GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Glyphosate. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/212684-glyphosate.html)

F Murtz 01-05-2016 10:48 AM

Glyphosate.

If a disused weed filled garden has been nuked with glyphosate,how long
before it can be reinstated as a garden?

Bloke Down The Pub 02-05-2016 01:57 AM

Glyphosate.

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
If a disused weed filled garden has been nuked with glyphosate,how long
before it can be reinstated as a garden?

Although the glyphosate will kill the growing weeds there will/may still be
viable seeds just waiting for you to start your feeding the ground. Last
time I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was neutralised
as soon as it in the dirt and GM crops are modified so that they can be
sprayed with the stuff.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible crops
but that I can plant whenever I like.

Mike

news16 02-05-2016 06:07 AM

Glyphosate.

On Mon, 02 May 2016 07:57:09 +0800, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...
If a disused weed filled garden has been nuked with glyphosate,how long
before it can be reinstated as a garden?

Although the glyphosate will kill the growing weeds there will/may still
be viable seeds just waiting for you to start your feeding the ground.
Last time I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was
neutralised as soon as it in the dirt

Absolute bullshit. I've tried touch weeding selected weeds in a pot and
both plants ended up dying. been reported by others as well.

and GM crops are modified so that
they can be sprayed with the stuff.

The idea is that everything else is nuked.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible
crops but that I can plant whenever I like.

It just has to survive the glychopospate. Large seed items houlkd have
less problems.

Jeßus[_13_] 02-05-2016 11:37 PM

Glyphosate.

On Sun, 1 May 2016 18:48:47 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

If a disused weed filled garden has been nuked with glyphosate,how long
before it can be reinstated as a garden?

I'd leave it at least a month. Actually, I more likely would wait a
couple of weeks, then plant a green manure crop. Then plant veggies
come spring time. Ground temperature influences greatly how quickly
glyphosate works too, so the colder the season is, the longer it takes
to do it's job. All depends how much you accept their recommendations
I suppose. I'm sceptical to most claims they make regarding it's
safety and 'breaking down' to harmless chemicals.

Jeßus[_13_] 02-05-2016 11:41 PM

Glyphosate.

On Mon, 2 May 2016 07:57:09 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was neutralised
as soon as it in the dirt

Just about. That's not to say it isn't still harmful though, just that
as a herbicide it isn't very effective. There has been times I have
been forced to use dirty dam water with glyphosate and found that if
applied within ten minutes, it was still effective. After ten
minutes... didn't do much at all to weeds.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible crops
but that I can plant whenever I like.

That's what they say, I wouldn't trust that claim for a moment.

Bloke Down The Pub 04-05-2016 04:56 PM

Glyphosate.

wrote:

I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was neutralised
as soon as it in the dirt

Just about. That's not to say it isn't still harmful though, just that
as a herbicide it isn't very effective. There has been times I have
been forced to use dirty dam water with glyphosate and found that if
applied within ten minutes, it was still effective. After ten
minutes... didn't do much at all to weeds.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible
crops
but that I can plant whenever I like.

That's what they say, I wouldn't trust that claim for a moment.

I have to agree that a degree of mistrust is prudent. Which is why I read
the labels looking for GM signs and attempt to limit my intake, despite the
assurances that they are harmless.

Mike

SG1 04-05-2016 10:44 PM

Glyphosate.

wrote:

I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was neutralised
as soon as it in the dirt

Just about. That's not to say it isn't still harmful though, just that
as a herbicide it isn't very effective. There has been times I have
been forced to use dirty dam water with glyphosate and found that if
applied within ten minutes, it was still effective. After ten
minutes... didn't do much at all to weeds.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible
crops
but that I can plant whenever I like.

That's what they say, I wouldn't trust that claim for a moment.

I have to agree that a degree of mistrust is prudent. Which is why I read
the labels looking for GM signs and attempt to limit my intake, despite
the assurances that they are harmless.

They may be harmless, but you don't want the GGkids to be armless....

Mike

Jeßus[_14_] 12-05-2016 03:40 AM

Glyphosate.

On Wed, 4 May 2016 22:56:09 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I read a glyphosate bottle it told me that the chemical was neutralised
as soon as it in the dirt

Just about. That's not to say it isn't still harmful though, just that
as a herbicide it isn't very effective. There has been times I have
been forced to use dirty dam water with glyphosate and found that if
applied within ten minutes, it was still effective. After ten
minutes... didn't do much at all to weeds.

Back from the shed my bottle says 7 day withholding period for edible
crops
but that I can plant whenever I like.

That's what they say, I wouldn't trust that claim for a moment.

I have to agree that a degree of mistrust is prudent. Which is why I read
the labels looking for GM signs and attempt to limit my intake, despite the
assurances that they are harmless.

My memory fails me ATM as far as details, but IIRC it was found that
glyphosate *does* break down, but not into 'harmless' constituents,
like they claim (or used to claim).