TVS schedule in their tv guide, so
I rarely catch the TVS programs.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 21-08-2010 12:04 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

John Savage wrote:
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs
in Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was
proud to be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens
of plastic drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in
pairs, and each upright and without its cap and containing a few cm
of Coca Cola plus a tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit
flies queuing up to dive in and die, and they prefer this to his
fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke must function as both lure and
insecticide. There was no mention of ants finding the hanging honey
pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

Most recipes for fruit fly bait contain some sort of fruit like banana. I
recall reading somewhere that coke has some fruit extracts as part of the
flavour besides cola (and cocaine of course). So perhaps the flies home on
that.

David

gardenlen[_2_] 21-08-2010 08:30 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

g'day john,

was that the same fruit fly as our tropical fruit fly?

if so this will be a boon for tropical gardeners.

should be no difference between coke and pepsi as far as i know one is
based on orange juice and the other lemon juice. outside of that they
are basically a sugar and caffien drink, nothing exotic in them.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:42:39 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

0tterbot 23-08-2010 12:41 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

"John Savage" wrote in message
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic
drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in pairs, and each
upright and without its cap and containing a few cm of Coca Cola plus a
tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit flies queuing up to dive in
and die, and they prefer this to his fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke
must function as both lure and insecticide.

i'd assume the same principle as any fly trap - they can't find their way
out again, become exhausted & die without having been able to breed.

There was no mention of ants
finding the hanging honey pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

not everyone has squads of ants.

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

i don't drink either, but at the end of the day, coke IS better!
kylie

SG1[_3_] 23-08-2010 06:32 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

"0tterbot" wrote in message
nd.com...
[...]

I am a Max man myself. Tried CocaCola once, took me 2+ hours to drink 1/2 a
can. So I guess that I can only use the non legal coke. But the thought of
having a hollow tube up my nose is making sure I don't use. I will stick to
legal stuff.

kylie

John Savage 23-08-2010 12:36 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

gardenlen writes:
was that the same fruit fly as our tropical fruit fly?

if so this will be a boon for tropical gardeners.

should be no difference between coke and pepsi as far as i know one is
based on orange juice and the other lemon juice. outside of that they
are basically a sugar and caffien drink, nothing exotic in them.

Hi Len. I don't believe there was any suggestion of the Coke lure
being species specific when it comes to fruit flies. With any
luck they'll all dive in! The Coke lure may not be any more
effective than those based on other kitchen ingredients, but the
fact that he took no steps to hinder the flies from escaping
impressed me, because I have closely watched how the flies will
make an enduring attempt to escape from bottle traps fashioned to
have the inverted funnel in their neck. He did have lots of traps
hanging up everywhere, though.

It was either Sydney or Melbourne, I just forget which.

As you'd agree, it's really not the number of flies that get
trapped that you need to be concerned with, it's how many that
manage to get past it!

loosecanon 23-08-2010 01:24 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

gardenlen writes:
[...]

More than likely NSW and probably the Queensland Fruitfly. We only have the
Medfly over here in WA after a clamp down by the powers to be over the
Queensland fruitfly although there may be the odd one around. The Medfly is
just so prevalent here. I did a lot of reading about this a while back. What
I found was the sugary traps with yeast get both male and female but mostly
male fruitfly. Now traps loaded with stinky poo attract female fruitflies!
Apparently they seek a high protein source before they lay eggs in fruit.
Only thing is you can never have enough traps to lure them all! Never tried
pheremone traps so wondering if a combination of all 3 methods would produce
a better result. Anyway when it comes to the fruit they only need one strike
to each piece to make the whole thing a waste of time.

gardenlen[_2_] 23-08-2010 09:15 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

more thinking of teh ingrediants which i will try this season, but
will still use my trap bottles so once in they can't get out and
usually drown anyway, just that the femal tropical fruit fly is very
ahrd to lure we run male fruit fly wicks in trap bottles not made to
hold the fly in in but to protect the wick from weather once in the
bottle they succumb to the pheramone small and land on the wick or
breathe the fumes and die.

trouble is lately no matter how many male flies we get, the females
are very prolific, and none of the bait recipes that we have passed
on, on our page work here.

i'll give this one a go hope it works. still be using nets but until
it shows it works.

lots of gardeners in qld lookig for an effective control for the
female flie. so if this works it might be a boon?

even with the male wick that works so well only need to miss a couple
with all those females around and it is all so much more ineffective,
has worked well in the past in other gardens, makes me think we now
have a more virilant species in this place. my theory someone planted
a quava or the like and don't do any husbandry, they certainly don't
reproduce in our garden.

anyhow thanks for teh info

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:36:52 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:
snipped

terryc 24-08-2010 02:20 AM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:15:59 +1000, gardenlen wrote:

trouble is lately no matter how many male flies we get, the females are
very prolific, and none of the bait recipes that we have passed on, on
our page work here.

then you are not trapping enough males and/or there are other sources
around.

