Old 17-05-2011, 01:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Frosty but good

It has been frosty the last three mornings, this morning the heaviest.
It is nearly 10am and full sun with no wind but the temperature is
still only 9 degrees. Work will have to wait another hour.

Time to collect pumpkins now that nature has exposed them where they
were hiding. I have a buyer! Also for cumquats and several other
things that will be ready over the next few months.

The oranges, lemons and mandarins are ripe. Time to make cordial.

The days have been great, the lettuces, brassicas and broad beans are
powering on.

The famous never-ending chook house grows daily, if the weather holds
it will be finished this week. Probably just in time as foxes have
been around, they must be starting to run short of food.

One of the girls who was attacked by a dog (not mine) has recovered
but is now at the bottom of the pecking order. Chooks are like horses
in that way.

So what is happening at your place?

David
Old 17-05-2011, 01:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Not a lot at the moment. Weather wet and cold. Have garden ready for winter
crops. Have tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, pumpkins, beans up and beetroot and
egg plants not yet showing.
Most of my time is taken up in my annual war with parrots to see who gets
the mandarins and oranges. I fear the extra wet has stopped the native trees
from flowering as much as usual as the parrots are much worse this year.
Cheers,
Dan

Old 13-06-2011, 01:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 17 May 2011 09:45:37 +1000, David Hare-Scott
wrote:

It has been frosty the last three mornings, this morning the heaviest.
It is nearly 10am and full sun with no wind but the temperature is
still only 9 degrees. Work will have to wait another hour.

9 degrees is balmy weather compared to here

Despite the havoc it causes on my taps and hoses, I love the frosty
mornings. We've also had a fair bit of snow, but mainly higher up on
the mountains.

Time to collect pumpkins now that nature has exposed them where they
were hiding. I have a buyer! Also for cumquats and several other
things that will be ready over the next few months.

I christened my hothouse with random pumpkin seeds during summer. To
say they grew like crazy would be an understatement. The fruit would
rot of course - until late autumn - when it was cool enough inside the
hothouse for the fruit to survive. Now I have a *lot* of mature
pumpkins, mainly Jarradales by the looks of it.

The oranges, lemons and mandarins are ripe. Time to make cordial.

The only citrus here are Meyer 'lemons'. Still need to be kept in a
hothouse though.

The days have been great, the lettuces, brassicas and broad beans are
powering on.

As are mine.

The famous never-ending chook house grows daily, if the weather holds
it will be finished this week.

My never-ending chicken tractor is also almost done. Temporarily
housing a rooster (way too overzealous at his job, so now on death
row), he's been usurped by an Isa Brown rooster.

Probably just in time as foxes have
been around, they must be starting to run short of food.

My problem is going to be possums, and it won't be long now either.

One of the girls who was attacked by a dog (not mine) has recovered
but is now at the bottom of the pecking order. Chooks are like horses
in that way.

So what is happening at your place?

Apart from the above, more fencing, need to build a better goat shed,
more shelter for the geese, prepare some beds for the incoming cider
apples and Bramley), build a new wood shed... the list never ends.

Frosty morning Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 0 08-04-2008 10:00 AM
Frosty Tomatoes Friar Donk Edible Gardening 1 23-05-2007 09:53 PM
Frosty night Sacha United Kingdom 2 09-12-2005 12:50 AM
Frosty Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis SamMan Bamboo 0 04-11-2004 12:45 AM