Old 21-09-2011, 08:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default How is spring going?

Here it has been very warm. The last two weeks had plenty of days in mid to
high twenties (degrees C). Yesterday a gale up around 80-100kph as well.
The mad pasture burners were very pleased, everything got away from them,
lots of fun and a few burned fences but not mine.

Winter was also warm but wet. I have never seen the grass look as good this
early before. There is still plenty of moisture in the soil so everything
is booming ahead. Most of out pumpkins went bad :-( Normally they will
keep up to six months over winter and spring unrefrigerated, this year only
two months.

Snakes are about already so I will have to watch the pups carefully as they
have not met one yet. Of have a horrible feeling Leila will want to play
with them :-(

So a question: what are you planting this season that you haven't grown
before? Why? What are your hopes?

For me it's a new tomato cultivar recommended by the local nursery. I
didn't get any say as SWMBO came home with them but the nursery people are
knowledgeable, helpful and actually grow stuff themselves so I will try it.
What I asked for (and hope for) was a durable, tasty, large tomato. I have
durable, tasty and small but they are a bugger to bottle and have a zillion
seeds.

David

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

On 21/09/11 16:12, David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

So much silence. I will chirp in with one thing I'm excited about,
yacon. I got it off the greenharvest website, it's already growing well,
I look forward to seeing if it lives up to the write up they give it.

Also new things I'm growing:
* QLD Arrowroot
* A new giant cherry tomato
* Luffa (grew angled last season with success late in the season)
* And in a month or so, winged beans.