Old 15-06-2011, 04:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Information about ginger please :-)

Greetings fellow diggers,

for the first time since my Dads passing my Mum has shown an interest
for growing ginger. Any info you have would be appreciated she's
interested in ginger to use in cooking and also the sweet scented flowers.
Anything to make her happy :-))

Many thanx

Linda

Old 15-06-2011, 05:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day linda,

need to know whee you are going to grow the ginger climatically that
is.

it is a tropical/sub-tropical into warm temerate plant

it dies off in witer even up here in sth/east qld, usually we mulch it
heavily just before the top dies of to keep the corms warmer in the
gound over winter, and it comes back usually in the early summer when
the gound temp is right, so having it in a sunny northen spot will
help that process,when growing it likes to be kept moist but not too
much so, bete flavour from corms that are kept on the drier side,ours
grows with rainfall only.

for cullinary use just go feret a piece of corm and finely cut it or
grate it on the fine grater into food wash first no need to peel it,
if you want to store it between using it freeze it and grae it frozen
as you need it. beter grown i the garden.

also check out gal-n-gal aka indonesian ginger it is easier to grow
than ginger it is an evergreen up here,tastes pretty much the same.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:17:19 +0800, "odonata (Linda)"
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 16-06-2011, 12:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:
g'day linda,

need to know whee you are going to grow the ginger climatically that
is.

it is a tropical/sub-tropical into warm temerate plant

Yep

it dies off in witer even up here in sth/east qld, usually we mulch it
heavily just before the top dies of to keep the corms warmer in the
gound over winter, and it comes back usually in the early summer when
the gound temp is right, so having it in a sunny northen spot will
help that process,when growing it likes to be kept moist but not too
much so, bete flavour from corms that are kept on the drier side,ours
grows with rainfall only.

I can grow it in a season, that is between the last and first frosts. It
does like humidity which we get in summer. If your summer is very hot and
dry try some shade cloth over it and mulch heavily.

for cullinary use just go feret a piece of corm and finely cut it or
grate it on the fine grater into food wash first no need to peel it,
if you want to store it between using it freeze it and grae it frozen
as you need it. beter grown i the garden.

Really young fresh ginger is wonderful, I could eat it as a vegetable.

also check out gal-n-gal aka indonesian ginger it is easier to grow
than ginger it is an evergreen up here,tastes pretty much the same.

This is a matter of opinion. Galangal is closely related to ginger and the
rhizomes look similar but to me the flavour is quite different and you
cannot substitute one for the other.

David

Old 16-06-2011, 04:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

odonata (Linda) wrote:

Anything to make her happy :-))

SW Sydney the boss grows it in old wheel barrows under an orange tree.
AFAIK, rich soil and plenty of watering. Looks nothing like the stuff in
the shops, but can be used. Hint, microclimate.

Never seen it flower. Is she thinging of various other flowering plants
that are of the ginger family?