Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Emma

Default possum help needed

Hi I need some help with getting rid of possums

We have a huge plum tree in our yard which the possums like to inhabit at
night and we are at our wits end. They fight and carry on during the night
and our footpath and front lawn is COVERED with poo and it stinks. You
cannot walk on the lawn or footpath without your shoe getting covered in
poo.

I have read a previous thread about detering them, but we actually want to
get rid of them and the only way to do that is kill them (preferably
humanely). Shooting is not an option as we are in a residential area. Can
anyone give some other suggestions as to how to do this?

Old 09-05-2003, 04:08 AM
len brauer

g'day emma,

yes shooting is out of the question whether you live in suburbia or
not, they are a protected species. you could contact your local
councilor or ring the EPA office they are able to make decisions to
trap and relocate protected animals.

not sure if this will work but you could put a tin collar around the
trunk of the tree, flat sheet tin around 18 to 20 inches wide and long
enough to surround the trunk can be purchased from most hardware
stores or plumbing supplies. this collar should cover the tree trunk
from about 1.5 meters above ground level and above that to the width
of the tin, you can buy aluminium as well.

keep us informed

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 10-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Emma

Sounds good Len, the only problem is they don't get up the tree via the
trunk. They run across the power lines then into the tree.

"len brauer" wrote in message
g'day emma,

yes shooting is out of the question whether you live in suburbia or
not, they are a protected species. you could contact your local
councilor or ring the EPA office they are able to make decisions to
trap and relocate protected animals.

not sure if this will work but you could put a tin collar around the
trunk of the tree, flat sheet tin around 18 to 20 inches wide and long
enough to surround the trunk can be purchased from most hardware
stores or plumbing supplies. this collar should cover the tree trunk
from about 1.5 meters above ground level and above that to the width
of the tin, you can buy aluminium as well.

keep us informed

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Dwayne

Would the tin collar keep them in the tree so they cant get into your yard?
They must like something that you have in your yard, unless everyone in your
neighborhood has the same problem.

You might get on the internet and type in "get rid of possums" and see what
comes up. I did that with squash bugs and learned how to control them from
a college in Oklahoma.

Good luck. Dwayne

u...

Old 10-05-2003, 09:32 PM
len brauer

g'day emma,

ask the power company to put collars around their poles, you may find
they don't want the possums on their equipment any more than what you
do. ring them put up a good story like maybe you would hate to see the
possums get electrocuted and cause damage to the equipment maybe
causing blackouts.

keep us updated.

len

snipped

Old 12-05-2003, 01:44 PM
China

G'day Emma,
If your local 'National Park' type people will not help, ( try WIRES), then
I would deal with the plum tree. They,(possums), feel at home in the tree
because they know that once a year they beat the local bats to most of the
fruit. Maybe it is time for you to give that tree a serious pruning, and set
it up for some nice new growth for next year, (I'll bet they got all last
years fruit)!

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
evan

gday,
my experiance is that the possums seem to get a taste for a particular
tree and will decimate it, but if you can stop them, even for a short
period, they seem to loose interest and move on. i suggest cutting back
the plum till its more than a reasonable leap away from the power line.
in conjunction with the collars suggested, the possums will find
something else to eat. that worked for a lemon scentd gum in our front
yard. failing that, a cat.A frearms licence and a .177 air rifle and the
neibours will never know! nah, seriously, you canne shoot the things,
but there are heaps of people will come and trap them for you if all
else fails. our council used to hire out traps too. ive already posted
once about the dead possum theory too. i tend to think that theyre part
of the garden. just like the resy of the plants and bugs and all.