Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Help regarding flowering tree

I want to plant a small flowering tree in the north-facing corner of my
garden. Drainage is good, although might be boggy in the peak of winter
rains. Ideally, I'd like something that flowers for much of the year
(ie. not flowering cherry etc) and has an attractive foliage as well.
The main consideration is that I'd prefer something with a 'trunk'
rather than a bushy habit.

Any ideas?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 13-10-2010, 04:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"Trish wrote in message
I want to plant a small flowering tree in the north-facing corner of my
garden. Drainage is good, although might be boggy in the peak of winter
rains. Ideally, I'd like something that flowers for much of the year (ie.
not flowering cherry etc) and has an attractive foliage as well. The main
consideration is that I'd prefer something with a 'trunk' rather than a
bushy habit.

Any ideas?

None whatsoever!

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 13-10-2010, 04:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

My experience with trees (single trunk) is they don't flower longer than a
month or so. So I think you would be better to have something that looks
nice even when it is not flowering. So like a gingko with it's leaves. A
crepe myrtle with it's trunk, autumn leaves and flowers. A dracanea draco
for it's awesome looks. But remember to look how big things grow. The roots
will go out twice as far as the height. You may be restricted if it becomes
boggy some trees will drown. Pecans won't but it grows to a great height!

Old 13-10-2010, 06:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

My experience with trees (single trunk) is they don't flower longer than a
month or so. So I think you would be better to have something that looks
nice even when it is not flowering. So like a gingko with it's leaves. A
crepe myrtle with it's trunk, autumn leaves and flowers. A dracanea draco
for it's awesome looks. But remember to look how big things grow. The roots
will go out twice as far as the height. You may be restricted if it becomes
boggy some trees will drown. Pecans won't but it grows to a great height!

Thank you, loosecannon! Gingko wins! Hadn't thought of that... ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 14-10-2010, 06:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
Loosecanon wrote:

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

My experience with trees (single trunk) is they don't flower longer
than a month or so. So I think you would be better to have something
that looks nice even when it is not flowering. So like a gingko with
it's leaves. A crepe myrtle with it's trunk, autumn leaves and
flowers. A dracanea draco for it's awesome looks. But remember to
look how big things grow. The roots will go out twice as far as the
height. You may be restricted if it becomes boggy some trees will
drown. Pecans won't but it grows to a great height!

Thank you, loosecannon! Gingko wins! Hadn't thought of that... ;-D

How long do you have? They are very slow growing, known as the grandfather
tree in some places because the person who plants it isn't likely to enjoy
it.

David

Old 15-10-2010, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:
Loosecanon wrote:

D'ya think I'm being too fussy with my requirements???

My experience with trees (single trunk) is they don't flower longer
than a month or so. So I think you would be better to have something
that looks nice even when it is not flowering. So like a gingko with
it's leaves. A crepe myrtle with it's trunk, autumn leaves and
flowers. A dracanea draco for it's awesome looks. But remember to
look how big things grow. The roots will go out twice as far as the
height. You may be restricted if it becomes boggy some trees will
drown. Pecans won't but it grows to a great height!

Thank you, loosecannon! Ginkgo wins! Hadn't thought of that... ;-D

How long do you have? They are very slow growing, known as the
grandfather tree in some places because the person who plants it isn't
likely to enjoy it.

David

Well, as luck would have it, I happen to have a well-advanced Ginkgo in
a large pot! I was superstitious about planting it out because I thought
we might have to move house again. That was fifteen years ago, though,
so I guess I could conceivably plant the poor dear with impugnity. Of
course, pot-life has restricted the growth of the tree, but I don't mind
that. I assume she'll be off and away once in the ground - such a pretty
thing and why didn't I think of putting her in the empty spot in the
first place? Duh! I'm even starting to wonder whether I could artfully
espalier the tree against the fence.

Hmmm... off I go to ponder... ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 15-10-2010, 04:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown writes:
Well, as luck would have it, I happen to have a well-advanced Ginkgo in
a large pot! I was superstitious about planting it out because I thought
we might have to move house again. That was fifteen years ago, though,
so I guess I could conceivably plant the poor dear with impugnity. Of
course, pot-life has restricted the growth of the tree, but I don't mind
that. I assume she'll be off and away once in the ground - such a pretty
thing and why didn't I think of putting her in the empty spot in the

A "she" ginko? You planning to be around to enjoy the fruiting?
Old 16-10-2010, 04:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Trish writes:
Well, as luck would have it, I happen to have a well-advanced Ginkgo in
a large pot! I was superstitious about planting it out because I thought
we might have to move house again. That was fifteen years ago, though,
so I guess I could conceivably plant the poor dear with impugnity. Of
course, pot-life has restricted the growth of the tree, but I don't mind
that. I assume she'll be off and away once in the ground - such a pretty
thing and why didn't I think of putting her in the empty spot in the

A "she" ginko? You planning to be around to enjoy the fruiting?

LOL! Nah, I don't care about that. The Ginkgo's foliage is every bit as
good as flowers, don't you think?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 22-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered User

I think you may be better, it seems well, even if it is not flowering. Thus, like ginkgo leaves with it. A crape Myrtle with its trunk, autumn leaves and flowers. A dracanea Draco it looks awesome. But remember to see how big things grow.
Pond Liners