Old 23-11-2010, 11:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Chook experts?

Are pure bred Australorps 100% black or is it possible to have a little
red-brown on the front of the neck?

David

Old 24-11-2010, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Are pure bred Australorps 100% black or is it possible to have a little
red-brown on the front of the neck?

David

I seem to remember (30 years ago) that the feathers on the neck were like
you describe. Usually the sign of a healthy bird. Bet they have really dark
red combs too.

Old 25-11-2010, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Are pure bred Australorps 100% black or is it possible to have a little
red-brown on the front of the neck?

Australorps are pure black (including the flesh of the legs which is one
good indicator of the true breeding).
If there is any degree of 'colour' in the feathers it is not what I'd call
a true colour but more of a sheen if/when caught in the light. All of my
Australorps have only ever had this sheen in the blue/green specturm (never
any reddisheness at all). If viewed in shade, a true Australorp will be all
black feathers.

I've just had a look at the breed standards and no red. You can read them
he
http://www.australorps.com/4.html

I've just bought 4 more Australorps and am busy building them a new night
house after I got the irrits with the last one and demolished it. Once this
one is done their current one will get removed too - after 30+ years of
keeping chooks I've finally decided that I am sick to death of substandard
chook housing and I finally want Rolls Royce housing for my fancy.

Barter and sons at Luddenham are a reasonable source I've found - good
service, moderate price and seem to produce a true to type domestic bird:
http://www.barterandsons.com.au/

Any red feathers suggests to me a hybrid with RIR or Isa brown genes, but it
could be a from a grandparent rather than a parent.

Old 25-11-2010, 11:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Are pure bred Australorps 100% black or is it possible to have a
little red-brown on the front of the neck?

Australorps are pure black (including the flesh of the legs which is
one good indicator of the true breeding).

the legs are black

If there is any degree of 'colour' in the feathers it is not what I'd
call a true colour but more of a sheen if/when caught in the light. All of
my Australorps have only ever had this sheen in the blue/green
specturm (never any reddisheness at all). If viewed in shade, a true
Australorp will be all black feathers.

It isn't the iridescent shine from light interference patterns in the
feathers it's a true colour

I've just had a look at the breed standards and no red. You can read
them he
http://www.australorps.com/4.html

BTDT I wasn't so much interested in whether I have show quality chooks but
what their lineage might be, if they are pure bred but not show birds or
some crossbreed..

I've just bought 4 more Australorps and am busy building them a new
night house after I got the irrits with the last one and demolished
it. Once this one is done their current one will get removed too -
after 30+ years of keeping chooks I've finally decided that I am sick
to death of substandard chook housing and I finally want Rolls Royce
housing for my fancy.

Mine isn't RR but maybe BMW. It's a secondhand garden shed with secondhand
tennis court wire around it. I figure any fox or wild dog that can eat
through that I don't want to face unarmed.

Barter and sons at Luddenham are a reasonable source I've found - good
service, moderate price and seem to produce a true to type domestic
bird: http://www.barterandsons.com.au/

Any red feathers suggests to me a hybrid with RIR or Isa brown genes,
but it could be a from a grandparent rather than a parent.

Looks to me that they are 3/4 or maybe 7/8. Good looking birds
nevertheless, friendly and resourceful.

thanks

David

Old 26-11-2010, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Regardless... those standards are still useful. They confirm to you
that your birds aren't pure breds.

They confirm my birds are not up to standard. Are you saying there are no
pure bred birds that don't meet the standard?

it's just that you're describing the standard looks of a commercial
australorp-cross, not an australorp :-))

I am looking for what is described as a utility bird. Meat and eggs and
easy to raise, so some outside blood is no big deal. These girls will
live out their days (they have names already for bog's sake) but their
sons won't.

whilst you could expect some broodiness, you probably can't expect it to
happen constantly with these ones.

i have found it a little exasperating, the things that happen while trying
to breed up some babies to eat - from lack of broodiness to less live
hatchings that you'd hoped for, the heedlessness of small chicks that leads
to their loss, weird accidents (we just lost a chick last week in the
weirdest way imaginable) and so forth.

not to mention that problem with attachment. it's sad to eat a chook you
used to know. my plan for this current crop was we'd kill them all at 10
weeks & then freeze them - so we wouldn't know which one it was. after our
share of the abovementioned problems, we've only got one chick so s/he gets
to live anyway!!!

good luck. i like chooks - they're very win-win. even without edible
offspring you get lots of eggs, manure, & entertainment. all of which come
in very handy.
kylie

Old 26-11-2010, 07:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

And so long as they lay some eggs, that's all that's required in a domestic
chook. Although I know I'd still keep chooks even if they didn't lay.

Old 26-11-2010, 10:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

No true David, remember the saying "Hello lunch"?????

Old 27-11-2010, 09:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

Indeed.

Are you saying there are no
pure bred birds that don't meet the standard?

No. But I'm sure you had already been able to figure that out for yourself.

Old 22-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered User

If there is any degree of color in its feathers is not I will call, a true color, but more of a gloss, if / when caught in the light. All my australorps only had this shiny blue / green spectrum . If you look in the shade, a real Australorp will all
Black feathers.
Pond Liners

Chook dome questions KingLillis Permaculture 11 22-02-2005 01:16 AM
Tree for chook shade? nome Australia 8 29-11-2004 01:18 PM
Tips for building a chook-house? Rod Out back Australia 5 16-11-2004 01:40 AM
Chook Houses Shag Australia 1 14-09-2003 08:33 AM
Chook dome questions KingLillis Permaculture 3 09-04-2003 06:20 AM