Old 16-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Gabra

Default Fruit Fly

"Chookie" wrote in message
news:ehrebeniuk-E315F7.13481002022003@news...
In article ,
"Janet" wrote:

Can someone please give me some idea on how to keep fruit fly from

ruining
my capsicums.

Fruit fly usually appear in my back yard from January, so I use these

methods:

* avoid growing things that fruit fly eat, if you can (I plant tomatoes
because you can't get decent ones at the shops). I suppose I am asking if

you
really want to grow capsicum.

* grow varieties that fruit fly aren't keen on (eg cherry tomatoes -- and

they
haven't gone for my mini capsicum either).

* plant early-cropping varieties (though I'm not sure this is possible in
Hervey Bay -- do you get them all year round?)

* Practice good garden hygiene -- remove blown fruit, tie up in plastic

bag
and leave in sunshine before composting, or toss in garbage.

* Spray with pyrethrum

* Spray with stronger stuff and hang baits.

I have a toddler so I am avoiding spraying/baiting. Fortunately the
unseasonally low humidity seems to have kept them away this year.
Unfortunately it's also meant that the tomatoes don't bear very well!

Would using plastic bags help? I don't like spraying either. It's onerous
work, I know.

Old 23-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Gabra" wrote:

Would using plastic bags help? I don't like spraying either. It's onerous
work, I know.

Maybe paper bags would be better -- people use them on mango trees.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

The most consistent empirical proof from history is the doctrine of human
depravity. -- Chuck Colson

white fly outdoors(also black and green fly) , how do I get rid of them ? Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 1 10-11-2005 03:07 PM
any help please,,, White fly,,, green fly and black fly gARY United Kingdom 0 30-04-2004 12:10 AM
Fly Away and similar carrots supposedly resistant to root fly Steve Harris United Kingdom 2 02-01-2004 12:12 PM
Fruit Fly Janet Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
fruit fly and plum tree Darryn Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM