Old 14-05-2003, 12:56 PM
DotCom.Com.HeyYou.AU

Default Is it a good time to sow lawn

I live in melbourne (Broady Bronx) and want to know if its a good time to
sow some lawn in my back yard now. any place i can get some "How To's "
advice on preparing the soil and what type of seeds etc....

Old 15-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Andrew G

"DotCom.Com.HeyYou.AU" wrote in message
u...
I live in melbourne (Broady Bronx) and want to know if its a good time to
sow some lawn in my back yard now. any place i can get some "How To's "
advice on preparing the soil and what type of seeds etc....

Hi there.
Heading into winter is not usually the best time. You may get away with it
if you choose a cool season grass. Forget it if you get frosts in your area.
It would be best to sow at end of Winter, after the last frost.
Best to check with local Nurseries as to what seed is good for your area.
Take into account rainfall, shade and so on. You don't want sun loving grass
in shade, or grass that likes moisture in drought areas.
If you want a nice lawn try and avoid the "typical" seed mixes avaialble at
Kmart and other similar places. They are good for stabilising an area, and
ok for quick lawn, but if you want really good looking lawn they aren't the
best.
They have a breakdown of what seed is in them. If you take a look, you will
notice Perennial Rygrass is the highest rate, with others following. I have
seen some with Mullumbimby Couch, something which you don't want in the
garden.
I have used the mix myself, on my parents lawn. It did work ok for a back
lawn that was previously just weeds.
As for preparing the soil.
Mow it, then a couple of days after spray the exisitng area with Roundup
(Glyphosate). Allow up to 4 weeks, then spray again (don't mow).
Scrape or fork the area over, level out, then the seed is ready to go down.
This is only a rough guide, and depending on how things grew there before
should be taken into account. Perhaps a pH check wouldn't go astray.
Spread seed on moist ground, and even rake in lightly, or "tamp" down.
Keep damp, but not wet. Then don't allow to dry out once seeds start
sprouting.
Also once you have seeded it, keep on top of weeds that may pop up. It
generally looks after itself once the grass gets up and thick.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply