GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Seasons Turn - 2 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/193923-seasons-turn-2-a.html)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 30-09-2010 12:58 PM

The Seasons Turn - 2

The bees are back. They think the quince tree is beautiful as do I. Some
defectors attend to other plants as they are fickle lovers. The citrus
orchard is redolent, if you walk through with your eyes closed you can hear
and smell it. Spring is multimedia. The blossom is falling from the stone
fruits, they need an Asian backpacker to sit immobile under them and compose
haikus. And to weed all around them. And to spread manure on them. Where
are WWOOFers when you need them?

Speaking of love, Mootilda has been belting out her song (think Margaret
Roadknight on steroids) but Billy the bull still can't hear. The steers
next door nod to her politely over the fence but do not understand what the
fuss is about. She is getting more friendly with us. It's only cupboard
love but you can't have it all every time (as the actress said to the
bishop). Thinking more about it Margaret Roadknight probably is on
steroids.

Speaking of love, I went to a course on pasture fertilising last week. Some
clown started on about moon planting. I said since it was full moon and the
equinox he should have been out at night fructifying his fields skyclad. He
didn't get it.

Her Indoors likes the Turkish bread I make with Nigella seeds on it. On a
whim I planted some seed and it is viable! So the flower garden will get
them and I can see if the edible sort (Nigella sativa) look like the
ornamental sort (Nigella iforgetitnow, 'love in the mist').

Showing great restraint I stopped cutting the asparagus, it has burst into
waving fronds, the small tree frogs would like to climb it but they are
having more success in the kale and mustard. I am now ogling the
artichokes. I think they like it being rowdy and vivacious plants. Soon
one will give me a come-hither look.

The herd is much diminished. Most of them went home to Denman where
apparently there is some grass at last, they came for a drought and stayed 3
years. I miss Big Ted who used to put his head on my shoulder. I miss
Trouble who ate the front of the car and let the herd out very early one
morning when it was -3C when I really didn't want to get out of bed. I
shook a can of dog food at him but he just laughed because he knows that
won't be his fate. The old girl is at peace now helping the pasture grow,
she is wearing tiny pink flowers.

The seasons turn.

David