Old 13-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Sue

Default Help burn palms

Hi
I think I made a major mistake yesterday.

A bit of history first, I have a new garden around 3 months old and I
live in an area where the temperatures at the moment are constantly over
40C.

Since it was a cool morning, (only around 28C) I decided to water my
golden cane palms with Fish Emulsion. I have been using Seasol and
Powerfeed but thought I may give this a go to boost them along a bit.
Anyway, I read the bottle and it said nothing about not watering the foliage
so that is what I did. This morning I notice that they all have wilted
browning leaves. I guess it is too late to do anything now but if you have
any suggestions I would gladly welcome them. Fortunately I didn't water the
foliage on the Foxtails!!

Sue Karratha WA

Old 14-02-2003, 03:22 AM
len brauer

g'day sue,

generally good practise not to foliage feed any plant before the sun
always after the heat of the sun is gone generaly late arvo'. you
don't say how big the palms are but 1 or 2 good deep waterings a week
should do them.

also when foliar feeding the safest is to mix the formula at about 1/4
the recommneded best to feed more often with weeker solutions.

the damaged fronds will die eventually and they will be replaced by
new fronds as the plam grows, so the damage will only be temporary.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

question about 'sun burn' or 'lamp burn' J Fortuna Orchids 11 20-01-2005 12:16 AM
question about 'sun burn' or 'lamp burn' J Fortuna Orchids 0 12-01-2005 02:52 AM
Christmas Palms have brown Spots on leaves...HELP! Jason Gardening 6 23-04-2004 01:03 AM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 05:15 AM