Old 25-01-2011, 04:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Speaking of apples

My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.

Old 25-01-2011, 05:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping
local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.

Good old GS a really great apple if not ripe or sunburnt. My ab fav is
Johnathon but very hard to get as keeping is not one of their qualities.

Old 25-01-2011, 09:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

wrote in message
My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping
local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.

Good old GS a really great apple if not ripe or sunburnt. My ab fav is
Johnathon but very hard to get as keeping is not one of their qualities.

my absolute favourite also. Only a few shops stock them here in WA and only
for the limited season. As they are the universal pollinator of apples they
should get more cred than they do. Number 2 is Fuji. Number 3 sunripened
Granny. Perfumed apples leave me cold.

Old 28-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.
Only one variety of apple at Woollies ??? That's a bit rough. Are you in the flood affected areas with limited supply ?

Old 30-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Perth, Western Australia

I'm near Perth. I gave up shopping for f&v at WW years ago and now just use a few good local grocers. They always have the variety and freshness. "Woolworths the Fresh Food people" slogan has been a bad joke for ages.
Old 31-01-2011, 02:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping
local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.

Did you wonder about when apples are harvested?

Old 31-01-2011, 03:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

u...
wrote in message
My local Woolies store had only Granny Smith apples today. I am hoping
local feedback has
dissuaded them from stocking the crappy Chinese product.

Did you wonder about when apples are harvested?

This past weekend I wondered when citrus fruit was harvested. No matter
where I looked the citrus was imported from the USA and I thought they were
under several feet of snow.

Mike