Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default are pineapples dipped in fungicide?

Any pineapple growers here? When I was a kid Mum would sometimes boil the
skin and core of a pineapple, decant the liquid and add sugar to make a
cheap but tasty drink.

I don't much like the modern candy-sweet pineapples, but saw the recipe
for pineapple syrup as a spread for toast and thought I may try it with a
clean-looking pineapple.

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/foru...=16141#p170623

I'll scrub the pineapple before peeling it, but would like to check here
first in case the fruit is sprayed or dipped in fungicide before being
sent to market. Anyone able to say one way or t'other?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Any pineapple growers here? When I was a kid Mum would sometimes
boil the skin and core of a pineapple, decant the liquid and add
sugar to make a cheap but tasty drink.

I don't much like the modern candy-sweet pineapples, but saw the
recipe for pineapple syrup as a spread for toast and thought I may
try it with a clean-looking pineapple.

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/foru...=16141#p170623

I'll scrub the pineapple before peeling it, but would like to check
here first in case the fruit is sprayed or dipped in fungicide before
being sent to market. Anyone able to say one way or t'other?

If you want an authoritative answer email the QLD Dept of Agriculture (or
whatever they call it)

David

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Department of Primary Industry Or DPI www.dpi.qld.gov.au

Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

found these links david,

they may be of use?

http://www.campbellchemicals.com.au/...Pineapples.pdf

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Issue/pn54/pn54p4.htm

http://www.safemeat.com.au/NR/rdonly...Jan06FINAL.pdf

all i could suggest is unless you grow the fruit yorself the industry
right through to retailer could be applying anything.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 06:09:01 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen writes:
found these links david,

they may be of use?

http://www.campbellchemicals.com.au/...Pineapples.pdf

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Issue/pn54/pn54p4.htm

http://www.safemeat.com.au/NR/rdonly...Jan06FINAL.pdf

I appreciate those links. It's enlightening, for I hoped maybe there was
no need for chemical sprays, but shouldn't have overlooked field weeds
and woolly aphids as for regular bromiliads, for starters.

That first link, a spray giving the fruit a protective coating against
sunburn, is an intriguing document of itself. It looks like someone's
half-hearted attempt to adapt a document originally written for APPLES
into one that might pass as having been written for PINEAPPLES.
Fascinating to learn that there are Pink Lady pineapples, even more
so to discover Granny Smith pineapples, also!

]RAYNOX Pineapple Sunburn Protectant is designed to protect Pineapples
]from sunburn browning. Under comparable environmental conditions apple
]varieties vary in susceptibility to sunburn browning. For example
]Cameo Pineapples are highly susceptible while Pink Lady Pineapples are
]very tolerant. Other varieties, including Golden Delicious, Fuji,
]Granny Smith, Gala, Jonagold, Red Delicious and Braeburn, are
]intermediate in susceptibility.

I guess this reveals that those of us who don't peel apples are getting
our daily dose of RAYNOX there, too.

all i could suggest is unless you grow the fruit yorself the industry
right through to retailer could be applying anything.

Looks like it. :-) Maybe an organic pineapple might be okay though.

Even then, it won't escape storekeepers like the one at my former
shopping cent I found him spraying Mortein over the fruit display
to ward off flies. :-((

Your mention of a lemon tree leaking sap reminds me that a few months
back someone asked Don Burke a similar question but about a young gum
tree leaking sap where the trunk had cracks. Don said that it's the sign
of a healthy tree--it's like a healthy immune response during periods
of rapid growth when part of the trunk may split or crack open. You
could ring Don and ask: 6am-9am Sat-Sun, Radio 2UE on 131332
Just don't mention the RSPCA. Don spent 2 weeks lambasting the
RSPCA for their continued cruelty to animals --- doing nothing
about breeders who keep cruel genetic traits in their breeds. (I think
Don has in mind dogs that can't give birth except by Caesarian, and
bulldogs that have to fight for every breath, etc.)
--
John Savage (my news address is not valid for email

pineapples Michelle Texas 10 10-02-2004 11:31 PM
Pineapples and Bromelain Beverly Erlebacher Plant Science 3 12-07-2003 09:20 AM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 04:44 PM
Pineapples Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 02:29 PM
Pineapples david United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 01:13 PM