GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Heavy machinery has damaged my lawn. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/194007-heavy-machinery-has-damaged-my-lawn.html)

Graeme 09-10-2010 01:48 PM

Heavy machinery has damaged my lawn.

Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some heavy machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several depressions in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't seem to want to grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting some runners but I think this will take too long or be ineffective. What is the best way to level out the earth? Should I just buy a new load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better to buy some new grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying sections of the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 09-10-2010 02:23 PM

Graeme wrote:
Hi,

The nature strip in front of my home was recently damaged by some
heavy machinery making it very difficult to mow. There are several
depressions in the earth which I have to mow around. Grass doesn't
seem to want to grow in the gaps. My neighbour suggested planting
some runners but I think this will take too long or be ineffective.
What is the best way to level out the earth? Should I just buy a new
load of soil to fill in the gaps? Would it be better to buy some new
grass, make an attempt at leveling the soil and relaying sections of
the nature strip?

Thanks for your advice,

Graeme.

Have you asked the person who wrecked it to fix it?

The treatment depends on how big the damage is. The soil has been compacted
where the machinery went and displaced to the side. Loosen the soil with a
garden fork in and next to the damage and then rake it back to an even
surface. This will make it smoother so you can mow and allow the grass to
spread in that area as it will continue to grow poorly in compacted soil.
Maybe some extra soil from elsewhere in the garden or a few bags purchased
will make it easier to level.

Depending on how wide the scar is you can just wait for the grass to grow
back (many roots and bits will still be alive and it will also spread in
from the edges) or overseed or plant runners from elsewhere. Water and feed
it. This is a good time of year for growing grass so it should repair quite
quickly.

Re-laying the whole lot or buying a load of soil seems excessive to me
unless the whole area is completely destroyed.

David

terryc 09-10-2010 04:16 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 22:48:25 +1100, Graeme wrote:

There are several depressions in the earth which I have to mow around.

Fill them, soil if you want, or grass clippings or such.

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

Get rid of this shit.

Graeme 11-10-2010 01:35 PM

Heavy machinery has damaged my lawn.

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to try your suggestion of loosening
the soil with a fork, backfilling with soil and then over-seeding. My only
dilemna then is in trying to identify the type of grass in my nature strip.
Do you think if I took a sample to Bunnings them might be able to identify
it?

Thanks,

Graeme.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 11-10-2010 01:41 PM

Graeme wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to try your suggestion of
loosening the soil with a fork, backfilling with soil and then
over-seeding. My only dilemna then is in trying to identify the type
of grass in my nature strip. Do you think if I took a sample to
Bunnings them might be able to identify it?

Thanks,

Graeme.

No, at bunnings they sell stuff they don't know anything. What does it
matter? Buy some cultivar that suits the climate and situation. The world
will not end if your nature strip looks a little patchy. I promise.

Jonno[_23_] 12-10-2010 02:29 AM

David Hare-Scott wrote:

Graeme wrote:
[...]

Just fill it in with dirt and level it and reseed it.. Either buy the soil
or obtain some more from somewhere in the backyard, like any normal person
would do.
The other recommendations are a bit over the top, especially if youve let
it go awhile.
As far as compressed soils go, its not something to worry about if youre
only growing grass. Its more of a concern if youre growing trees shrubs
nearby, which would have been damaged by the vehicles traveling over it.
Most will cope and repair the damage themselves. though some will argue.
Its too late if its been done. Look at some of the trees in public streets
etc.

Posted at www.usenet.com.au

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 12-10-2010 03:42 AM

Jonno wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Graeme wrote:
[...]

This is just wrong.