Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Shane

Default Topdressing lawn

Hi,
I have a 12mth old established Wintergreen cough lawn in good condition, but
with many small bumps and pits from when it was laid remaining. I would like
to level it out to obtain as level a surface as possible and am fairly sure
topdressing it is the solution.
My question is what time of year is the best time to go about it and I have
heard that sometimes loam is used and sometimes sand is used? Any other
pointers would be appreciated, I live in Adelaide.

Old 13-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Bob Incognito

Whilst rampantly masturbating, on Mon, 12 May 2003
23:54:57 +0930, "Shane"
wrote:

I live in Adelaide.

That'syour first major problem... :-)

Compromise, Conformity, Assimulation, Submission
Ignorance, Hypocrisy, Brutality, The Elite
All of which are American dreams....

Old 13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Andrew G

"Shane" wrote in message
u...
Hi,
I have a 12mth old established Wintergreen cough lawn in good condition,

but
with many small bumps and pits from when it was laid remaining. I would

like
to level it out to obtain as level a surface as possible and am fairly

sure
topdressing it is the solution.
My question is what time of year is the best time to go about it and I

have
heard that sometimes loam is used and sometimes sand is used? Any other
pointers would be appreciated, I live in Adelaide.

Heading into winter now so it's not really the ultimate time.
Wait 'till the end of winter, start of spring.
No harm in using sand, mixed with some chook poo. Probably 70% sand, 30%
chook poo. Throw on then level out. A lawn level rake is good for this, but
so is an old wooden window frame, a large (2 or 3m, by 2 or 3m) piece of
reinforcement, or if you are feeling strong, awooden brick pallet.
Drag any of the above over the area after spreading it a little. Should work
well.
Water in, and it'll be all good.
I have heard of loam, good garden soil being used, but there is no real need
for it.

Good luck

Lawn Topdressing Mr David R Thomas Australia 10 29-11-2013 09:35 AM
Compost topdressing JohnnyC Gardening 10 28-04-2008 03:23 AM
lawn topdressing [email protected] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2006 08:51 PM
Using compost for topdressing a lawn? Ignoramus29645 Gardening 2 26-05-2004 06:04 PM
Using compost as topdressing for lawn? Ahroo Gardening 0 14-04-2003 11:08 PM