Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered User

It's never to late to cultivates plants for these season. Might as well start it up to be to see the fruits of labor.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Close to Spring

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:08:23 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:34:07 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given

I've jsut been reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls cookbooks and am now
quite interested in planting Bramleys given how highly he praises them as
cooking apple. He's also into cider apples and has piqued my interest in
them too.

LOL, one of my nearby neighbours refers to me a 'Hugh'.

:-))

I pretty much
grow and cook the same things as he does. So now I have a Bramley and
two Granny Smiths - should take care of my cooking apples needs.

I'm also into cider making (hence the cider trees) , I quickly
realised any/all cider kits left much to be desired and that you can't
beat cider made from fresh, local apples. I've learnt that higher
alcohol by volume isn't necessarily such a good idea, my batches from
last year average 12% and any more than a couple of stubbies is
usually too much for me... I actually _don't_ enjoy getting ****ed
even though I do like to drink

I can't see that attraction in getting ****ed either, but a good drink
(either alchoholic or non) is well worth doing.

I make beer and spirits also, and other stuff like cherry wine, ginger
beer and perry. Although this year I've been concentrating on making
mead, which is a much longer term proposition - and considerably more
expensive. My last 30L batch using local Leatherwood honey cost me
about $80... now I just have to wait a couple of years...

Well that's cheaper than the 10kg batch of salami I've just hung :-))

I'll bet! I've been wanting to get some proper proscuitto happening
but the initial outlay has put me off somewhat - I've experimented
with using lamb and duck breast (at least its cheap if things go
wrong), which works quite well. I'll get around to it, probably next
winter.

I'm going to need a pot still soon, as I especially want to make apple
cider brandy and cherry brandy. Also want to put through some
alcoholic ginger beer and see what happens. And of course, some spiced
mead liqueur once she's aged enough... yum.

Although I have a still, its a conventional type which means that
it'll strip any colour, smell and flavor from anything put through it,
a pot still doesn't do that, hence the need for a pot still.

Interesting. What is the difference between a conventional vs a pot and
where does one buy such a thing in Oz anyway? I have seen a very neat
little still in a brew shop in Mildura, but I wouldn't know it was a pot or
a conventional one.

This page explains the basic differences:
http://homedistiller.org/types.htm

We've had a mild winter really (by local standards), had a few -6's
with hard frost but nothing like 2008 and '09. I hope we don't have
another mild spring/summer/autumn again, nice weather for humans but
not so great for flowering and fruiting plants.

We've had quite few low temps and the mornings seen to be worse this year
than we've had for a while, but perhaps that is just me getting older and
feeling it more. I think I'm becoming more like a lizard as I get older - I
now like to bask in winter sun.

No sun here lately, we're flooded in for the fourth time this year.
All the locals say they've never seen weather like this before, what
with record snow falls as well. At the same time ironically this
winter has been relatively warm. I need to go to Hobart this Friday,
so hopefully we won't get much more rain this week...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I have seen a very neat
little still in a brew shop in Mildura, but I wouldn't know it was a pot
or
a conventional one.

This page explains the basic differences:
http://homedistiller.org/types.htm

Aaaah! Thank you - a very interesting site.

No sun here lately, we're flooded in for the fourth time this year.

Bugger!

All the locals say they've never seen weather like this before, what
with record snow falls as well. At the same time ironically this
winter has been relatively warm. I need to go to Hobart this Friday,
so hopefully we won't get much more rain this week...

IIRC, you're somewhere up the nth east coast???????

Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I have seen a very neat
little still in a brew shop in Mildura, but I wouldn't know it was a pot
or
a conventional one.

This page explains the basic differences:
http://homedistiller.org/types.htm

Aaaah! Thank you - a very interesting site.

No sun here lately, we're flooded in for the fourth time this year.

Bugger!

All the locals say they've never seen weather like this before, what
with record snow falls as well. At the same time ironically this
winter has been relatively warm. I need to go to Hobart this Friday,
so hopefully we won't get much more rain this week...

IIRC, you're somewhere up the nth east coast???????

Yup, in the NE but inland somewhat, hence the heavy frosts.

One good thing being in a mountainous area is that whilst we do get
what seems to be fairly regular flooding here (at least these days it
seems), it also drains away quickly. Flash flooding, snow/ice and
fallen trees on the roads can make things rather interesting though,
especially if you're trying to get home after dark... all part of the
adventure of living here I suppose
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I have seen a very neat
little still in a brew shop in Mildura, but I wouldn't know it was a pot
or
a conventional one.

This page explains the basic differences:
http://homedistiller.org/types.htm

Aaaah! Thank you - a very interesting site.

Basically, with a pot still (used in Cognac), the first and last over
(heads & tails) is discarded. This distillation is done 2 or 3 times.
With a continuous still (coffee still?) a thermometer is set into a
column above the liquid being distilled, just adjacent to the discharge
to the cooling coil. IIRC about 201 F (94 C) is where you should start
taking your cut. Very volitile substance will exit the top of the
column, and less volitile substances will re-condense and and fall back
into the boiling chamber.

No sun here lately, we're flooded in for the fourth time this year.

Bugger!

All the locals say they've never seen weather like this before, what
with record snow falls as well. At the same time ironically this
winter has been relatively warm. I need to go to Hobart this Friday,
so hopefully we won't get much more rain this week...

IIRC, you're somewhere up the nth east coast???????

Wanted to thank you for the suggestion of Donna Leon. Lovey-poo is
enjoying them immensely. We were very pleased that Guido Brunetti et al
are out in video format as well, from Germany mit Unter Titles. So far
we've seen Episode 1, Vendetta; and Episode 2, Anonymous Venetian.
http://www.mhznetworks.org/shop/
The DVDs are a little pricey for us, so we'll continue to extract them
off the TV.

The Irene Huss mysteries, based on the best-selling crime fiction of
Helene Tursten looks good too.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 13-08-2011, 08:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

Wanted to thank you for the suggestion of Donna Leon. Lovey-poo is
enjoying them immensely. We were very pleased that Guido Brunetti et al
are out in video format as well, from Germany mit Unter Titles. So far
we've seen Episode 1, Vendetta; and Episode 2, Anonymous Venetian.
http://www.mhznetworks.org/shop/
The DVDs are a little pricey for us, so we'll continue to extract them
off the TV.

Excellent! I'm glad that Lovey-poo is enjoying them. Wait till she
discovers Patrick O'Brian who is an even better author :-))

The Irene Huss mysteries, based on the best-selling crime fiction of
Helene Tursten looks good too.

Not heard of her - will do a request at the library.

Old 17-08-2011, 09:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:28:06 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
snip
No sun here lately, we're flooded in for the fourth time this year.

Now we're going for the fifth time... only a week later.