Old 12-02-2006, 05:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Default my passionfruit is dying - please help!!

Hello there

I have had an extremely happy nellie kelly vine that I planted about
four years ago, and for the last two years we have been able to supply
passionfruit by the boxful to all of our neighbours and friends. About
two weeks ago a section of it started to wilt and turn brown and the
unripe fruit puckered up and dropped off, and now most of the vine is
turning up its toes.

It seems to have a bit of a powdery grey thing happening on some of the
stems and fruit, but the leaves seem to look ok, right up to the moment
when they wilt and die.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is there anything I can do to save
the rest of the vine? And is there any way I can prevent whatever-it-is
from killing off the other passionfruit vine round the side of the house?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

xx

Cath
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:

[...]

They have a certain lenght of life. Maybe yours has had a hard life.
Pull it out and replace it with another in a different part of the
garden. Where do you live? They love a north /south aspect on the
northern part of your home.
It may either be getting too much water, is water logged or is too dry.
My Passion fruit is all over my yard, all over anything it can get to
gain extra heigth and is lucky enough to get extra water when it rains
due to broken gutter. Some vines have it perfect... 3 years old and
accidental add in to nursery plant. Grew better than a grafted variety.
The wifes tickled pink?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:06:34 +1100, HailtotheDuck wrote:

Hello there

I have had an extremely happy nellie kelly vine that I planted about
four years ago, and for the last two years we have been able to supply
passionfruit by the boxful to all of our neighbours and friends. About
two weeks ago a section of it started to wilt and turn brown and the
unripe fruit puckered up and dropped off, and now most of the vine is
turning up its toes.

It seems to have a bit of a powdery grey thing happening on some of the
stems and fruit, but the leaves seem to look ok, right up to the moment
when they wilt and die.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is there anything I can do to save
the rest of the vine? And is there any way I can prevent whatever-it-is
from killing off the other passionfruit vine round the side of the house?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nellie Kelly is only goo for 4 or 5 years.

Ideally, plant a new one every 3 years in different spots in the garden.

Old 13-02-2006, 01:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jonno and rainman

I was worried that my plant might have contracted some sort of virus
thing that would spread through the garden and kill off all my
best-loved plants, including the new passionfruit on the side fence.

To answer your question Jonno - I'm in Melbourne, and I guess the dear
old vine had a bit of a tough life - in two years I think it must have
produced enough fruit to supply all the pavlova and sponge makers of the
southern hemisphere for a decade. Perhaps it's just exhausted.

I'm sad that my incredibly fruity vine has reached the end of its
(short) life, but gosh that's a lot better than having my whole garden
succumb to a horrible-unstoppable-plant-killing-virus-from-hell.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help.

Cath

Old 14-02-2006, 04:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

wrote:

[...]

I Had to prune my unstoppable vine, some trailing vines were cut and I
got a scolding from the "one that must be obeyed" Because the leaves
started to die. Not surprisingly I copped a blast. AT least I can get to
the garden shed and beyond now!!

Old 14-02-2006, 07:02 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:
Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Now you're just bragging.

I have to confess, I'm on the side of She. My husband would have copped
a blast from me too if he'd messed with my passionfruit vine.

When I had a passionfruit vine.

Sob.

So, can you recommend a variety of passionfruit that lasts a little
longer than the nellie kelly? I know passionfruit vines don't last for
ever, but a couple of bumper harvests followed by a dramatic death just
isn't enough for me.

Now you know why its called a passion fruit tree.
I need to get to my shed so I can get some peace from "she"
"She" reckoned the passion fruit "vine" has been messed about much too
much and were not talking about the one that lasts 5/7 years.
If I were you, I'd grow one from seed. Never mind the grafted variety.
Just use a few seeds from the vine.
Its always hype. (You didnt eat them all did you?) Ours grew from seed
and was never grafted allong side a plant from a nursery.
This year things in my yard are growing so fast we had to put a "stop"
sign in the garden so "she" wont use the garden paths. Pumpkins went
rampant, grass cant be cut, its a jungle.
When I brag its about things its because fowl manure allows me too.
The rains have been regular. That also helps.
What is it about doing a bit of light trimming? It neve kills anything,
and allows you to regulate plants and in most cases makes it grow better
anyway. The few deads vines are no problem. Dont be such a sissy. Real
men cut and slash. They have created the conditions to do so. I may have
to get the whip out yet and say to the vine "one more step and you die"
Never let em get the upper hand
That always gets 'em. I show em the ZERO too.
O dear, time for the valium to start kicking in. I'm high on plants.....
Old 15-02-2006, 01:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Jonno wrote:
HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So let me get this straight... "She" keeps Jonno in line inside the
house, and then Jonno gets out in the garden and lets out his
testosterone on the plants, just to make sure they know who's boss.

