Old 17-01-2012, 07:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Parsley

We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first
sign is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses
within a day or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

thanks,
Pete
Old 17-01-2012, 08:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message
eb.com...
We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a day
or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

thanks,
Pete

How old are the plants? Summer usually makes them bolt to seed in the second
year and crowns will go off then. Mine that I grew from seed and planted 6
months ago are a mass of green leaves. They have not developed a parsnip
coloured trunk if that is what you mean by crown. 2 years is old for a
parsley and summer is the harshest time for them.

If they are young plants then I'd be thinking a fungal problem or something
like carrot fly (not sure it is in Aus) being the cause.

I found this handbook on Parsley
http://www.vgavic.org.au/research_an...e_handbook.htm

Old 18-01-2012, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Peter Costigan wrote:
We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first
sign is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses
within a day or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

Do you get a lot of misty weather? I'm thinking fungal, but I've also
seen crown rot in carrots from borers/grubs.

Our flat parsley is a continual self sown pest/green mulch and it is one
thing that does grow well here.

Old 18-01-2012, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message

We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a day
or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

What an interesting problem. I've not come across it with my parsley and I
grow the flat leaved (Italian) variety in abundance. Terry's questiona
about misty weather instantly brought Robertson to mind since I grew up near
there. I'd love to know what it is, so if you do ever find out, could you
post here and let us know please?

Old 18-01-2012, 07:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:20:53 +1100, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message

We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a day
or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

What an interesting problem. I've not come across it with my parsley and I
grow the flat leaved (Italian) variety in abundance. Terry's questiona
about misty weather instantly brought Robertson to mind since I grew up near
there. I'd love to know what it is, so if you do ever find out, could you
post here and let us know please?

Check your drainage. I had this happen, I had not noticed that the
pots were waterlogged.

JB

Old 19-01-2012, 10:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

On 17/01/12 5:21 PM, Peter Costigan wrote:
We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a
day or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

thanks,
Pete

Thanks for all the comments. I don't think the soil is waterlogged, but
I have planted some in pots as an alternative. We are down to one plant
in the garden. We do not get misty weather at this time of year. The
handbook Loosecanon pointed me to is very interesting (thanks) and I
guess one of the problems in there is the one I am experiencing, but it
is hard to nail it exactly. I have now bought some Italian parsley and
will see how that goes. We got our plants from our local Harris Farm
Market in Bowral. We got an enormous number of plants, so gave many to
the daughter in Wollongong and they are powering on, so it is a problem
here, not the seedlings themselves.

We will persevere.

cheers,
Pete
Old 20-01-2012, 12:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message

We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a day
or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

What an interesting problem. I've not come across it with my parsley and I
grow the flat leaved (Italian) variety in abundance. Terry's questiona
about misty weather instantly brought Robertson to mind since I grew up near
there.

I miss the Robertson pie shop. I used to live at Kiama until 4 years
ago, and would make a special run to that pie shop from time to time.
It was a nice drive anyway... aside from when the occasional idiot in
a semi would attempt Maquarie pass and end up stuck and blocking the
road!

Sorry to the OP, doesn't solve your parsley problem. I've never heard
of that happening before, although I do have a similar problem with
Rosemary dying off. Not sure if it's the very wet weather we get
during winter, or if it's just plain too cold here (N.E Tas) during
winter for Rosemary.

Parsley. Any special sowing requirements? WasTa United Kingdom 11 05-11-2003 08:42 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 11:20 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 05:32 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 11:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 11:03 PM