Old 18-10-2011, 11:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Fruit Tree

Newbie here.... from Sunshine State, Brisbane.

I cleared our backyard and vegie path and am hoping to plant some
fruit tress. Something not too big/tall, something that will good
harvest most time of the year. Already has a kaffir lime tree and
could probably have another half a dozen similar size one. Thinking
of dragonfruit, castard apples... Any other suggestions please?
Old 18-10-2011, 10:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Stella wrote:
Newbie here.... from Sunshine State, Brisbane.

I cleared our backyard and vegie path and am hoping to plant some
fruit tress. Something not too big/tall, something that will good
harvest most time of the year. Already has a kaffir lime tree and
could probably have another half a dozen similar size one. Thinking
of dragonfruit, castard apples... Any other suggestions please?

What do you mean by "not too tall"? How tall is that?

There are no common fruit trees that individually harvest most of the year.
You would be best to get different types (stone, citrus, pome etc) that suit
your climate and within those different cultivars that ripen at different
times. For example you can get early, middle or late peaches. Also citrus
will be mainly ripe in autumn but can stay on the tree for weeks if you
don't want to pull them all at once.

If you want to know all about it buy (or get from the local library) "The
Complete Book of Fruit Growing in Australia" by Louis Glowinski. Which will
tell you all the cultivars, how to grow them etc.

David

Old 19-10-2011, 07:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 03:42:36 -0700 (PDT), Stella
wrote:

Newbie here.... from Sunshine State, Brisbane.

I cleared our backyard and vegie path and am hoping to plant some
fruit tress. Something not too big/tall, something that will good
harvest most time of the year. Already has a kaffir lime tree and
could probably have another half a dozen similar size one. Thinking
of dragonfruit, castard apples... Any other suggestions please?

Dragon fruit grow on succulent vines, rather than trees. Very large
vines too.

JB

Old 19-10-2011, 12:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 03:42:36 -0700 (PDT), Stella wrote:

Newbie here.... from Sunshine State, Brisbane.

I cleared our backyard and vegie path and am hoping to plant some
fruit tress. Something not too big/tall, something that will good
harvest most time of the year. Already has a kaffir lime tree and
could probably have another half a dozen similar size one. Thinking
of dragonfruit, castard apples... Any other suggestions please?

Imperial mandarin would fit the bill. Not sure where in Qld you are, but they grow really
well in Mundubbera.