Old 23-05-2011, 01:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Double trouble

I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...okThiefDuo.jpg

Sorry about the quality but a really big lens would be required to do
much better.

Like snakes there is a limit to how tolerant you can be even if they
are cute. A neighbour has lost two ducks and six chooks.

Both days I sent to pups after them. Leila went along for the fun of
it but Flynn was deadly serious, chasing flat out into the gully. I
couldn't see what happened but there was quite some high pitched
squealing so either he caught one or it was very close and the fox was
in a panic and ummm shall we say soiled itself. Flynn came back
looking very smug.

They haven't reappeared in daylight since and the swamp hens and
herons are about in the vicinity so they may have decided they don't
like my place so much. Good boy Flynn!

David
Old 23-05-2011, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Gee, I know they're pests and a nuisance and all that, but what
beautiful creatures they are!

Years ago, we used to feed our horses very early in the morning, before
work. One morning, my sister and I sat in the car, sipping coffee from a
thermos. As we sat there, a female fox slunk out of the bush and sidled
right up to the stableyards. As we watched in amazement, she hopped into
the trough and began helping the horse with his breakfast (hot bran
mash). The horse never missed a beat, continuing to chomp away and
barely recognising the interloper. After a minute or two, Ms Vixen
hopped out of the trough and trotted off with a large lump of bran mash
in her mouth. We saw this happen many times and eventually the dog fox
came as well. On one occasion, my brother-in-law reckons he came around
the stable corner and found a fox curled up on the rugged back of the
big eventer in his stable! I find this hard to believe, but the b-i-l
insists to this very day that he saw it.

We saw the pair and, eventually, a couple of their offspring for most of
a year, but then they moved on. They were beautiful, just like your
pair, David!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 24-05-2011, 06:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
[...]

They are indeed gorgeous looking things, but then I haven't lost a chook to
one for a while so I can say that with some equanimity. I am positivley
murderous when they kill my chooks and have been known to do nasty things to
get rid of them.

Old 24-05-2011, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...als%20and%20bi
rds/ChookThiefDuo.jpg

[...]

I feel the same way about snails and slugs.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 24-05-2011, 10:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 24 May 2011 12:10:33 -0700, Billy
wrote:

[...]

You must have very slow chooks.

Old 25-05-2011, 01:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , atec77
wrote:

In .au,

"David wrote in message
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...imals%20and%20
bi
rds/ChookThiefDuo.jpg

[...]

Slight difference in toxicity though

I get a perverse pleasure when stretching foxes with a medium calibre

I don't even take pleasure with snails. It's just sump'thin' that
occasionally needs to be done.

Old 25-05-2011, 01:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...nimals%20and%2
0bi
rds/ChookThiefDuo.jpg

[...]

You must be thinkin' Stellaria media, chookweed.

Old 25-05-2011, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You must have very slow chooks.

Or not enough blue tongues...
Old 25-05-2011, 02:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:47:02 +1000, Ross McKay
wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You must have very slow chooks.

Or not enough blue tongues...

Hey Ross

Billy is from the land over the sea where they don't have bluetongues,
ducks would do the job. I am still worried about those snails and
slugs killing his chooks though, they sound really mean.

David
Old 25-05-2011, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Billy in Oz Chooks equals Chickens. But a lot in Oz are being perverted to
calling their chooks chicks...

Old 25-05-2011, 07:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:25:31 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Then there are those who called their chicks chooks...

Old 28-05-2011, 01:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You must have very slow chooks.

Or not enough blue tongues...

Hey Ross

Billy is from the land over the sea where they don't have bluetongues,
ducks would do the job. I am still worried about those snails and
slugs killing his chooks though, they sound really mean.

David

Some of the neighbors put out beer for snails and slugs. After a couple
of pie tins of beer, the snails and slugs can get right abusive.

They, I mean, we don't have bluetongues, we got blue bellies
http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/pages/s.o.occidentalis.html

Old 28-05-2011, 01:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "SG1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...20animals%20an
d%2
0bi
rds/ChookThiefDuo.jpg

[...]

Oh, what a scandal. What I used to call chicks are now mostly chucks ;O)

Old 28-05-2011, 01:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:25:31 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Hold me, I think the room is beginning to rotate.

Old 28-05-2011, 01:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , atec77
wrote:

On 25/05/2011 10:36 AM, Billy wrote:

"David wrote in message
I has one fox a few weeks ago, now I have a pair. Last week on two
successive days they were out and about in daylight in clear view.

They are lovely animals:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...animals%20and%
20
bi
rds/ChookThiefDuo.jpg

[...]

We have a number of large frogs in the yard , now I doubt it's related
but no snails are evident

Sadly, we have a pride of pussies (feline), and frogs, and lizards don't
really stand a much of a chance here. I'd like to get me some ducks or
chickens, but I worry about the wear and tear from the cats, and our
gimpy dog, Beau. A goose may be possible, but then I'd worry about the
wear and tear of the goose on the cats, gimpy dog, and me :O(