GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phosopohorus intolerance (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/195088-phosopohorus-intolerance.html)

tathraman 01-01-2011 11:06 PM

Phosopohorus intolerance

I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some plants
thrive, others don't. I'm wondering if this could be due to
phosphorous in dishwashing and laundry detergents?

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 02-01-2011 02:42 AM

Phosopohorus intolerance

tathraman wrote:
I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some plants
thrive, others don't. I'm wondering if this could be due to
phosphorous in dishwashing and laundry detergents?

I suppose it is possible but I wouldn't jump straight to that conclusion.
Another consideration is that cleansers (especially dishwasher detergent)
contain quite a lot of sodium carbonate (washing soda), this will raise the
pH and add sodium to the soil.

What area does the effluent get spread over?

How often do you do laundry and dishes?

Which plants do well and which do not?

Is there any sign that plants near drippers, emitters etc do better or
worse?

David

terryc 02-01-2011 02:53 AM

Phosopohorus intolerance

tathraman wrote:
I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some plants
thrive, others don't. I'm wondering if this could be due to
phosphorous in dishwashing and laundry detergents?

Which plants do which?

tathraman 02-01-2011 05:52 AM

Phosopohorus intolerance

On Jan 2, 1:42*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
tathraman wrote:
I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some plants

What area does the effluent get spread over?

around 200 sq. metres

How often do you do laundry

twice weekly
and dishes?
about the same

I've given up on drippers as they always need cleaning out, despite
filters. Instead I have 5or 6 garden sprinkliers which do a fine job,

Which plants do well

WEEDS! pittosposrum, hymenosporum, melaleucas, callistemons, violets
(but they don't flower), lavender, clivea, agapanthus,camellia, agave,
hydrangea and hibiscus (middling).

and which do not?
azaleas

Hope this is what you need to know!

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 02-01-2011 06:18 AM

Phosopohorus intolerance

tathraman wrote:
I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some
plants

What area does the effluent get spread over?

around 200 sq. metres

That's not much area. Is is boggy for much of the year?

How often do you do laundry

twice weekly
and dishes?
about the same

That doesn't seem a huge chemical load but it is on a fairly small area.

I've given up on drippers as they always need cleaning out, despite
filters. Instead I have 5or 6 garden sprinkliers which do a fine job,

Which plants do well

WEEDS! pittosposrum, hymenosporum, melaleucas, callistemons, violets
(but they don't flower), lavender, clivea, agapanthus,camellia, agave,
hydrangea and hibiscus (middling).

and which do not?
azaleas

Hope this is what you need to know!

Test the pH of the soil at the azalea, they like it quite acid.

Dan[_9_] 02-01-2011 12:31 PM

Phosopohorus intolerance

"terryc" wrote in message
tathraman wrote:
I have a SuperTreat septic system which waters my garden. Some plants
thrive, others don't. I'm wondering if this could be due to
phosphorous in dishwashing and laundry detergents?

Which plants do which?

I used water from laundry to water fruit trees one year when we had a long
dry spell. Killed two mature persimmon trees. I was told by a bloke from the
dpi that phosphorous from the washing powder would do that.
Cheers,
Dan