Old 29-06-2013, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default New garden bed

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:20:26 +1000, F Murtz

You might be better off growing as if you were in Tassie, the climates
may be similar (at least during autumn/winter)?

Given his location, I agree. A planting calendar that includes a cold
climate guide would be the worht finding and following especially if the
move to the Bargo Tahmoor area has been from more northern climes.

It's -6° here quite
regularly and the days max out around 12°... but can still grow plenty
of veggies, once you adapt to the conditions. Frost is both a friend
and foe here, depending on what you're growing.

Old 29-06-2013, 11:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 18:51:12 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:20:26 +1000, F Murtz

You might be better off growing as if you were in Tassie, the climates
may be similar (at least during autumn/winter)?

Given his location, I agree. A planting calendar that includes a cold
climate guide would be the worht finding and following especially if the
move to the Bargo Tahmoor area has been from more northern climes.

Yep, this might be of use to him:
http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s2106182.htm

I just realised I forgot to plant my broad beans... maybe it's not too
late as so far the winter here has been fairly mild over all, ground
temp is still reasonable.
Old 30-06-2013, 06:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message

I just realised I forgot to plant my broad beans... maybe it's not too
late as so far the winter here has been fairly mild over all, ground
temp is still reasonable.

I haven't planted any yet either but I'm sure that Cundall says that they
can be planted in very early Spring and there is no noticeable difference in
themcoming into production at the right tiem etc. If it's not Peter who
said that then it is at least someone else whose gardening knowledge I
respect (so it wouldn't be Don Burke)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:58:19 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

I just realised I forgot to plant my broad beans... maybe it's not too
late as so far the winter here has been fairly mild over all, ground
temp is still reasonable.

I haven't planted any yet either but I'm sure that Cundall says that they
can be planted in very early Spring and there is no noticeable difference in
themcoming into production at the right tiem etc. If it's not Peter who
said that then it is at least someone else whose gardening knowledge I
respect

I might make that a plan B... I have a big bucket of broad beans that
are getting a bit old, so I might sew some this week (as it's been
fairly mild here considering) and see if they'll germinate and grow
before a cold snap... if that doesn't work, or work very well, I'll
just sew some more this spring...

(so it wouldn't be Don Burke)

Agreed
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

My broad beans that I planted last year were at least 4 years old and the
germination rate was less than 25%. So I spent $1.34 at Bunnings and am
striking at 100%. They are looking fantastic atm, the rest of the winter
crop is looking pretty daggy but I live in hope.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

Whatever do you do with broad beans? have you got an animal that likes
them? They taste nasty.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:40:55 +1000, "SG1" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm... mine must be at least two years old now.
But yeah, they're not exactly expensive... I suppose I could boil the
bucket full I have on the fire and give them to the chooks.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:55:37 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

They don't have to taste nasty (unless you just plain don't like the
basic taste), but they do require a bit of fiddly preparation to get
the most out of them. They're easy to grow, and for me that's one of
their strong points. You can also eat the young shoots, raw, steamed
or whatever.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote in message

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

SWMBO would agree with you, but I like a feed of them once in a while and
with the small amount I grow about 2 feeds is it.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:58:19 +1000, "Farm1"

(so it wouldn't be Don Burke)

Agreed

See, we aren't all that far apart ;-))

Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message

[...]

When did you plant your BBs? In autumn or since the cold arrived?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"F Murtz" wrote in message

Whatever do you do with broad beans? have you got an animal that likes
them? They taste nasty.

Young, fresh broad beans are delicous. You've probably only ever eaten old,
big ones before if you think they taste nasty.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:19:14 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message

Whatever do you do with broad beans? have you got an animal that likes
them? They taste nasty.

Young, fresh broad beans are delicous. You've probably only ever eaten old,
big ones before if you think they taste nasty.

I forgot to mention that, yeah the young broad beans are lovely... I
sometimes pick them straight off the plant and eat them. The only
downside for me is 'peeling' them, the younger they are the less
necessary that becomes. They make nice dips, or mashed with some
garlic, mint, lemon juice... yum.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:16:52 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:58:19 +1000, "Farm1"

(so it wouldn't be Don Burke)

Agreed

See, we aren't all that far apart ;-))

I didn't necessarily mean it in a negative way
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:58:19 +1000, "Farm1"

(so it wouldn't be Don Burke)

Agreed

See, we aren't all that far apart ;-))

I wouldn't go to Burke for veges and fruit but he's quite good on
landscaping and natives. His book "Indigenous" (plants not people) is quite
good.

New garden bed F Murtz Gardening 5 27-06-2013 08:40 AM
4 bed rotation to 3 bed removing brassicas for space? Broadback United Kingdom 1 16-03-2005 07:52 AM
Creating a new flower or garden bed mary Gardening 8 26-06-2004 12:04 PM
New veg bed Mark United Kingdom 12 14-03-2004 06:09 PM
Project update: New Bed -- Phase 1 done! JNJ Gardening 0 08-07-2003 05:20 AM