Old 26-10-2011, 08:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default need help with a plant

SWMBO likes a shrub in our front yard. It is a euronamous or something like
that. What I would like to do is take cuttings & propogate them. I have zero
experience in this

Old 26-10-2011, 09:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
SWMBO likes a shrub in our front yard. It is a euronamous or something like
that. What I would like to do is take cuttings & propogate them. I have zero
experience in this

The basic way was just to take cuttings, including at least two nodes,
one close to the bottom/root end and one close to the top. Trim off most
of the leaf(some people advocate 1/2 a leaf, others a couple (sizeVs
stem), then place into various pots of various mixture which you keep moist.

You could buy and use some rooting compound, paint on the bottom of the
cutting.

All sorts of discussion about softwood(new flexible) Vs hard wood(hard
stiff) and time of year.

Also, if the branches are soft, you could make a wire staple and peg
about 1' to 6" of a shoot across the top of a pot of soil making sure
you bury a node in the soil. That works with some stuff.

Hint, I usually just fill a poly tray with enriched soil and go for the
numbers game in cuttings. so even if your success rate is low, then you
might get something.

Is it Euonymous?
Try here
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...462123719.html

Old 26-10-2011, 09:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that will give the mass cuttings a go and hopefully report in a
month or so.

Old 26-10-2011, 11:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

"terryc" wrote in message
SG1 wrote:
[...]

These will grow from layering as well. Plenty on the net about it. Some call
it simple or ground layering. Is best to remove leaves from what will be
underground. Scrape bark from one side of the stem and you can use use
hormone powder on the wound if you wish. Plonk soil on top and place a rock
on top. That will provide anchorage and keep moisture as well.