1) do your traps prevent the flies from physically walking out?
2) At one stage, the various DPI incantations suggested "dakpots" which
were just a tin on he side open at one end with a bit of chemical
impregnated canite(?) in it. It attracted and poisoned the males.

i'll give this one a go hope it works. still be using nets but until it
shows it works.

err, fluit fly do not stop for nets

lots of gardeners in qld lookig for an effective control for the female
flie. so if this works it might be a boon?

If you have lots of gardeners around affected, then you will need to all
take action.

gardenlen[_2_] 24-08-2010 08:44 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

g'day terry,

wow some big judgement been made here, we have ben trapping male flies
for a decade now and until recent times it was a very effective tool,
but now not so in 2 weekly period the season before last (when we got
hit the hardest ever) we trapped about 900 male flies giver or take,
yet our total crop ot tomato's, pawpaw's and star fruit were decimated
not a single piece of fruit could used. we run our male traps all year
as the males can be around at odd seasons.

we make traps to allow air flow and attract the most flies with the
wick it is very rare for a fly to not succumb to the wick.

and yes netting does work i don't understand how it wouldn't many
gardeners resort to it, and we did last year with our tom's and star
fruit and w got good fruit to eat little or no fly damage.

our traps closely ressemble thos dak pot typs thing fruit growers use
they are very open as they need to be for teh male fly we find the
bottle captures all dead insects so we can monitor fly levels that
way.

now if this coke thing works the female trap will be made so as if a
fly gets in it won't get out as much as we possibly can make it.

now as we feel some other gardener somewhere has a fruit tree that
attracts the f/f and they then aren't doing husbandry to collect and
desroy that damaged fruit, or pick the fruit long before it ripens or
what ever action needs to be taken, then we don't know who they are
they could be anywhere up to maybe 4k away.

so we have to deal with this issue on sight, if i find something that
works i will pass it on, with no comments let the user beware so to
speak.

hope tha clears up any misgivings you may have? and should you find an
effective female cntrol mechanism please let all gardeners know.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:20:07 +0000 (UTC), terryc
wrote:

snipped

John Savage 26-08-2010 03:37 PM

the lure of Coca Cola .....

gardenlen writes:
we have ben trapping male flies
for a decade now and until recent times it was a very effective tool,
but now not so in 2 weekly period the season before last (when we got
hit the hardest ever) we trapped about 900 male flies giver or take,
yet our total crop ot tomato's, pawpaw's and star fruit were decimated
not a single piece of fruit could used. we run our male traps all year
as the males can be around at odd seasons.

Your current findings interest me, because I'm comparing it with my
experience using a couple of homemade fruit fly traps about 7 years ago.
My recollection is of catching overwhelmingly FEMALE+- flies. I recognised
them as female by the long sting-like organ, the ovipositor, at the tip
of their abdomen. Almost all the fruit flies trapped were of this
description, so I reckoned it was an effective trap for the females. From
memory, it used the usual kitchen concoction of honey or sugar, vegemite,
etc. I'll check with google, as I probably wrote a bit about it at the
time, I was so impressed at what a simple lure could achieve.

I recall hearing that the recommendation for the pheromone sprays was
to spray it all over the foliage, and the females would lay their eggs
whereever they were attracted to, and on the balance of probability
this would most times be leaf rather than fruit.

Unless the males need the fruit sugar as a nutrient, there is little
other cause they would have to unerringly home in on anything
specifically resembling a fruit. Males would be singlemindedly seeking
females. Only if the humble fruit fly were to be staunchly monogamous
(or the males a 'one-shot wonder' ) would it seem that the trapping of
males could be an effective practical measure in preventing significant
fruit damage by the pest, IMHO.

The best lure for a male might be a captive female. So maybe a trap
that has first caught a few females might in turn become an effective
lure for for males?