Old 14-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Cynthia

Default Animal grasscutter?

Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can attract into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the garden.

I'm looking for something which will keep the grass short and save me from
having to mow it myself :-)

If there is such a creature, would you know if it comes with it's own set of
problems and how to keep them under control?

Cynthia.

Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Graham Cairns

On Sat, 10 May 2003 10:00:36 +1000, "Cynthia"
wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can attract into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the garden.

You could try guinea pigs - but make sure they are not of mixed
gender, or you'll have more hamsters than you know what to do with!
:-)
..

I've inherited a couple and we have them in a 1m x 30cm cage with no
base.

Every day, (or twice a day by preference) I move 'em ... and they
munch away merrily.

Of course, they also need other foods .. greens, carrots, and they
seem to love stale Corn Thins for some reason ...

The biggest problem is that they can eat the grass right down to the
roots ... and if it rains soon after all you get is a 1m x 30cm
rectangle of guinea-pig-poop-and-mud slush.

But the grass grows back quite quickly, then, for some reason :-)

GraC

Old 23-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Graham Cairns wrote:

I've inherited a couple of guinea pigs and we have them in a 1m x 30cm cage
with no base.

Please make them a bigger cage -- that one doesn't give them enough exercise.
I've made an outdoor run from 3ft boards, giving 9 sq ft. for my three.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990