GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chinese apples (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/195331-chinese-apples.html)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 27-01-2011 09:58 PM

Chinese apples

terryc wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I just like to
see reason and facts have some part our discussions.

Shrug, it is there is you want to find it. It simply requres an
ability to read between the lines and put 1 and 1 together. As far as
I'm concerned, either people have( taught themselves) the ability to
read and think critically or they don't.

If AQIS was
corrupt or suffering undue political pressure and making bad
decisions I WOULD want to know about it. I do actually want you
blokes to come up with something, if there is anything.

Keep reading and thinking.

Once again you claim it is all there for us to see but yet you have nothing
to display. Until you actually show something all you are doing is making
unsupported assertions. This is going nowhere, is likely to be the case
when there are no facts presented.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 27-01-2011 10:07 PM

Chinese apples

SG1 wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I just like to see reason and facts have some part our discussions.

Shrug, it is there is you want to find it. It simply requres an
ability to read between the lines and put 1 and 1 together. As far
as I'm concerned, either people have( taught themselves) the ability
to read and think critically or they don't.

If AQIS was corrupt or suffering undue political pressure and
making bad decisions I WOULD want to know about it. I do actually
want you blokes to come up with something, if there is anything.

Keep reading and thinking.

David my reasons for the op are that Oz farmers are getting belted by
crap from overseas. I will not buy os produce, maybe that is
jingoistic, but we produce good stuff and they want us to have crap.
There is no reason to import apples into here. Other farmers
(oranges) have been decimated by subsidised juice from South America.
We are supposed to EXPORT food not import it.
Rant over.

I think that is admirable. I too would much rather see us be
self-sufficient in quality food. I agree that our diplomats have so far
failed to negotiate deals that create a level (unsubsidised) playing field.

I have two disputes though. Firstly with those claiming that AQIS is
corrupt without providing evidence. Secondly hinting that tariff protection
will solve all our problems and not cause worse ones. I cannot see how
people can claim they want relief from OS farmers being subsidised and then
turn around and want ours protected by tariff barriers.

David

SG1[_3_] 27-01-2011 11:25 PM

Chinese apples

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Nowhere did I claim I wanted tariff protection for our farmers. I want
blanket protection for parts of the industry that produce all we want at a
good quality.
My middle son worked in the baking industry. They use middle eastern
sultanas, once they got Chinese sultanas. They were full of sand. My opinion
is that Oz sultanas are of good quality. Rant part 2 over.

terryc 28-01-2011 05:51 AM

Chinese apples

RRichardD wrote:
My
guess is that the bulk of the fruit has gone into manufacturing. I
expect that the products produced from this fruit will eventually be
identified and suitably boycotted.

That is where a lot of imported foodstuf goes. Has done so for decades.
These containers haven't been inspected by AQIS for similar periods.

gardenlen[_2_] 28-01-2011 07:16 PM

Chinese apples

g'day richard,

allowing disease across our borders is nothing new to AQIS, but that
may not be the important bit as we are likely to have so few farmers
left in our country that it won't matter.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:19:05 +0000, RRichardD
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

RRichardD 30-01-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenlen[_2_] (Post 911357)

we are likely to have so few farmers
left in our country that it won't matter.

LEN'S HOMEPAGE

People here are getting really annoyed with the food labeling bs and the tactics of Coles and Woolworths (like the loss-leader trick with homebrand milk).

I can see food and farm support being an election issue next time around. What makes my blood boil is the manufacturers here like Heinz, National Foods, Kraft etc are dead set against any kind of labeling that empowers consumer choice.

Here's what National Foods has to say.
"We believe strong brands can play a positive role in helping consumers make educated choices about the food and beverage products they consume."

What the hell does a product brand name have to do with where the product is made, where the components come from, and if it's safe to eat. I'm always going to preference an Australian product made with Australian grown ingredients but these companies deliberately try to take that choice away from me.

Anyways enough ranting.

The Chinese apples are gone. They didn't sell and apparently all ended up discounted at Paddy's Market in Sydney. The next opportunity for the Chinese to send their waste is around November. Maybe they will take the hint from the Australian marketplace and not bother.

Rod Speed 30-01-2011 07:32 AM

Chinese apples

SG1 wrote

Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture aka AQIS has approved the importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word
in the ears of your local federal member might be a good idea.