It sounds like "she" has the chain of command pretty well organised at
your place.

You're quite right of course, a bit of trimming would make a world of
difference to my garden. Except for the (late lamented) passionfruit
everything in growing like crazy, and I expect there are whole families
of jungle hyenas and wildebeests living behind the asparagus patch.

I'm obviously not enough of a real man. Though I expect my husband
prefers it that way.
Old 15-02-2006, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:
Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh hell my secrets out.
No I try to please "her" but common sense gets in the way, like it should.
You cant have your mates over otherwise...Burn and slash but "do no
harm" is out motto."
They all whinge about their passion fruits having died on the vine.
A bit of trimming could see all their love lives turn around.
Of course, when youre ninety like me, its really doesnt matter much.
A good slash never hurt anyone. I worry the nurses a bit though when I
stare at then through the ward window at 2 oclock in the morning...
Geez can they run....They reckon Ive got alzheimeres but I can remember
when I used to er be able to spell azlheememmemrs. Bugger
me spellcheckers also got asl bugger gone awol!

I lied im 59 but a good storyteller
Old 16-02-2006, 12:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Jonno wrote:
HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Mmmm... I expect those nurses might have a thing or two to say if you
came at them with the secateurs. Or the ZERO.

Even if you promised it'd turn their love lives around.

Old 17-02-2006, 02:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:
Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah I reckon. Anyway were off topic...
You might like the love lives of passion fruit onvine er online...
http://www.passionfruit.org.nz/Intending_growers.htm

Its a professional growers site. But full of goodness.....
Found this by googling online

Old 17-02-2006, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens
HailtotheDuck

Jonno wrote:
HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jonno, lots of good stuff for me on that site. I shall do lots
of exploring, and then I shall find a way to grow the un-killable,
un-stoppable, un-beatable passionfruit. Then I might even be able to
brag to you.

I apologise for going off topic. All right... way - - - off topic.

I'm new to newsgroups, I don't know the rules. But I'm learning.

Cath
Old 17-02-2006, 02:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

HailtotheDuck wrote:
Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

HailtotheDuck wrote:

Jonno wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I did the same, trying to be funny....But google is also a good way. I
lucked out with my passion fruit... I also seem t ohave a feel for whats
required after many years of grwong stuf. Cant stand "latin" plant name
droppers though. Gardening is supposed to be fun. Not an exercise in
mental ability. If you can grow stuff, it should be instinct,
observation and a game of " I can beat his problem"
PS It also tells you how to propagate from seed, and not dried seed but
straight from the vine, and sprouting after 20 days. Guess who's going
to the local market and sell a 1000 of these next spring? at $8.50 a pop
Old 20-02-2006, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Cant stand "latin" plant name
droppers though. Gardening is supposed to be fun. Not an exercise in
mental ability.

There are reasons for using the scientific names, though: there are three or
so different plants called Black-Eyed Susan and at least two called
Snow-in-Summer. Some plants have more than one common name -- Traveller's
Joy and Old Man's Bard are the same plant, but if I know one common name and
you know the other, we won't be able to help each other. Then there are quite
a number of Australian Natives that don't have common names at all.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"... if *I* was buying a baby I'd jolly well make sure it was at
least a two-tooth!"
Mary Grant Bruce, The Houses of the Eagle.
Old 20-02-2006, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Cant stand "latin" plant name
droppers though. Gardening is supposed to be fun. Not an exercise in
mental ability.

There are reasons for using the scientific names, though: there are three or
so different plants called Black-Eyed Susan and at least two called
Snow-in-Summer. Some plants have more than one common name -- Traveller's
Joy and Old Man's Bard are the same plant, but if I know one common name and
you know the other, we won't be able to help each other. Then there are quite
a number of Australian Natives that don't have common names at all.

Yes I know but there is no need unless you have a need of this.
i just grow 'em eat 'em and plant 'em I dont studu 'em till I need to.
Its OK for Jospeh Banks who was a millionare scientist..
Old 20-02-2006, 01:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Jonno wrote:
Cant stand "latin" plant name droppers though.

As was pointed out, there are reasons why knowing the latin name is
necessary., e.g. someone on TV called "Oyster Plants" "Bear Bonnets".

Knowing only the local names can be a trap.

A few cheap books can help in this regard.

Help with passionfruit vine - NSW Australia David Australia 10 08-01-2006 03:03 AM
Help with passionfruit vine - NSW Australia David Gardening 1 18-12-2005 10:02 AM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 02:06 AM
Passionfruit Robby Australia 6 09-12-2003 09:04 PM
Passionfruit (no fruit) brainspace Australia 6 28-03-2003 02:56 AM