Old 19-11-2010, 02:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default It's been damp and mild

The garden is running rampant as it is too wet to work, every time it seems
dry enough there is another couple of days of rain. Grrrrrr

But on the bright side; what likes mild damp conditions? Artichokes! We
feast almost daily. For the first time the plants are producing buds down
to the third tier of axils and they are still large enough to eat.

David

Old 20-11-2010, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
The garden is running rampant as it is too wet to work, every time it
seems dry enough there is another couple of days of rain. Grrrrrr

But on the bright side; what likes mild damp conditions? Artichokes! We
feast almost daily. For the first time the plants are producing buds down
to the third tier of axils and they are still large enough to eat.

David

My chili plants have taken off & the 3 inches this week have gone down a
treat. Only problem we have to wait for the yard to dry a bit (black soil).
The non hearting lettuce are zooming start picking next week, fresh
salad....

Old 20-11-2010, 01:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
"David wrote in message
The garden is running rampant as it is too wet to work, every time it
seems dry enough there is another couple of days of rain. Grrrrrr

But on the bright side; what likes mild damp conditions? Artichokes! We
feast almost daily. For the first time the plants are producing buds down
to the third tier of axils and they are still large enough to eat.

David

My chili plants have taken off& the 3 inches this week have gone down a
treat. Only problem we have to wait for the yard to dry a bit (black soil).
The non hearting lettuce are zooming start picking next week, fresh
salad....

I don't know whether it's normal, but one of my rainbow chard has taken
off and is now a *tree*! There's no sign of flowers on it, just a
six-foot stalk and *branches*! My husband reckons the kids can draw lots
as to who gets to shinny up it in search of the family fortune.

Although, wasn't that beans...?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 20-11-2010, 03:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
"David wrote in message
[...]

Alas it is no longer edible. But as the others have not followed suit eat
them. I love the colour of the water when we have home grown coloured
silverbeet.

Old 20-11-2010, 08:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
SG1 wrote:
"David wrote in message
[...]

I have that here as well, the "branches" are elongating between the leaves
so much it is too top heavy for the roots and falling over in the wet soil.
It will start to flower soon.

David

Old 20-11-2010, 10:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
"Trish wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
"David wrote in message
[...]

Oo yeah! I've been kept busy making spinach and feta pies, which are
*so* much nicer with 'real' spinach rather than the frozen sort.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 20-11-2010, 12:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:

I don't know whether it's normal, but one of my rainbow chard has taken
off and is now a *tree*! There's no sign of flowers on it,

They do not look like flowers. Just stake it, let it do its thing and
let it dry off, then strip the nodules and store in a cool dry place
until you want to plant more. Rub a pile of nodules in gloved hands and
broadcast.

Or just thrash a wire mesh with the dry plant beside the area you want
them in.

we try to collect one red, one yellow and one green each season. It just
grows feral along with the flat parsley, borage and occassionally the
curly parseley.
Old 22-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered User

T is no longer edible. However, as the others did not follow the example of eating them. I like the color of the water, we have native color silverbeet.
Pond Liners