No federal member gets any say on that.

Rod Speed 30-01-2011 07:37 AM

Chinese apples

David Hare-Scott wrote
atec77 wrote
David Hare-Scott wrote
atec77 wrote
David Hare-Scott wrote
SG1 wrote

Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture

why are they that?

they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human
waste , bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk iof
importing disease which we have of sign of

How do you know this?

it's fact

if you want more google it

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available evidence

They didnt in this case, they got monstered on that decision by the international system.

and on the whole do a good job in a difficult situation.

There are always competing interests in these cases and many would like to use laws relating to keeping out plant
disease (for example) in place of tariff barriers to reduce overseas competition.

Yes, and thats why the appeal against the original AQIS decision succeeded.

These are the barriers which our government is trying to break down because they cost us more in the long run when
raised by other countries against our primary producers.

That wasnt the reason in this case.

If you say that AQIS haven't made the right decision in this case then show me the evidence.

The evidence is that their original decision was not to allow the imports.

If you want me to accept what you say then you make the argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

gardenlen[_2_] 30-01-2011 07:32 PM

Chinese apples

g'day rod,

isn't it fed' gov' policy that allows fresh food to be imported?

yet no banana from anywhere else in australia is allowed into qld?
doesn't make sense does it? a closed border none the less.

the farmers have been up in arms about early on but they have quitened
down now, maybe they were given a little sweetener?

granted under world gov' rules they can no longer have closed borders.

these apples are just the latest issue there is much other stuff on
our shelves from the asian region, i feel if we focus totally on china
the rest slips under the radar.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:32:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snipped

FarmI 31-01-2011 03:55 AM

Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 24/01/2011 6:47 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
atec77 wrote:
SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture

why are they that?
they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human
waste , bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk iof
importing disease which we have of sign of

How do you know this?

it's fact
if you want more google it

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence and on the whole do a good job in a difficult situation.
There are always competing interests in these cases and many would
like to use laws relating to keeping out plant disease (for example)
in place of tariff barriers to reduce overseas competition. These
are the barriers which our government is trying to break down
because they cost us more in the long run when raised by other
countries against our primary producers.

If you say that AQIS haven't made the right decision in this case
then show me the evidence. If you want me to accept what you say
then you make the argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

David

eat it I don't care , remember this decision came from a government
that blew billions on silly schemes and killed people in the process

What has this got to do with the importing of apples? Nothing really it's
just an anti government rant.

:-)))

the apples /greatwall are low quality and taste like it
watch your tv as I am sure this subject will arise again

When did you eat these Chinese apples? What kind were they? In what way
were they bad?

I'll save you the trouble, you haven't actually eaten any apples that
could be identified as Chinese, instead you are having another generalised
rant.

:-)))

FarmI 31-01-2011 03:56 AM

Chinese apples

"atec77" wrote in message
atec77 wrote:
atec77 wrote:
SG1 wrote:
[...]

yes I did

and they were dreadful the three times I tried them as mentioned

I'll save you the trouble, you haven't actually eaten any apples that
could be identified as Chinese, instead you are having another
generalised rant.

you have no ****ing idea as always

Says someone who can't identify at troll in another ng......................

FarmI 31-01-2011 04:02 AM

Chinese apples

"terryc" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I just like to see reason and facts have some part our discussions.

Shrug, it is there is you want to find it. It simply requres an ability to
read between the lines and put 1 and 1 together.

There you go David, put on your tin hat and think conspiracy theories.

As far as I'm
concerned, either people have( taught themselves) the ability to read and
think critically or they don't.

LOL.

If AQIS was corrupt or suffering undue political pressure and making bad
decisions I WOULD want to know about it. I do actually want you blokes
to come up with something, if there is anything.

Keep reading and thinking.

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.

terryc 31-01-2011 01:59 PM

Chinese apples

FarmI wrote:

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.

Nope, but I expect you are illiterate, so keep thinking it.

FarmI 02-02-2011 07:01 AM

Chinese apples

"terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.

Nope, but I expect you are illiterate, so keep thinking it.

Illiterate? LOL.

terryc 02-02-2011 01:52 PM

Chinese apples

FarmI wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

You meant to say, keep thinking conspiracy theory.

Nope, but I expect you are illiterate, so keep thinking it.

Illiterate? LOL.

And totally ignorant.