GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Papaya/ paw paw (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/203538-papaya-paw-paw.html)

sunshine 13-05-2012 05:51 AM

Papaya/ paw paw

We bought this house that comes with three fully-grown papaya or paw
paw trees. It has been three years now and I think it is time to ask
for help before I get hubby to chop it down :-((

We live in Brisbane Queensland so you think the weather would suit.
But for some reason, although the fruit trees produce lots of fruit,
but when come to fruition/ripe to yellowish colour, the taste of the
fruit is tasteless. I have tried to pick it at different time: when it
just started to show colour, when it's yellower and when it's green.
But it remains tasteless.

Then some friends said I probably should try and make some pickles or
soup. But the fruits feel very light, no substance. Unlike those I
see in markets where they are heavy and solid.

Is there anything I can do to improve the fruit? Any advice is greatly
appreciated.

Cheers

terryc 15-05-2012 03:39 AM

Papaya/ paw paw

On 13/05/12 13:51, sunshine wrote:

Is there anything I can do to improve the fruit? Any advice is greatly
appreciated.

No idea to be honest. Most of the ones we buy in the shops are rather
tasteless or yuck.

Just a suggestion to consider the fruit at different stages for pickles
or whatever. Note, it might blend/puree to make a sauce rather than
looking at solid chunks in stuff.

Have you tried different ways of cooking it? BBQ, micowave, etc.

As to flavour, suggests something missing.
Do they require regular watering? frigging oranges
Might be something as simple as wrong pH. do you have a kit?

What sort of soils are you on? Clay?, try scattering gypsum and watering
it on. May take a couple of years.

I'd also try mulch/compostig the drip line to see if that helps.

You could also try packets of the various trace elements, and nutrients
scattered in quarter circle segments around the drip line and see if any
one in particular helps.

If you have productive trees, it is a shame to cut them down.

terryc 15-05-2012 03:40 AM

Papaya/ paw paw

On 13/05/12 13:51, sunshine wrote:

Is there anything I can do to improve the fruit? Any advice is greatly
appreciated.

Another thought; medicinal products like rubs/cream?

SG1[_4_] 15-05-2012 07:48 AM

Papaya/ paw paw

"terryc" wrote in message
[...]

Roast it like pumpkin but b4 it ripens. Not tried it myself but have had
good reports.