Old 18-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Flossie

Default Mulching Bulbs

Hello

I have received such wonderful advice in the past so once again I am here to
pick your brains if I may.

I have planted a pile of bulbs and am rejoicing in seeing a few little
sprouts coming through. (all my previous efforts at bulb growing have been
disastrous)... anyway my question is this. Bulbs are obvioulsy a colder
weather growing plant, so I am assuming they like the lower temps... (yes I
know duh!!! ) but should I mulch them? Mulch creates heat so what is best
to use... or should I not mulch at all?

Thanks again... in anticipation.

Flossie :-)

Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Flossie

Me again...

I have just done some reading on how to keep snails away and I see that
sawdust is a great repelent... how would my bulbs go if I put this around
them?

From memory I have planted tulips, daffodils, ranunculis (sorry bout the
spelling), anemonies, freesias and a handful of others... (cant remember
what varieties).

Old 18-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Andrew G

"Flossie" wrote in message
Hello

I have received such wonderful advice in the past so once again I am here

pick your brains if I may.

I have planted a pile of bulbs and am rejoicing in seeing a few little
sprouts coming through. (all my previous efforts at bulb growing have

been
disastrous)... anyway my question is this. Bulbs are obvioulsy a colder
weather growing plant, so I am assuming they like the lower temps... (yes

know duh!!! ) but should I mulch them? Mulch creates heat so what is

best
to use... or should I not mulch at all?

In general Mulch shouldn't generate heat. Mulch will break down slowly over
time in the garden generating no noticeable heat. But put on mulch that is
fresh (ie the mulch has just been created), and it will breakdown over a few
weeks, creating high heat. You don't want this as it robs the soil of
Nitrogen. e.g. If you get mulch that has been made from a Mulcher/Shredder,
let it sit for a while and let it break down a bit before putting on the
garden.

You could Mulch them, it won't hurt. Certainly the heat thing won't be a
problem. It will only keep the moisture in better, and the surface temp of
the soil won't flucuate as much. It may pay off to pull the mulch away from
the "stems" once they pop up though, to avoid rot.

Things like Irises with Rhizomes shouldn't be mulched in between as it can
rot them

Good luck

Old 18-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Andrew G

"Flossie" wrote in message
Me again...

I have just done some reading on how to keep snails away and I see that
sawdust is a great repelent... how would my bulbs go if I put this around
them?

Use old sawdust that has sat for a while, or allowed to break down. For the
same reasons in my reply to your Mulching question. But then, a light
sprinkle may not hurt, but not sure if that's enough to deter snails.
Certainly don't put a thick coating.
I've heard of crushed egshells being used. Not sure if or how it works.
Maybe the idea is for the shells to stick to the snail. I know it's not for
the reason of the sharp edges on the shell, as I saw a show once that said a
snails slimy trail will protect it from moving along a razor blade edge.

From memory I have planted tulips, daffodils, ranunculis (sorry bout the

"Flossie" wrote in message
Hello

I have received such wonderful advice in the past so once again I am

here
pick your brains if I may.

I have planted a pile of bulbs and am rejoicing in seeing a few little
sprouts coming through. (all my previous efforts at bulb growing have

been
disastrous)... anyway my question is this. Bulbs are obvioulsy a colder
weather growing plant, so I am assuming they like the lower temps...

(yes
know duh!!! ) but should I mulch them? Mulch creates heat so what is

best
to use... or should I not mulch at all?

Thanks again... in anticipation.

Flossie :-)

Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
The importance of Mulching GardeningGuy Gardening 7 18-06-2003 03:56 PM
gum leaves mulching and fast break down PITS Australia 1 01-05-2003 12:20 AM
tree...mulching cn Texas 0 14-04-2003 10:08 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM