Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2011, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 126
Default Chinese apples

Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture aka AQIS has approved the
importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word in the ears of your local
federal member might be a good idea.



  #2   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2011, 03:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture


why are they that?

aka AQIS has approved the
importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word in the ears of
your local federal member might be a good idea.


why?

David
  #3   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2011, 07:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 1:38 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture


why are they that?

they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human waste
, bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk iof importing
disease which we have of sign of


How do you know this?

D
  #4   Report Post  
Old 23-01-2011, 08:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 5:49 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 1:38 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture

why are they that?
they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human
waste , bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk iof
importing disease which we have of sign of


How do you know this?

D

it's fact
if you want more google it


My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available evidence
and on the whole do a good job in a difficult situation. There are always
competing interests in these cases and many would like to use laws relating
to keeping out plant disease (for example) in place of tariff barriers to
reduce overseas competition. These are the barriers which our government is
trying to break down because they cost us more in the long run when raised
by other countries against our primary producers.

If you say that AQIS haven't made the right decision in this case then show
me the evidence. If you want me to accept what you say then you make the
argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

David

  #5   Report Post  
Old 24-01-2011, 01:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 24/01/2011 6:47 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 5:49 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 1:38 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture

why are they that?
they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human
waste , bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk iof
importing disease which we have of sign of


How do you know this?

D
it's fact
if you want more google it


My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence and on the whole do a good job in a difficult situation.
There are always competing interests in these cases and many would
like to use laws relating to keeping out plant disease (for example)
in place of tariff barriers to reduce overseas competition. These
are the barriers which our government is trying to break down
because they cost us more in the long run when raised by other
countries against our primary producers.

If you say that AQIS haven't made the right decision in this case
then show me the evidence. If you want me to accept what you say
then you make the argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

David

eat it I don't care , remember this decision came from a government
that blew billions on silly schemes and killed people in the process


What has this got to do with the importing of apples? Nothing really it's
just an anti government rant.


the apples /greatwall are low quality and taste like it
watch your tv as I am sure this subject will arise again


When did you eat these Chinese apples? What kind were they? In what way
were they bad?

I'll save you the trouble, you haven't actually eaten any apples that could
be identified as Chinese, instead you are having another generalised rant.

David



  #6   Report Post  
Old 24-01-2011, 06:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2009
Posts: 152
Default Chinese apples

yeh well hey?

what about oranges and orange juice pulp, and cherries, garlic,
seafood and grapes, and no aussie dried apricots sold anymore as far
as i have seen in the stupid markets. once you get into the processed
foods all of it is imported, mushrooms, asparagus, pineapple you name
it.

milk from new zealand.

and when our farmers are gone and all our processing/manufacturing is
off shore then they can hold us to ransom.

makes it easy for 'them' when aussie's are looked after so poorly that
all they can afford is what ever is cheapest.

wait until the carbon tax bites, australia flexing its ego before the
world stage.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:40:37 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture aka AQIS has approved the
importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word in the ears of your local
federal member might be a good idea.


--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither
the day nor the hour wherein the Son
of man cometh"

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
  #7   Report Post  
Old 24-01-2011, 11:15 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 24/01/2011 11:05 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 24/01/2011 6:47 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 5:49 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 23/01/2011 1:38 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture

why are they that?
they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human
waste , bad chemicals are used and the certainly run the risk
iof importing disease which we have of sign of


How do you know this?

D
it's fact
if you want more google it

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence and on the whole do a good job in a difficult situation.
There are always competing interests in these cases and many would
like to use laws relating to keeping out plant disease (for
example) in place of tariff barriers to reduce overseas
competition. These are the barriers which our government is trying
to break down because they cost us more in the long run when
raised by other countries against our primary producers.

If you say that AQIS haven't made the right decision in this case
then show me the evidence. If you want me to accept what you say
then you make the argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

David
eat it I don't care , remember this decision came from a government
that blew billions on silly schemes and killed people in the process


What has this got to do with the importing of apples? Nothing really
it's just an anti government rant.


the apples /greatwall are low quality and taste like it
watch your tv as I am sure this subject will arise again


When did you eat these Chinese apples? What kind were they? In what
way were they bad?
yes I did

and they were dreadful the three times I tried them as mentioned


So you are telling us that within 10 days of these apples landing in
Australia you rushed out to try them. Apples which you believe

"they are not grown in decent soil and are contaminated by human waste, bad
chemicals "

Not once but three times. What a trooper you are subjecting yourself to
such pains on our behalf. But you don't know what kind they were or recall
where it was and you cannot say in what way they were bad.


I'll save you the trouble, you haven't actually eaten any apples that
could be identified as Chinese, instead you are having another
generalised rant.

you have no ****ing idea as always

David


No, I just like to have evidence instead of ranting and prejudice. If
people are going to report their experiences I think it fair that they
actually have those experiences.

David


  #8   Report Post  
Old 24-01-2011, 11:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

gardenlen wrote:
yeh well hey?

what about oranges and orange juice pulp, and cherries, garlic,
seafood and grapes, and no aussie dried apricots sold anymore as far
as i have seen in the stupid markets. once you get into the processed
foods all of it is imported, mushrooms, asparagus, pineapple you name
it.

milk from new zealand.


So what is the solution Len? Back to protectionism, the quick and easy
solution of the populist? You are aware of course that this is exactly the
argument used by some of our trading partners to keep out Australian
produce.

David

  #9   Report Post  
Old 25-01-2011, 02:29 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 135
Default Chinese apples

David Hare-Scott wrote:

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence


The only evidence AQIS uses is the almighty dollar. The Q is redundant
these days.
  #10   Report Post  
Old 25-01-2011, 09:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

terryc wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence


The only evidence AQIS uses is the almighty dollar. The Q is redundant
these days.


how do you know this?

D


  #11   Report Post  
Old 26-01-2011, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 135
Default Chinese apples

David Hare-Scott wrote:
terryc wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence


The only evidence AQIS uses is the almighty dollar. The Q is redundant
these days.


how do you know this?


The way in which the phrase business risk is now the order of the day.
Shrug, if you had been following what is going on, then you would have
seen it too.
  #12   Report Post  
Old 26-01-2011, 10:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,036
Default Chinese apples

atec77 wrote:
On 26/01/2011 6:07 PM, terryc wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
terryc wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

My position is that AQIS make these decisions based on available
evidence



The only evidence AQIS uses is the almighty dollar. The Q is
redundant these days.

how do you know this?


The way in which the phrase business risk is now the order of the
day. Shrug, if you had been following what is going on, then you
would have seen it too.

Following the facts would mean he couldn't troll
an old familiar pattern and enough to earn him a plonk


Yet another hint that the facts are out there and easy to find. You would
think that if it was so easy at least one of you would have come up with
something. If asking you to explain and support your assertions is too
uncomfortable then by all means add me to your killfile. This won't add
anything to substance of your comments but you might feel better if they
seem to go unchallenged.

I don't work for the Government, I don't think they are doing a particularly
good job, I have no brief to support AQIS I just like to see reason and
facts have some part our discussions. If AQIS was corrupt or suffering
undue political pressure and making bad decisions I WOULD want to know about
it. I do actually want you blokes to come up with something, if there is
anything.

David

  #13   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2011, 01:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 135
Default Chinese apples

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I just like to
see reason and facts have some part our discussions.


Shrug, it is there is you want to find it. It simply requres an ability
to read between the lines and put 1 and 1 together. As far as I'm
concerned, either people have( taught themselves) the ability to read
and think critically or they don't.

If AQIS was
corrupt or suffering undue political pressure and making bad decisions I
WOULD want to know about it. I do actually want you blokes to come up
with something, if there is anything.


Keep reading and thinking.
  #14   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2011, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 126
Default Chinese apples


"terryc" wrote in message
...
David Hare-Scott wrote:
I just like to see reason and facts have some part our discussions.


Shrug, it is there is you want to find it. It simply requres an ability to
read between the lines and put 1 and 1 together. As far as I'm concerned,
either people have( taught themselves) the ability to read and think
critically or they don't.

If AQIS was corrupt or suffering undue political pressure and making bad
decisions I WOULD want to know about it. I do actually want you blokes
to come up with something, if there is anything.


Keep reading and thinking.


David my reasons for the op are that Oz farmers are getting belted by crap
from overseas. I will not buy os produce, maybe that is jingoistic, but we
produce good stuff and they want us to have crap. There is no reason to
import apples into here. Other farmers (oranges) have been decimated by
subsidised juice from South America. We are supposed to EXPORT food not
import it.
Rant over.


  #15   Report Post  
Old 27-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1[_3_] View Post
Just read the destroyer of Oz agriculture aka AQIS has approved the importation of Chinese apples. A not so quiet word in the ears of your local federal member might be a good idea.
The greatest danger from this imported waste is the introduction of D Suzuki and other exotic pests into Australia. The effect would be devastating on the stone fruit and apple industry here (much like the mess caused by D Suzuki in the U.S. when it was introduced into their cherry and stone fruit crops recently).

Our current labor government has extraordinarily weak policies and ministers who made agriculture a low priority. The former Ag minister Tony Burke and other labor trade ministers allowed themselves to be strong armed by China with threats of trade retaliation if they didn't allow this Chinese fruit into Australia. The best labor could come up with was a scheme that involves making the Chinese exporter jump through hoops to try to get the apples into this country.

Currently Coles and Woolworths/Safeway, our two major retailers with around 70% retail market share, are refusing to stock these Chinese apples (IGA is unofficially staying away from this fruit). A few people are out hunting down the retailers who are trying to sell the stuff. So far the big markets and many minor retailers are staying away from the Chinese fruit. It's just not worth a retailers time to stock something that nobody will buy and that taints the reputation of the store. My guess is that the bulk of the fruit has gone into manufacturing. I expect that the products produced from this fruit will eventually be identified and suitably boycotted.

ps: a radio station over in Sydney did an informal test. 5 out of 7 identified the Chinese fruit by taste. 1 spat the sample out....


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese orchid Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 09-04-2009 08:31 AM
Chinese elm problems Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 22-03-2003 05:56 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 16-03-2003 09:32 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM
Chinese Elm breaking dormancy Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-02-2003 04:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017