Old 12-05-2003, 03:32 AM
david Isaacs

Default Staghorn problem

We have recently moved into a villa on the central coast of NSW that has a
large staghorn, almost six feet across and much admired. However the large
leaves, or are they called fonds, at the top two or three layers are
browning at the tips. The very top layer is all brown. The previous owner
has been feeding it cut up banana leaves and watering about once a week in
the summer, less in the cooler seasons.
Has anyone got an answer for this browning?
I have read online that a more modern way of feeding staghorns is to use a
water soluble fertiliser. Any thought on this please?
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave Isaacs.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 AM
len brauer

g'day david,

i've had lots of stag's in my time when they are that large or almost
any size i've never fed them just given the the right humidity and the
right water. what you need to do is mimmick what they get in the wild,
and mostly what they get is humidity and moisture.

it is too easy to over feed especially with material such as banana
skins and too easy to over or under water when they are that large.

i would suggest to modify your watering for now maybe a good deep
water once a week unless the plant gets a lot of sun or wind then
increase watering, the new frond growth will let you know when you get
it right.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Andrew G

"david Isaacs" wrote in message
We have recently moved into a villa on the central coast of NSW that has a
large staghorn, almost six feet across and much admired. However the large
leaves, or are they called fonds, at the top two or three layers are
browning at the tips. The very top layer is all brown. The previous owner
has been feeding it cut up banana leaves and watering about once a week in
the summer, less in the cooler seasons.

Best not to feed it banana skins. I know my parents used to always do this,
and when doing my trade I asked why people do it. The answer was "not sure,
but don't".
Perhaps some old myth that it's a good idea. "Parents/grandparents used to
do it, so I should to"
The water may be too much too, but not sure.
Normally they will catch leaf litter and such from surrounding trees. If
it's not naturally catching it due to lack of surrounding trees, they try a
handfull of leaves you collect off the ground every few weeks, or month.
Not sure about the water souluble fertiliser bit.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 12-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , Andrew G wrote:
Best not to feed it banana skins. I know my parents used to always do this,
and when doing my trade I asked why people do it. The answer was "not sure,
but don't".
Perhaps some old myth that it's a good idea. "Parents/grandparents used to
do it, so I should to"

Hmmm I always thought it was for potassium. At least my mum feeds hers
and it hasn't done any harm.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia
Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
rapdor

an authorities author on ferns has this to say re fertilizing staghorns:

"Fertilize with liquid organic fertilizers and sprinkle about 5g of
slow-release fertilizer granules into the bowl at intervals. Every few
months place small pieces of aged hardened cow manure in the bowl."
(Australian Ferns by Calder H Chaffey, pub 1999)

I've never known any reason not to following this guy's advice.