GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tradescantia Vs Commelina (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/21245-tradescantia-vs-commelina.html)

David Hare-Scott 08-05-2003 03:56 AM

Tradescantia Vs Commelina

I am trying to find a reliable and quick way to identify and distinguish
Tradescantia fluminensis (Wandering Jew) and Commelina cyanea (Scurvy
weed) when they are not flowering. TF has white flowers and CC has blue
but what if there are no flowers? I care because TF is a declared
noxious weed here and CC is not and I don't want to put in unecessary
effort removing the wrong one.

It seems that CC has leaves that are slightly wider spaced, narrower and
paler than TF but unless I have the two side-by-side I have trouble
distinguishing them by these quantitative characteristics. Are there
any clear qualitative indicators except the flowers?

David

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish 08-05-2003 08:56 AM

Tradescantia Vs Commelina

In article , David Hare-Scott wrote:
I am trying to find a reliable and quick way to identify and distinguish
Tradescantia fluminensis (Wandering Jew) and Commelina cyanea (Scurvy
weed) when they are not flowering. TF has white flowers and CC has blue
but what if there are no flowers? I care because TF is a declared
noxious weed here and CC is not and I don't want to put in unecessary
effort removing the wrong one.

It seems that CC has leaves that are slightly wider spaced, narrower and
paler than TF but unless I have the two side-by-side I have trouble
distinguishing them by these quantitative characteristics. Are there
any clear qualitative indicators except the flowers?

Grasp a leaf towards the base on the vein. If it feels waxy and
fleshy it's Tradescantia. If it feels less substantial, then it's Comelina.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish 24-09-2003 01:02 PM

Tradescantia Vs Commelina

In article , David
Hare-Scott wrote:

I am trying to find a reliable and quick way to identify and distinguish
Tradescantia fluminensis (Wandering Jew) and Commelina cyanea (Scurvy
weed) when they are not flowering. TF has white flowers and CC has blue
but what if there are no flowers? I care because TF is a declared
noxious weed here and CC is not and I don't want to put in unecessary
effort removing the wrong one.

It seems that CC has leaves that are slightly wider spaced, narrower and
paler than TF but unless I have the two side-by-side I have trouble
distinguishing them by these quantitative characteristics. Are there
any clear qualitative indicators except the flowers?

Grasp a leaf towards the base on the vein. If it feels waxy and
fleshy it's Tradescantia. If it feels less substantial, then it's Comelina.

At this time of year, the Commelina has largely died off or shed its
leaves, whereas the Tradescantia is lush and green (and occasionally
in flower), particularly where the winter has been dry and the weather
is relatively cold