Old 29-11-2010, 11:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bronze Oroage bug; sprays?

terryc writes:
Can anyone suggest an alternative spray(s) to Confidor for bronze orange
bug?

I find it very satisfying to pick them off with a pair of long-nose
pliers. Drop into a pail then crush underfoot for the ants to recycle.
Wear eye protection. I wait until the bug is side on to me so I can grip
it from the side so the inevitable squirt of acid gets ejected away from
me. Any bugs that are out of reach today will have moved around and most
likely be within capture range on the morrow. Just be patient and you'll
eventually get them all.

You could cautiously *try* a stronger version of my aphid recipe. For
aphids, just metho + water in the ratio 1 : 2. It works without harming
even the tender tips of roses and citrus. Just like spraying with rum,
only cheaper. :-) The aphids die instantly, and you can hose the plant
5 mins later if concerned of ill effects--but I've seen none.

For the citrus bug, maybe experiment with 1:1 ratio, or even neat metho.
Try on just one part of a branch initially, and see whether the bugs drop
off and keel over. Wait a day or two to make sure the foliage is not
affected. I've never tried it stronger than 1:1 so can't say whether
a brief spray of neat metho will be harmful. I'd use a spray bottle and
target individual bugs and avoid flowers and the tender tips.

If it doesn't kill em, throw in a match after you've sprayed. ;-)

I had rhubarb growing under the lemon tree, and the bug's acid squirt
killed holes in the rhubarb. So I suggest if you're going to pinch the
bugs with pliers, hose the tree down once you're through, to wash off the
acid.

Confidor is the only spray Don Burke mentions.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:

I find it very satisfying to pick them off with a pair of long-nose
pliers.

I fully understand the attraction of this method {:-), but not after 50
bugs.

Actually, I find it faster to have a very fine jet to spray them at
which point they tend to move down the tree and usually into stick
whackable range. The numbers are the problem.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc writes:
John Savage wrote:
I find it very satisfying to pick them off with a pair of long-nose
pliers.

I fully understand the attraction of this method {:-), but not after 50
bugs.

They are easy to pick off; do it over two days. But after picking off every
last bug, it's annoying to then find, next day, that more black adult bugs
have flown in from a neighbouring infestation.

I reckon you could try a pyritherum-based fly spray to target individual
bugs, then hose the tree all over to wash off the spray to eliminate any
chance it will be absorbed. Test on a small branch before going all out.

You do need to control the bronze orange bugs or you'll lose much of your
crop. When they sting the embryonic fruit it spoils and falls off, and with
fruit near maturity the bug's sting creates a brown dry spot inside the
fruit. (You probably already know that; perhaps others don't.)

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc writes:
John Savage wrote:
[...]

Bronze Oroage bug; sprays? terryc Australia 1 25-11-2010 09:43 PM
Bronze Orange Bug terryc Australia 10 15-11-2008 05:28 AM
Safe Sprays for Fruit Trees John Nolan United Kingdom 0 15-05-2008 01:02 AM
beware pyrethrum sprays John Savage Australia 18 20-12-2007 06:47 PM
Apple Tree Sprays? Dave Orchids 4 08-06-2004 05:32 PM