Old 11-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Andrew G

Default Yellowing Azaleas

Hi Everyone

Have some Azaleas that are starting to yellow a little.
They had early signs of Azalea Lace bug, which I dealt with. I don't think
the yellowing is linked to the lace bug, as not all had the bug.
My only guess is the ground is too wet. Would this cause it?

The yellowing was first noticed about a week and 1/2 ago, and previous to
that we had about 2 weeks of drizzling rain, and the ground has been quite
wet. I gave them a dose of liquid fertiliser just to hopefully boost them
before spraying for the bugs.
Thanks for any help.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 11-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Flossie

"Andrew G" wrote in message
Hi Everyone

Have some Azaleas that are starting to yellow a little.
They had early signs of Azalea Lace bug, which I dealt with. I don't think
the yellowing is linked to the lace bug, as not all had the bug.
My only guess is the ground is too wet. Would this cause it?

The yellowing was first noticed about a week and 1/2 ago, and previous to
that we had about 2 weeks of drizzling rain, and the ground has been quite
wet. I gave them a dose of liquid fertiliser just to hopefully boost them
before spraying for the bugs.
Thanks for any help.

Hi Andrew

I dont know if this will help, Im no gardening oracle but when my Gardenias
go yellow I have been told it is due to iron deficiancy. I give them each a
jolly good handfull or two of epsom salts each and within days the yellowing
has gone... but as I say, thats for my gardenias, not sure if it relates to
azaleas but its worth a shot.

Floss

Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 AM
Jane VR

Andrew G wrote:
Hi Everyone

Have some Azaleas that are starting to yellow a little.
They had early signs of Azalea Lace bug, which I dealt with. I don't think
the yellowing is linked to the lace bug, as not all had the bug.
My only guess is the ground is too wet. Would this cause it?

The yellowing was first noticed about a week and 1/2 ago, and previous to
that we had about 2 weeks of drizzling rain, and the ground has been quite
wet. I gave them a dose of liquid fertiliser just to hopefully boost them
before spraying for the bugs.
Thanks for any help.

(From the book) Yellow leaves on azaleas are often from lime-induced
chlorosis, so have you been doing any concreting, or spread lime
anywhere else in the past 3 months? Maybe the rain washed it onto the
azaleas. The symptoms are yellowing of the new growth especially, with
the main veins often staying green (iron deficiency).

It also mentions phytophthora. The symptoms for that are leaves
yellowing on one branch first, leaf drop and dieback.

Mottled yellowing is probably due to lace bug.

HTH
Jane

Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Andrew G

"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...

(From the book) Yellow leaves on azaleas are often from lime-induced
chlorosis, so have you been doing any concreting, or spread lime
anywhere else in the past 3 months? Maybe the rain washed it onto the
azaleas. The symptoms are yellowing of the new growth especially, with
the main veins often staying green (iron deficiency).

Will check the "vein" thing tomorrow. Did some concreting in one part of the
garden, but other parts are nowhere near the concreting.

It also mentions phytophthora. The symptoms for that are leaves
yellowing on one branch first, leaf drop and dieback.

This could be a possibility. I lost the leaves last year around the same
time after yellowing, to the point you could swear they were deciduous. My
g/f beleives the ground was too wet back then, she may be right. I just
thought the loss was due to the lace bug as I didn't spray for it last year
(Rogor not being a favourite of mine)
But Phytophora is a root rot IIRC. So quite possibly this is the case.
Thanks Jane, for the help, thanks too flossie.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
China

You said - " I have some Azaleas that are starting to yellow a little."
This is a classic symptom of a plant about to make new growth, (ie - not a
problem), possibly because of the recent rain. It is also that time of the
year when Azalias start to 'grow and shed' for their pre-winter flowering.
Sit back and observe! And maybe another feed in a month or two, this is my
experience.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Andrew G

"China" wrote in message
. ..

You said - " I have some Azaleas that are starting to yellow a little."
This is a classic symptom of a plant about to make new growth, (ie - not

problem), possibly because of the recent rain. It is also that time of the
year when Azalias start to 'grow and shed' for their pre-winter

flowering.
Sit back and observe! And maybe another feed in a month or two, this is my
experience.

Ahhh, ok, thanks for this
Could explain why they are ALL doing it, and why they did it last year,
then came back without help. I was just hoping I could stop it this time :-)
Oh, and probably why the ones at work seem to be doing it too.
Hey, you aren't that far away, I'm in Forster :-)
Hope you are getting the rain out your way, and more.
Actually, hope many of you are getting some of this current, and "next few
days" rain